The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-22-2023, 04:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I’d do it too, if I played in standard tuning. Most of the time, my X20 is in open D or DADGAD, which means that a 12-53 set is at around the same total tension as an 11-52 set. I’d be a little wary of things being a tad sloppy in the lower tuning.

That being said, I think that there’s a real over-emphasis on how ‘loud’ a guitar needs to be. Surely, how comfortable and encouraging it is to the user/owner/player is the most important thing?

If you’re playing with a group of people who don’t have the courtesy to back off and hear what you have to play, then it’s just an appendage-waving event, and yet another example of the idiotic guitar-is-a-competition mentality.

I don't know why you would worry. I play 11-52's on all my guitars. With lowest action you're likely to find.

I play in standard E tuning, Standard D tuning, open G, Open D, Drop D.

I keep a truss rod wrench in all my cases. Slight adjustments are not uncommon, with action this low.

I play mostly fingerstyle. Or beat it with a pick. Not a Bluegrasser, so I can't say for that style.

Lighter strings, you may want a slightly lighter pick, If using a pick.
Old 03-22-2023, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

I've seen this video and a similar one by Tony Polecastro.

I use "wood" guitars.

They haven't changed my mind in any way.

I use two gauges - mediums (13-56), and lights (12-53/4)

I use mediums on my larger guitars - dreads, jumbo, archtops, National resonator, and Weissenborn style.

I use lights on my 000,00, l-00 style, and 0

I am not currently minded to change.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
I don't know why you would worry. I play 11-52's on all my guitars. With lowest action you're likely to find.
Oh, I’m not worried about it. This does’t even rise to the level of ‘mild concern’

We all have different preferences, different hand strengths, different playing styles. One size most definitely does not fit all.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-22-2023, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Your recommendation for Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze on the Journey OF660 worked out well so you got "street cred"

FWIW the OF660 is now wearing Elixir Nanoweb PB mediums 13-56 and I like them. Again you never know unless you try

Well, thanks! The OF660 is not super picky about strings like the RainSong I once had. On the Journey strings can sound from just okay to great, Aluminum Bronze being in the "great" category. My issue with them is the way they feel and that they turn my fingers black. I can't put my finger on why they work so well on the OF660 can you?

The Journey shipped to me with Elixir PB lights and I liked them- more than I thought I would. I find the Journey on the quiet side and actually lacking treble response (or maybe overwhelmed a bit from good bass that belies its size?) Someone here recommended Elixir HD Light, so I have a sets of both 80/20 and PB on deck.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:23 PM

Presently using Magma 10-48 Phosphor Bronze Flat wound on all my wood and carbon fiber acoustic guitars.
All tuned E-e except the Emerald x30 that's tuned D-d.
Have always used 10s or 11s on my acoustic and electric guitars.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber