The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-23-2023, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardo View Post
Regular acoustic - back them off a good bit and use side cutters across them at about the middle of the sound hole.
Genuine question - what is the purpose of cutting them at the sound hole? I’ve seen others say they do that too, but I don’t get it. Why not just slack them all off, take the pins out, take the ball ends out of the pin hole, unwind the strings from the tuner-post, roll all six up together, and dispose of them?

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 03-23-2023 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-23-2023, 12:45 AM
Charter Member

Default String changing question

The only caution I’d say when taking them all off, on some guitars the saddle can fall out if you turn it over, during polishing or cleaning. Don’t lose it and keep track of which way it goes.
I usually do as Rosewood99 above, 3 at a time, unless a serious fretboard cleaning is due. Enjoy.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Genuine question - what is the purpose of cutting them at the sound hole? I’ve seen others say they do that too, but I don’t get it. Why not just slack them all off, take the pins out, take the ball ends out of the pin hole, unwind the strings from the tuner-post, roll all six up together, and dispose of them?
I don’t do the cutting method either, but I have seen shops do this. I think because it is slightly faster. And over the sound hole so the cutters won’t scratch anything.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
I don’t do the cutting method either, but I have seen shops do this. I think because it is slightly faster. And over the sound hole so the cutters won’t scratch anything.
Thanks TG. I do cut the strings over the soundhole on my Lowdens because of the pinless bridge - it makes drawing the string back through the bridge easier - but I’ve been puzzled as to why some folks cut the strings on a pin-bridge guitar, it doesn’t seem to me to serve a real purpose.

I guess it’s just one more ‘each to his own’ kinda thang!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-23-2023, 08:25 AM

On the subject of cutting and each of us having our own favorite, mine has always been to unwind enough from the tuner to where I can pull it straight up and away from the peghead once there's enough slack to allow it to just zip off.

For my Floyd equipped guitars I press down on the bar to loosen the strings with my left hand and loosen the lock screws, then grab the string beyond the locking nut and finish the same way as with the acoustics.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 03-23-2023, 08:57 AM

Floating bridges, archtops, etc. aside when it comes to plain old fixed-bridge acoustic guitars I certainly wouldn't want to own one that's so delicate I can't have all six strings off for ten minutes during a string change. If that's going to mess it up somehow, then it's going to be hopelessly delicate and unstable for normal use.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 03-23-2023, 12:01 PM

I love to read. Many times I learn new and wonderful things about this hobby, lifestyle, job, or whatever word is used as a descriptor pertaining to you and your guitars. To me, deep into these golden years, my guitars and making music is everything.

I remember continually breaking high e-strings while I was re-stringing my guitar at ten years old. Eventually I got the hang of it, and not only did I get the hang of it but really enjoyed changing guitar strings.
I got tremendous satisfaction out of getting the strings perfectly wrapped around the tuning machine’s post with no overlap.

Now much older, the constant blue light emanating from the iPhone or iPad keeps telling me I don’t know how to string a guitar correctly.
Here’s my advice, string your guitar the way you like. Cut one string at a time. Cut all the strings at once. Tie a bow or don’t, make the sign of the cross, blow on a dandelion and make a wish if that’s what works for you.

Your guitar is your guitar. Treat it that way. And always have fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1566D764-4944-47D8-8BEF-4CB07662776A.jpg (28.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 993440C3-6C0F-4B0D-988D-0F0D140EE8B5.jpg (38.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-23-2023, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

One-at-a-time is good advice for a beginner. That way there are intact examples to refer to, and less cause for confusion or anxiety.

An analogy: working on rear drum brakes on a car. Keep one side intact to serve as an example of how it looks when it's all back together.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion