The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-23-2020, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Economic Elephant

My wife used to talk to her two sisters by text and by phone often during the week. Sometimes several times a day now that we are all retired. I noticed it's been real quit lately so I asked my wife why. Then she mentioned her one sister who's married to my brother said he's depressed because he's lost so much money. She's not supposed to say anything. Her other sister mentioned a little while ago that they were losing money. And nobody's talking anymore. So there's an elephant amongst us. I emphasize and understand but it's still to bad. In these times when we can all use each other's support, this.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-23-2020, 07:46 PM

Financial hardship is certainly a source of depression. I hope they will be ok.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:01 PM

Very sorry to read what is going on in your family. Sadly I don't think we are even close to having a turnaround. These are going to be very tough times ahead.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
Very sorry to read what is going on in your family. Sadly I don't think we are even close to having a turnaround. These are going to be very tough times ahead.
Here in the U.S., the thinking is that we're in for at least 18 months of negative economic growth and slow recovery as the pandemic runs its course.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:48 AM

The economy is taking the biggest hit since the Great Depression. I'm thinking giving gifts is the wrong approach.

Just me.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-07-2020 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Removed politics
Old 03-24-2020, 10:41 AM

Red face

Did he foolishly sell stock holdings? You haven’t lost invested money unless you sell it. Look how much the market is up today and we aren’t at the end of the tunnel yet.

I remember in 87 and 2008 people panic selling and locking in “paper reductions “ into real losses. Yet if they would have not panicked, they would have seen everything return to normal.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:48 AM

Sorry to hear of your situation. Family is so important and we must support each other - especially through the hard times. My wife is a nurse in a cardiology clinic and had her hours cut in half as they are not seeing non-emergency cases right now. It is a strain on our budget for sure but I'm keeping a stiff upper lip. Best to you and hope everything works out for ya'll. Kent
2017 D'angelico ES1 Archtop
2018 Taylor 914ce
2019 Martin HD-28e
Old 03-26-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Did he foolishly sell stock holdings? You haven’t lost invested money unless you sell it. Look how much the market is up today and we aren’t at the end of the tunnel yet.

I remember in 87 and 2008 people panic selling and locking in “paper reductions “ into real losses. Yet if they would have not panicked, they would have seen everything return to normal.
For the market, this is important info in these uncertain times. People panicked and sold when the market began falling in 2008, which turned into actual losses. Not everyone is in a position to weather the storm, but for those who can, we need to refrain from panicking and ride it out. And for some who have disposable income, it could even represent a buying opportunity. Stocks increased 20% this week, driven by the COVID bailout.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

That’s the key. And limit what news outlets and which “experts” you listen to. There’s a lot of misinformation and half-information going around.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Some folks were caught “in retirement” and had to take their holdings for income at the time. They had no choice.
In fact it was quite a few of them. I had a friend who was in that boat and he and his wife ran out of their retirement nest-egg money because of their losses.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-26-2020, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

I was thinking about puuting my pension investments into cash, but hesitated. I have stopped taking an income from it for 6-12 months. We'll see.

If I had put it into cash, the inevitable inflation would make it relatively valueless any way.

Tie yourself to the mast and hold on tight.

Whet is done is done, just plan for the future.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Some folks were caught “in retirement” and had to take their holdings for income at the time. They had no choice.
I have a neighbour who was in exactly that situation - retired teacher who took a huge hit in 2008-2009, with two kids in college earning worthless degrees.

He took a job at Target and his wife carried on working - and now, 10+ years later, they appear to be doing fine.

He still works at Target, because he actually enjoys it, but they still have an under-employed dance major living with them...

Funny how stuff works out in the long run.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 03-26-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:05 PM

As Horse said, you don't lose anything or gain anything until you sell your position. The market will come back, you can count on it. No one knows how long it will be but it will happen.

Secondly no one that owns a stock should own that stock without a trailing stop order. No exceptions.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Guy View Post
Here in the U.S., the thinking is that we're in for at least 18 months of negative economic growth and slow recovery as the pandemic runs its course.
Negative economic “Growth” ??
Old 03-27-2020, 10:12 AM

Us retired folks are taking a hit on our nest eggs ... again! We haven't used any of it to live on ... yet ... so it's status quo as far as income/expenses. It isn't a "loss" until you cash in your chips, and we won't.

I've had moments where I thought I was entering Bunyan's "Slough of Despond" but I hitch up my big boy pants, and find something to do. I just raked out the gardens (it's 60'F and climbing here today) and feel fine. Had a chat with my next door neighbor across the fence. Yesterday I visited a friend, maintaining more than adequate separation.

I'm concerned about the economy like everyone else, but not to the point of depression (no pun intended). It isn't easy but we need to shake off the worry and fears (well justified, to be sure) and find ways to cope with ever-increasing uncertainties. That's just how it is ... now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic