The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2017, 10:13 PM
tdq tdq is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,326
Default Archtop bridge terminology

If someone can answer this for me, then the thread can disappear into the depths of ... wherever threads go to die.

What is the correct terminology of the parts of an archtop bridge? i.e. what do you call the bottom bit? The top bit? The whole bit? The wheels and posts? (probably wheels and posts...)
National Resophonic NRP 12 Fret
Loar LH-700-VS Archtop
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Maton 425 12-string
Stella Tenor
ESP 400 series telecaster
My Youtube
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:08 AM
MC5C MC5C is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tatamagouche Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,014

I call the base "the base" and the saddle either "the saddle" or "the topper" and the adjusters are just the adjusters.
Brian Evans
1935 Dobro model 25 resonator
1943 Paramount (made by Kay) mandolin
1946 Epiphone Zephyr electric archtop
1957 Hofner Senator archtop
1962 Gibson Melody Maker electric
1963 National Dynamic lap steel
1996 Landola jumbo
1998 Godin Artisan TC electric
1998 Epiphone SG electric
2010 GoldTone PBR-CA resonator
2015 Evans electric archtop
2016 Evans archtop
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:55 PM
Jabberwocky Jabberwocky is offline
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 853

The saddle goes on the base. The two of them are known collectively as the bridge. The metal bits are thumbwheels and bridge posts.

On a T-O-M saddle, the sliding bits are saddle pieces. Many people refer to them as "saddles" and the T-O-M as the "bridge". This is because on a solid body or semi-hollow with fixed posts/rods but without a floating base, the TOM saddle is also the bridge. There are Nashville Stud TOMs and ABR-1 TOMs. Most archtop guitars use the ABR-1 TOMs.


It depends on whom you are talking to. To archtop people, the floating bridge with a saddle and a base is simply, "the bridge". There are those who "pin" a floating bridge to the top with pins so that it doesn't move. This is known as a pinned bridge. It can be made to float by removing the pins. The holes in the top remain but are mostly hidden by the base.

Dan Koentopp carves one-piece floating bridges for his archtop guitars. So, the saddle and base are one as on a violin, viola, cello or double bass.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 04-06-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Thread Tools

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=