The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2019, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Here is another reason why those in the know need to buy fewer factory guitars and more guitars made by the more talented luthiers - that will ensure that all things considered equal, more tonewood superior guitars will be made and hopefully circulate beyond the original owner who commissioner them and the fact that they are inherently so good will inspire their owners to take better care of them.
True.

I also think music stores should really teach the basics on how to care for a guitar. I really didn't know until I put some cracks in a nice ebony fingerboard, ie the hard way. Some guys in my area will tune a guitar to standard before high humidity hits, the strings will go sharp and perhaps put too much tension on the top. Some builders mention only using light tension strings on the label in the sound hole.

My kids are 4 and 7, which is quite a destructive age. I have high hopes of passing my gear down to them when they're older. My "the talk" will probably consist of humidity and to NEVER scoop the mids on electric guitar or bass.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:45 AM

Good on you for looking to brainwash your next generation with love of guitar music!

On disseminating knowledge of how care for guitars, the internet is a great source of such knowledge and if the desire to learn is there, he or she will be able to acquire it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
True.

I also think music stores should really teach the basics on how to care for a guitar. I really didn't know until I put some cracks in a nice ebony fingerboard, ie the hard way. Some guys in my area will tune a guitar to standard before high humidity hits, the strings will go sharp and perhaps put too much tension on the top. Some builders mention only using light tension strings on the label in the sound hole.

My kids are 4 and 7, which is quite a destructive age. I have high hopes of passing my gear down to them when they're older. My "the talk" will probably consist of humidity and to NEVER scoop the mids on electric guitar or bass.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Good on you for looking to brainwash your next generation with love of guitar music!

On disseminating knowledge of how care for guitars, the internet is a great source of such knowledge and if the desire to learn is there, he or she will be able to acquire it.
LOL, hopefully my children don't take things too far and refuse to play anything without Brazilian rosewood.

Even with all that's on the net, lots of guitarists haven't asked those questions. I recently found out that my brother gets his guitars set up twice a year. I was slightly annoyed with him but more annoyed with his setup guy for not encouraging better humidity control.

So many guys in my area simply don't care for their guitars. There are times I can tell from 5+ feet away that their fretboards are way too dry.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion