The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-20-2020, 02:08 PM

Default How has your Daily Life Changed during these Times?

How has your Daily Life Changed during these Times with COVID-19? Are you isolated at home? Working from home? Laid off?

Is there anyone here who's daily routine hasn't changed? If not, do you expect it to change?

Peace and heath to everyone.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:11 PM

I'm teaching (university) from home and it's a little stressful. I'm very good with technology, but trying to get used to the new system, program I use for virtual teaching, and figuring out the logistics of the rest of the semester is a little overwhelming right now.

I'm sure I'll figure things out and get used to everything in a couple of weeks, but right now it's a little crazy.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-20-2020, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

I work from home, so my daily routine is not much different.

My wife and I have been deliberately reducing our outings over the last couple of weeks, and we have reasonable quantities of life's necessities should a more formal shutdown (or illness, of course) mean we need to be more sequestered for a while. She's had some elective surgery canceled (or, more strictly, postponed for the foreseeable future) which is a bit of an inconvenience, but nothing we can't handle.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-20-2020, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Hi Dru,

I’m supposed to be on spring break, so normally I’d be traveling and maybe picking up a gig. No can do.

Next week, all my courses need to be online. That’ll take some doing, but it ain’t impossible. I’ve taught 100% online before. However, I will lose some students—those who struggle to keep focus. This will be a challenge for us. Some of my students need real-time face-to-face interaction. But I have to be asynchronous, given the difficulty that many of my students have with access to technology.

I’m staying at home. Evening comes, I walk my dog in a near-deserted park 4 blocks from here. My cupboards and fridge I judge to be about 2 weeks full.

Yvonne watches the news. I try to limit my doing so. We stream videos at night.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-20-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Hi Dru,

I’m supposed to be on spring break, so normally I’d be traveling and maybe picking up a gig. No can do.

Next week, all my courses need to be online. That’ll take some doing, but it ain’t impossible. I’ve taught 100% online before. However, I will lose some students—those who struggle to keep focus. This will be a challenge for us. Some of my students need real-time face-to-face interaction. But I have to be asynchronous, given the difficulty that many of my students have with access to technology.

I’m staying at home. Evening comes, I walk my dog in a near-deserted park 4 blocks from here. My cupboards and fridge I judge to be about 2 weeks full.

Yvonne watches the news. I try to limit my doing so. We stream videos at night.
You're not doing real time, virtual classes, that run concurrent with the face to face to classes?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-20-2020, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Given where we live and our normal lifestyle and we are retired , very little change.

About the only change is, we normally manage to go out to dinner about once every two weeks which ain't happening.

oh ! I forgot I am not going to the weekly Open mic. Being as old as I am I hope this distancing doesn't go on so long I forget about the open mic altogether.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-20-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I'm teaching (university) from home and it's a little stressful. I'm very good with technology, but trying to get used to the new system, program I use for virtual teaching, and figuring out the logistics of the rest of the semester is a little overwhelming right now.

I'm sure I'll figure things out and get used to everything in a couple of weeks, but right now it's a little crazy.
Good luck with the teaching, Rob. It'll be difficult on some students as well. If you can, try to find someone (teacher) to try some technology things with, such as 'what happens when I push this button'. Kind of like a practice teaching session. Guessing you've already done some of this but perhaps there's more that can be done.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I imagine that would be some steep learning curves for you .
I did take online classes At Berklee Collage of Music and they worked quite well. But of course these were already all set up with the teachers already experienced with the tech and chats and such. Good luck with it

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-20-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

We have had a little disruption, but not much. I am semi-retired with a December event that occupies much of my time the last three months of the year, so that is a long way out from here.

My wife in the medical device research arena, and her company has been tasked with switching their focus on the emerging threat. We set up a home office for her, but she still needs to go in periodically. A big problem is that they are having a difficult time acquiring the necessary equipment for their laboratory, which includes R95 masks and face shields.

On the social side, we stopped going to the gym, but Karen convinced the owner to put his group workouts as an Gotomeeting conference call. They are still doing classes, and we shall see how that holds up going forward.

We haven't been out to eat in ten days, whereas we used to go a couple of times a week. It means my culinary skills, which are rather weak, need to be worked on some more!

I also stopped going to my regularly scheduled jam session as part of the social distancing regime.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 03-20-2020, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You're not doing real time, virtual classes, that run concurrent with the face to face to classes?
Can’t. My students are now away from campus computers and WiFi. Some don’t have laptops. So they may be sitting in the parking lot of McD’s at some time downloading mp3 lectures.

I will set up chats during office hours—and we have already active weekly discussion boards.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-20-2020, 03:37 PM

I'm in more - not eating out as much. No golfing on Fridays. Not much else. Great time to catch up on home chores/repairs.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:

I don’t know of anyone who’s doing that...everything I’ve heard is asynchronous...
Old 03-20-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
I don’t know of anyone who’s doing that...everything I’ve heard is asynchronous...
Great job. It's not every day that you can work asynchronous into a sentence. Unless you work on satellites.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:52 PM

I’m a teacher, so we’ve been in Zoom meetings several time this week planning our distant learning. That will start Monday and we’ll have a block of time where we keep “office hours” and be at our laptop for questions. We’ll see how this goes, but with several rural kids I worry about internet access.

I’m also a coach and wonder about our players who have trained really hard all off season. We’ve sent them some workouts they can do at home, but it’s not the same as being in the weight room and supervised.

My wife is an ICU nurse, so her work schedule is the same, but it’s definitely become more stressful on her on not being exposed if there’s a outbreak at her hospital or bringing it home to our 1 year old.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
...or SAI (serial audio interface), data bus transfers, etc.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic