The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2020, 01:47 PM

Default Opinions on Martin 00-X2E or similar?

I’m interested in this guitar, or the 000 version. This looks like a minor update of the X1 series. $599 normally.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...nalizedClickCP

Anyone have experience with it, or the 000? Feel, playability, tone (especially when plugged in)?

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2020, 06:08 PM

I had a 000X1 for a while and it was pretty good. Comfortable to play and not bad sounding at all. Pickup was okay, pretty much your bone standard UST sound.

For that kind of money though, I would be looking at Eastman’s E1 or the Martin Dread Juniors new, or Eastman’s E6/E8 guitars or Martin’s Road/10 Series guitars used. Other options too I’m sure. You can definitely get into all solid wood in that price range.

Last edited by canyongargon; 03-21-2020 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:29 PM

Great answers. Thanks much!

And I’ll check out those other options you mention.

Appreciate it.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:39 PM

Get the e6 in the classified here
Old 03-23-2020, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

I've had this Martin GPCX for almost a year;

I got a very good deal on it and I keep it at my Upstate house. I also had my Dread Jr there but I just sold it because the GPCX is just a better playing and sounding guitar. With it's gig bag, it can do any travel duty, so the GP just took it's spot.

The solid wood neck and Morado fretboard and bridge are huge improvements for the Martin X guitars. I play a similar GPCX with the laminated neck/richlite fretboard and it was much heavier and unbalanced. This one is actually lighter than my Road Series GPC. When I play both back to back, they both sound like Martins and they both sound different. The Road Series being more mellow and philharmonic sounding where the X is more Honky Tonk/Rock & Roll.

One other thing, you should be able to get that guitar for less. Just ask, I did and I got a very good deal.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:19 AM

Awesome answer, @lowrider. Super helpful. Makes me want o buy one now.

What exact model is yours? I see it’s a cutaway.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Mine is the 20th Anniversary CPCX from last year. Right now it's the only guitar I have at the Upstate house. I have three better Maritn's at my Long Island house and I'm fine with only this one up here.

We will probably be staying up here almost full time to the next 6 to 12 months so I'll be bringing the others up. But it's more security than because I need the tone.

At my jam group last month, one of the guys complimented the guitar. When I let him play it, he couldn't believe it wasn't all wood.

Some people like to knock the Martin X guitars, but to me, as someone who likes the Martin sound, you can't find anything like them at the price.

Last edited by lowrider; 03-23-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:03 PM

Hey, this was also super helpful and good to know. I read this earlier today but couldn’t reply.

Appreciate the info and perspective!
Old 03-24-2020, 09:56 AM

I have been looking at the 000-x2e as well.

The changes amount to this (as far as I can tell)
- Scalloped braces
- Rosewood bridge and fingerboard
- Solid wood neck (instead of laminated)
- Looks like a darker headstock (can't really tell)
- Fret board markers on the face, not the side only
- Padded soft case included

It apparently has better projection and volume. I was leaning towards the x1E version instead to use as a more durable travel guitar, but I don't know.

...still on the fence.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticWoody View Post
I have been looking at the 000-x2e as well.

The changes amount to this (as far as I can tell)
- Scalloped braces
- Rosewood bridge and fingerboard
- Solid wood neck (instead of laminated)
- Looks like a darker headstock (can't really tell)
- Fret board markers on the face, not the side only
- Padded soft case included

It apparently has better projection and volume. I was leaning towards the x1E version instead to use as a more durable travel guitar, but I don't know.

...still on the fence.
A couple of things;

The Martin X guitars have never been the kind of guitar that you buy with you eyes but if you close you eyes and buy with your ears, you just might find that you like the sound. My first Martin guitar was one of the X dreads with no fret markers and 1 11/16 nut. When I first got it, a friend of mine told me that when I was ready to sell it, he wanted it. He has a D-18 and wanted it as a knock around guitar. About 9 months later, I got a 1 3/4 nut Road Series and sold him the dread. He still has it and still has the d-18. He says that he plays them both about as much.

Scalloped braces; I didn't even realize this and had to look it up. I just thought that my guitar sounded good and it was a good deal

Rosewood bridge and fingerboard; well, it's Morado, aka Bolivian Rosewood, Santos Rosewood, so I guess it's in the rosewood family

Solid neck; the neck is really nice and so much lighter than the old laminated neck.

Fretboard markers; the X series has had had them for a long time. It was only the really early ones that didn't

Soft case; nice addition

Headplate; One thing that really looks good on mine is that the grain in the HPL headplate matches the grain in the Morado fretboard

And finally, with the minimal finish on te guitar top, if you hang on to the guitar long enough, it will get so dark it will match there back and sides. Another friend has a really old one that looks like that.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

To show you how fast the MartinX guitars turn dark, I took another pic today. The first one is when it was new and the second one is today when it's about nine months old;

The guitar almost always stays in it's gig bag and almost never goes outside.

I forgot, it did sit out on a stand for a while last summer, then it went into the gig bag and stayed there.

Last edited by lowrider; 03-28-2020 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:45 PM

I know this is of questionable relevance, but I like the darkened look. Hopefully it has little impact on tonal quality.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:15 AM
Charter Member

I don't think it affects tone at all, but these guitars really do get dark. The minimal finish must not block UV. My friend has one with the mahogany pattern on the back and sides and his top is as dark as the back.

I really like this guitar size. It's gets close to a dread tone but it's much more comfortable to play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion