The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuhunter View Post
Although I don’t share your opinion I appreciate the respectful way you’re approaching this whole thing.

I’m intrigued to know and want to steer away from brand bashing: are there particular qualities of the Martins you’ve played that you don’t care for?

Any particular guitars you’ve closely bonded to that match your preferences?
I used to want a Martin.
At the time I was really hunting guitars, I played everything I could lay hands on.
I found three Martins that suited my playing style.
But they were, and have stayed out of comfortable range of my wallet and it’s super powers.
They also, for the most part, require a more “aggressive” playing style than I use.
Having been a fan of Clint Eastwood for a very long time, and the move Magnum Force for much of that time: “A man has got to know his limitations”.
Martin guitars tend to be outside of mine.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 09-29-2019, 05:25 AM

Beer discussion..

okay little story. When I was working in China, I noticed there were some other white dudes who liked to date Chinese girls. You might find that hard to believe... Nothing wrong with that. After thirty years of marriage to a Sicilian woman it occurred to me I only ever dated Italian women, the way some guys like blonds or whatever. With a few billion women on the planet, you can be with whom you like, and the opposite and whatever else

Then there were the dudes who were really Really REALLY into Chinese girls in a way that was kinda scary. Lucky for the rest of us, the opposite Scary Obsession was reciprocated in approximately equal numbers, so it mostly worked out.

Now, Martin makes a good guitar, and some Martins I rather like, but I also like some Taylor’s, Washburns, Takas... my “Win the lottery” guitar is a Collings, and that’s Exactly as valid an opinion as “I only ever dated Italian women”

And then there are the guys with a Frightening obsession with Chinese women...
Old 09-29-2019, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkrugjr View Post
Beer discussion..

okay little story. When I was working in China, I noticed there were some other white dudes who liked to date Chinese girls. You might find that hard to believe... Nothing wrong with that. After thirty years of marriage to a Sicilian woman it occurred to me I only ever dated Italian women, the way some guys like blonds or whatever. With a few billion women on the planet, you can be with whom you like, and the opposite and whatever else

Then there were the dudes who were really Really REALLY into Chinese girls in a way that was kinda scary. Lucky for the rest of us, the opposite Scary Obsession was reciprocated in approximately equal numbers, so it mostly worked out.

Now, Martin makes a good guitar, and some Martins I rather like, but I also like some Taylor’s, Washburns, Takas... my “Win the lottery” guitar is a Collings, and that’s Exactly as valid an opinion as “I only ever dated Italian women”

And then there are the guys with a Frightening obsession with Chinese women...
All that aside, there was a sweet 12-fret OO-18 I’d have grabbed if I’d the budget room....
Old 09-29-2019, 05:39 AM

I have never heard of a person never wanting a Martin guitar. Never heard this before. Never
Old 09-29-2019, 05:43 AM

Oh yeah? Well, I never wanted a Gibson. So there!
Old 09-29-2019, 06:01 AM

I never wanted an "Urban".

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-29-2019, 06:03 AM

I was a die-hard Taylor person for many years and never wanted a Martin! Then I got my Bourgeois and found out that I wasn’t a Taylor person at all. I just thought I was. That guitar opened my eyes to what an acoustic guitar should sound like(the Taylor sound wasn’t as magical as I thought it was) and it made me realize that the Martin tone was what I really preferred. I now own a Reimagined D-41 that is an incredible guitar and blows away any Taylor I ever owned OR played and that’s a LOT of Taylor guitars. I’m not saying Taylors aren’t great guitars because they are and I’ll always own at least one, but I prefer the Martin tone now or a guitar inspired by it. If I remember correctly, I may have written a thread just like this one myself in the past.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 09-29-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
they sell eleventy gazillion guitars a year,
Within a price range of about $400 up to $100,000.

Any particular models in that narrow band that upset your sensibilities?

Just curious , Cheers

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 09-29-2019, 06:05 AM

I had a Martin. I sold it, and I regret it. It was a D-40, which you don't see too often. The thing was a lap cannon.

I've also never wanted a Gibson, at least until recently. For whatever reason, I'm jonesin' for a J-200...
Old 09-29-2019, 06:08 AM

I have never wanted to eat broccoli.

There, I said it. Confession is good for the soul.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
True story- I never wanted a Martin...and ended up with two. 😬
Same. I didn't want one for 40 years. Got a D18 in July of '17 and by the end of the year also had a 00015sm.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Everything in life that appeals so intensely to so many people has some value, whether you see it or not. For me, I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could appreciate modern country music. I like folk and hip hop and bluegrass and classical and classic rock and electronic and metal and funk and on and on, but just cannot understand country. But I know it's just my blind spot because so many people love it, and I'll keep working until I see what they see.

Same's with you and Martins. Keep listening with an open mind, and eventually you'll see what all the hubbub is about.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

A Martin was the acme of my desire.

I was hung up on American music from the '50s.
Lonnie Donegan played a Martin, Josh White, and Bill Broonzy played Martins, and every bluegrasser played a Martin.

Martins were difficult to find, most west end shops had one or two, often in glass cabinets.

I wanted an American guitar! Some time in the late '60s I got a Harmony (h1265) then a Gibson j50.
In '73 I got a new job, doubling my income, so I upgraded to a Guild D40
in '74 I doubled it again, and (IIRC) I got my first Martin dread (and some other stuff).
I started trading in Martins, mostly bad ones (!)
In '75 I got another promotion, and bought my first place, and had to sell everything to pay the first few months bills.
But, later I got a used D35 which I kept for over twenty years.

After flirting with a silly and totally unsuitable J40, I went to Bourgeois and ultimately Collings.

I have a whole load of books on/by/about Martins and respect them greatly, but at the time when I'd finally learnt what suited me best, Martin didn't have it, and Collings did.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:51 AM

Keep telling yourself that.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Never say never.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion