The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2020, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Singalong in the driveway

In this time of social isolation, I would like to have a togetherness activity for my neighbors...a singalong in my driveway...neighbors bring their own chairs, sit six feet apart, etc. (I thought Corona beer would be super-appropriate )Maybe make it into a weekly thing. My songs are stored on my iPad on the Songbook app, but I really don’t want the expense and trouble of printing out song books.

So how do I distribute the lyrics? Would appreciate your ideas.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post

Do you have a way to project the lyrics up on a big screen?
Old 03-26-2020, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Post them on Google Docs (or even a social media platform) or some other cloud platform and text/email a link to everyone to read off their phones.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Just do songs they are already familiar with.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
In this time of social isolation, I would like to have a togetherness activity for my neighbors...a singalong in my driveway...neighbors bring their own chairs, sit six feet apart, etc. (I thought Corona beer would be super-appropriate )Maybe make it into a weekly thing. My songs are stored on my iPad on the Songbook app, but I really don’t want the expense and trouble of printing out song books.

How's that gonna work, with it being a gathering (is that still allowed where you are)?

Even two people are supposed to keep two metres/yards apart here.

I had been thinking of getting together in a park with my two picking partners, but it wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't work.

We are expecting a 12 week isolation period here ... at least.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:45 PM

I’ve been out a couple of times for errands. I see some people maintaining their distance and some not. Today two gentlemen in our neighborhood were outside chatting and they weren’t six feet apart. Both of them are over 65 years old.
There you go.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-26-2020, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Nope, no way to project words...planning on a daytime event.

Maybe Google Docs...thanks, I’ll check it out.

Hmmm, if we sat in a circle, six feet (2 yards) between adjacent people, I was thinking this would be legal and okay.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas and comments.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nope, no way to project words...planning on a daytime event.

Maybe Google Docs...thanks, I’ll check it out.

Hmmm, if we sat in a circle, six feet (2 yards) between adjacent people, I was thinking this would be legal and okay.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas and comments.
Here in UK it wouldn't be permitted.

Apparently the USA has the largest record of infections now.
It's a lovely idea, but we all need to keep everyone safe!

How about a Youtube "house concert instead?"
Old 03-27-2020, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

I was also thinking of how some friends who I play music with at church could get together for a "Social Distanced" happy hour this afternoon. Everyone bringing their own chair, food, drink, and distancing ourselves more than six feet apart. Most of them seemed eager to try it but I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do as much as I want to see them and be with them. It's difficult to know what's going to create an opportunity for this virus to spread given someone is infected? Is six feet enough?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-27-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

I've got to say, that these look like bad ideas. Stay inside. Stay away from others. Go sit on your porch and play guitar and don't make a party out of it.

Hopefully, we can all get together with our friends when this is over, play some new songs, and have a good time again.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Maybe so but both my wife and I have to go out today. I'd rather not but it's necessary. Taking all precautions however and making our time away from home minimal. Be safe folks and be well!

PS: Been "porch picking" a lot. It helps just to be outside and get some fresh air...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-27-2020, 09:22 AM

If you maintain safe distance then there should be no issues. The news has shown a few “free live music” events with people maintaining lots of distance from each other.. I have done one of these with no issues and plan to do another one if the sun peeks out again.

Here is a key issue.... if folks don’t maintain AT LEAST a safe distance then you have to call them on it, or don’t play. Pretty simple.
We need to stop with the finger pointing and finding excuses. The issue should be how can we safely entertain neighbors and follow the guidelines. The rules are quite specific about being outside and I will follow them.
Again, the issue is how can we entertain in our neighborhoods with live music and not violate any of the guidelines. If someone cannot do this correctly then you should not be doing this at all.
To be clear, I am not talking about 100 people in my yard. More like 10 in the street....

I think......
Old 03-27-2020, 09:28 AM
Anticipation Junkie

PLEASE...don’t do it. It’s not worth the risk. You don’t want to be the host where someone gets sick, or worse. If you were in Canada, it would not be allowed or tolerated.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:07 AM

Yeah, for sure that would not be allowed here right now.

I totally get what you are trying to do. No doubt. It is a nice thought, but right now there are probably other safer ways to achieve this connectedness you seek. The times of normalcy will come again.

The other thing I would say is that it would probably be helpful/wise to try and be sensitive to the many lives that are being touched in horrible ways right now by this thing.

These types of explicit gatherings could be viewed as insensitive at a time when thousands upon thousands of people are dying from this affliction. Frankly, some will receive this as bad form for sure. If you’re gonna do it, at an absolutely minimum you’d wanna be sure that someone in your immediate area has not lost a love one to this killer.

My wife and her colleagues recently presided over their first COVID death in the hospital she works at. Things are starting to not be good with this thing for sure.

I know what you are trying to do there. The isolation we are all experiencing right now is less than ideal. It’s tough, and it’s gonna get more annoying. It would be nice to be able to strike a balance. Maybe things will loosen up a bit over the coming weeks. Hope so. Bah.

Be safe everyone.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-27-2020, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Here in the Uk we were advised, and warned then last night at, I think about 10.p.m new laws were enforced with police enable to stop cars, and pedestrians and fine them if nost satisfied with their reasons for being out.

This is LOCKDOWN. and it is the only way that this disease can be contained.

two yard / two metres et., is a very vague guideline. The best defence is a brick wall, and scrupulous hygiene.
There are cases recoded here of people getting the virus with no known connection.
Door handles, an airborne corona, on the packing of some food. Who knows.

The USA will have to lock down and enforce it, like everybody else. BTW it seems to be moving into Africa now!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion