The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-23-2018, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

I posted this on another thread, but thought it might be useful to share here. I installed the new Authentic Lifespan 2.0 Treated string set on my DC-18. Installed, stretched, tuned and recorded that fast. So these are brand new. I LOVE them instantly. And I was predisposed to dislike them based on a lot of other reports. Time will tell if that changes.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-05-2019, 01:00 AM

I have a set of 550Ts arriving today for my D-28.

Many of the comments above remind me of the effect of using Elixir Polywebs as opposed to Nanowebs.

On my D-28, the Polywebs always sounded better in the second week - I think you might call it 'bedding in', I don't know.

Nanos always sound good straight out of the packet (to my damaged ears [lifetime flying]).

Will be interesting to see how they feel and sound when they go on.

Sticking with Elixir Nanowebs 12s on my 000-28 for the time being as they have given consistently good performance and sound over the 11 years I've had this guitar.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:47 AM

I haven't tried the 80/20s but I have a set of PB iights on one of my guitars now. IMO the tone is slightly better than all coated PB varieties and I also really like the feel. The Martin lights are always nice due to the .054 and the .024 strings in that they seem to add some punch to the tone right about where you need it. As far as feel I like that they are somewhere between D'addario EXP and Elixir; not too grabby but not to slick.

I really like them!
Old 07-05-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

I just put a set of Martin Authentic MA545's (PB Light/Mediums) on my CS D-28GE and I really like them so far. The slightly lower tension is noticeable in hand; however, there's no audible difference in tone--at least not to my failing ears. I had John Pearse PB mediums on it (700M)--which I also liked--but it seems the Martin Authentics maybe are a bit more articulate. Time will tell on longevity or if the tone changes any over the next few days as they play in; but for now, they sound great to me on this guitar.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 07-05-2019, 09:10 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Just put another fresh set of the treated PBs on my D-41 yesterday and love them. They’ve been my go-to strings on that guitar for about a year now...and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. I was one of those who beta tested these strings for Martin before they came out. Loved them from first strum.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 07-05-2019, 09:15 AM

I'm thinking of trying these on my J45 which I usually use Gibson 80/20s on - I'm looking for a bit more sparkle that maybe will last a bit longer on the low strings. Would these be a good prospect?
Old 07-05-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

I use the Martin SP 80/20 light strings on my Olson SJ. I have recently tried the Authentic 80/20 strings, uncoated (MA140), and I thought they sounded good. I need a little extra treble response on my Olson to keep the tone from being too dark, and these 80/20 strings provide that without sounding too harsh. The Olson is the only guitar I have where I use 80/20 strings. I use PB light on all my other guitars.

I have never gotten used to the stiffer strings on the Martin SP PB light set as compared to D'Addario EJ16, which are my default strings. I did buy a few sets of Martin SP PB light strings once and ended up giving them to my son because of the added stiffness. He's almost 30 years younger and is not fighting osteoarthritis, so he didn't even notice that added stiffness.

- Glenn
Old 07-06-2019, 02:45 PM

See Post #32

I put them on my D-28 and must admit that from the moment they tuned, they were really good.

So far I'm well impressed. Softer than the Newtones that came off (an old DADGAD set I'd had for about 8 years and never used).

These are mellow, lovely to fingerpick and good and loud when used with a flatpick.

So, Day 1 it looks like I might consider moving from Elixirs, we'll see.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:15 AM

Ive tried the Both the 80/20 11 gauge and PB 12 gauge. Ive had them on my guitars for about 6 weeks now.

I really like them as a nice affordable string, will continue to use them for the forseeable future.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 07-07-2019, 08:52 AM

I tried the treated 80/20 and honestly, they were not good on my guitar. Some of the stiffest strings I've ever played (simple 12 gauge) and didn't sound all that good to my ears. They are probably some of the worst strings playing and sound wise I've ever tried tbh.

However, ymmv right?
Old 07-07-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I installed a set of these on my D-41 Saturday. So far so good. Lively but not overly bright these first couple days. They’re doing a very nice job of bringing out the lush rosewood overtones. Maybe lost a little volume from the SC Mids I had on it before. Now let’s see how long they last.

Here’s what Martin says about them:

“These strings are engineered with the performer in mind and they will always stand up to rigorous practice and performance schedules. We start with our highest tensile-strength core wire, then tin-plate it on all six strings for added corrosion resistance; because what you don’t see matters! When coupled with our highest quality wrap wire you get consistent true tone that you can count on song after song. Available in 80/20 Bronze and 92/8 Phosphor Bronze.

Martin Authentic Acoustic SP® strings offer excellent tuning stability, corrosion resistance and great playability.”

•••
I'm puzzled. How does tin-plating the string core contribute to "added corrosion resistance" inside wrapped strings? It's the wraps which collect dirt, grime and bits of skin which eventually kill the string, not the core.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I installed a set of these on my D-41 Saturday. So far so good. Lively but not overly bright these first couple days. They’re doing a very nice job of bringing out the lush rosewood overtones. Maybe lost a little volume from the SC Mids I had on it before. Now let’s see how long they last.

Here’s what Martin says about them:

“These strings are engineered with the performer in mind and they will always stand up to rigorous practice and performance schedules. We start with our highest tensile-strength core wire, then tin-plate it on all six strings for added corrosion resistance; because what you don’t see matters! When coupled with our highest quality wrap wire you get consistent true tone that you can count on song after song. Available in 80/20 Bronze and 92/8 Phosphor Bronze.

Martin Authentic Acoustic SP® strings offer excellent tuning stability, corrosion resistance and great playability.”

•••
Am I correct in assuming that "treated" just means coated ?
Old 07-07-2019, 11:04 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Am I correct in assuming that "treated" just means coated ?
I dunno what process they are using on these new strings...but, yes, this is their “coated” version.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 10-04-2019, 08:00 AM

Sorry to bring up an old thread , but didnt see any point in starting my own thread. Ive been a big fan of the Martin SP going way back. I bought a 2013 D18 and it came with the Lifespans on it. I really liked them , so I kept them on. When they redid the Martin strings and started calling them Authentic , I was sceptical . I really do like these better . They seem to last on my D18 and still sound and feel good.

Afew months ago I bought a used 72 D35 with lights on it. I think they came with D addarios. They sounded kind of dead so I slapped some untreated Authentic SP PB strings. They sounded great , but they went dead recently. I think that was decent mileage out of untreated strings.I slapped another set on . I will try some treated ones on my D35 after it comes back for a few repairs.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budglo View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread , but didnt see any point in starting my own thread. Ive been a big fan of the Martin SP going way back. I bought a 2013 D18 and it came with the Lifespans on it. I really liked them , so I kept them on. When they redid the Martin strings and started calling them Authentic , I was sceptical . I really do like these better . They seem to last on my D18 and still sound and feel good.

Afew months ago I bought a used 72 D35 with lights on it. I think they came with D addarios. They sounded kind of dead so I slapped some untreated Authentic SP PB strings. They sounded great , but they went dead recently. I think that was decent mileage out of untreated strings.I slapped another set on . I will try some treated ones on my D35 after it comes back for a few repairs.
Great post. Thanks! I have come to LOVE the new Martin "Authentic" Lifespan Phosphor Bronze. I like them more than the Non-treated Authentic strings.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion