The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2020, 04:11 AM

Default Dr Ducks Ax Wax on Satin Nitrocellulose

Hi, I have a Martin 000 - 28 which has satin nitrocellulose finish on the neck.

Is anyone using Dr Ducks Ax Wax and String Lube on satin finishes?

I thought I'd check as Martin states you shouldn't use their own polish on Satin finished areas. Martin does recommend Dr Ducks in general for treating the whole guitar, in a video on you tube. But they did not make a distinction regarding satin/gloss finishes regarding Dr Ducks.

I've contacted Dr Duck who just recommended that I try it on a small area and see what happens.

Many thanks.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

I use Dr Ducks very infrequently (once per year or 18 months or so) on my ebony FBs only, just to make them look and feel nice.

For the satin finish on my Lowden, I use Music Nomad Guitar Detailer - again, once per year or 18 months or so - on the body only. On the neck of any guitar, I use only a slightly damp cloth followed by a dry cloth After each playing session. No ‘polish‘ required.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-28-2020, 05:22 AM

Ken Smith Pro Formula is my favorite on satin finish. Makes it feel clean and slickery polished but not glossy. I use Dr Ducks Lightly and wiped well once a year on fretboard and bridge. I’d never use that on neck or body - too oily to me.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:59 AM

Dampen a soft cloth with distilled water to remove old sweat and grime. Not much else is needed to keep it clean.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:22 AM

I very rarely use any kind of wax or polish on my guitars because they just don’t need it. A damp cloth and wiping dry does the trick every time for me.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-28-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin G String View Post
……………...Martin does recommend Dr Ducks in general for treating the whole guitar, in a video on you tube...……..
Please provide the link where you found that recommendation.

I have seen where Dave Doll says that if you get some DDAW on the finish when applying it to the fretboard, it won't hurt the finish.

DDAW is thin oil. Applying it to your guitar is like wiping oil on your car paint to make it shine.

From the MSDS:
"Trade Name and Synonyms: Dr. Ducks Axe Wax & String Lube
Chemical Family: Highly Refined Petroleum Distillates"

Last edited by JonWint; 03-28-2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:52 AM

I use Dr. Duck's only for the fretboard once every year, but never in a finish. I use Virtuoso cleaner for the body and neck every time I change strings.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Please provide the link where you found that recommendation.

Thanks for your input chaps.

I was going to use Dr Duck for the the body and give it a go on the neck too, which is the only area which is finished in satin. But on reflection, I will use Dr D on the ebony fingerboard and bridge. I will use a damp microfibre cloth on the body and neck.

I have been playing an OM, which I built myself about 10 years ago. I don't think I've ever cleaned it. It doesn't look filthy though. I'd like to keep the Martin nice though. It was more than I ever thought I would spend on a guitar.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

I've used Dr. Ducks for the whole guitar application, & it works great! Top, body, neck & fingerboard. As others have stated, overuse is what gets you into trouble; once a year at best. And yes, it works on Martin's satin neck finishes. It's very important to follow the instructions on the bottle; very little, & wiped off very well. And use a seperate dry cotton cloth for final polish.
Steve
Old 03-28-2020, 12:24 PM

Mind you, the neck is developing a sheen now anyway off my hand. Only had it a couple of weeks, but do play 3 or 4 hours a day. its addictive, so responsive! Never really got the satin thing on the neck. I prefer gloss or no finish. I built a strat years ago with a maple fingerboard and sycamore neck, i didn't finish the neck or fingerboard. Lovely to play and sounded great. Looked dirty all the time. EVH ;o)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion