The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2020, 10:01 AM

I can only justify having one guitar...I don't have the space needed to keep multiple guitars away from rambunctious cats. However, I am in the exploratory/planning stages of a new guitar purchase, and it will have to be an instrument that will keep me happy for quite a while.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=cliff_the_stiff;6330481]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
At this point, I am prepared to go entirely carbon fiber with my guitars. My concern is that I don't want to have to care for the guitars, keeping them in their cases, keep them watered, take them in for the occasional adjustments. One issue around my area is that the people I trust to work on my guitars are getting way up there in age and will likely not be available to do that work anymore soon.

I have all that I want in carbon fiber guitars now, and will start selling off my wood guitars when the market comes back. I will take my time because I don't have a pressing need to sell anything, but since I got the carbon fiber guitars I wanted first, I have (in my opinion) too many guitars. At the end, I intend to be down to just 4 guitars, all carbon fiber.

Tony[/QUOTE

I get a lot of joy and happiness from the tedious tasks associated with wood guitars. I live in a neutral humid climate, so I don’t worry about the moisture too much. But just changed some saddles, and polished some ebony bridge pieces to great personal satisfaction. I love the smell of the sound woods too.
last week I thought I was pretty satisfied, this week I think I have GAS... and a couple guitars for sale... ever changing in my living room.
Next week, who knows...
There are folks who like yard work such as mowing their lawns every weekend. I didn't, and we sold our house and bought a condo. I don't like having to keep my guitars in their cases and humidified, having to take them out every time I want to play. I do like having my guitars out all year around and not having to humidify them.

Wood guitars are great. They are works of art in many cases. Carbon fiber guitars are very practical, though Emerald seems to have made theirs as works of art. Everybody has different needs and interests.

There are people who love to tinker with their guitars, doing setups, experimenting with all manner of strings, drilling sound ports, etc. I just want to pick them up and play them with minimal hassle. Carbon fiber guitars are a good fit for me, but likely not for somebody else.

I really like Taylor guitars, and my McPhersons feel and play just like that. So for me, it is an easy transition.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-27-2020, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Definately gear satified (today)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
....After years of buying, trading, trying out and returning both acoustic and electrics I think I am good with what I currently have...
I love my capo - it is just the cheap Paige original.
I love my tuner - it is a cheap D'Addario mini headstock clip-on
I love by strap blocks - one is a cheap Fender silicon washer and the other is a brass acoustic strap secure for an endpin jack.
I love my strap - it is a handmade leather one.
I love my strings - I'm using D'Addario NB in 12-56 light/medium
I love my picks - My fav's are celluloid Fender 346 Extra Heavy
I love my pick-up - I've installed a K&K mini.
Oh, and I love my guitar - it is a Seagull S6 Spruce Coastline.

Of course - any or all of the above could change at any time!!!
Old 03-27-2020, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I love my capo - it is just the cheap Paige original.
I love my tuner - it is a cheap D'Addario mini headstock clip-on
I love by strap blocks - one is a cheap Fender silicon washer and the other is a brass acoustic strap secure for an endpin jack.
I love my strap - it is a handmade leather one.
I love my strings - I'm using D'Addario NB in 12-56 light/medium
I love my picks - My fav's are celluloid Fender 346 Extra Heavy
I love my pick-up - I've installed a K&K mini.
Oh, and I love my guitar - it is a Seagull S6 Spruce Coastline.

Of course - any or all of the above could change at any time!!!
If you hang out around here for any length of time, all of the above will change at some point, including the number of guitars owned at any one time.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-27-2020, 02:49 PM

Mostly satisfied. Poor for decades but now can afford a few nice things. Looking for just one more - Gibson J45 of some type.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Am really satisfied with my guitars, and could easily let half of them go. Even getting down to my 1950 Martin, RainSong, and Strandberg electric would be just fine. I suspect most of the others will wind up with my youngest son anyway. He’s graduating from UCSD this spring, a music major, and doing a lot or recording and production. So he’d have a great selection of instruments to play. IMO the key is getting the maximum enjoyment from what you have, and finding the ones that fit and inspire you the most. Also agree that carbon fiber guitars are nice for reducing worries about humidity and maintenance.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 03-27-2020, 03:29 PM

I too am losing gear right and left. Have sold 3 amps- a Vox and Fender and Marshall. Sold a 90s SG, sold a 2005 Gretsch, sold a Strat, sold a Taylor solid body, sold a Tele but bought another, sold a Heritage 535 and H150, sold a G&l,sold a PRS and sold a Breedlove and a Larrivee. Prob leaving out something like the 50 pedals I sold.

And yet I still have more equipment than I can play even with just a couple of
elecs and a couple of acoustics left. What was I thinking all these years.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
...And yet I still have more equipment than I can play even with just a couple of
elecs and a couple of acoustics left. What was I thinking all these years.
He who finishes with the most guitar stuff wins???
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-27-2020, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

I'm extremely happy with all my gear right now. I've said before though, usually followed almost immediately by a complete sell off and purchasing of all new guitars. But so far it seems to be taking. I'm very interested to see how long this run lasts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion