The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-05-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
That’s actually really cool. I’ve never thought about using multiple phones.
It's pretty common on movie shoots these days when filming action stuff, that anyone onset with two empty hands shoots every take with their phone (from a safe spot) and turns in all the footage.

Couch Standards
Old 07-06-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
It's pretty common on movie shoots these days when filming action stuff, that anyone onset with two empty hands shoots every take with their phone (from a safe spot) and turns in all the footage.

Maybe I’ll start making all my friends come over and record me when I’m playing and recording. :-)
Old 07-06-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Maybe I’ll start making all my friends come over and record me when I’m playing and recording. :-)
You jest. But that's what the kids are doing these days, as they say. It's a good idea, but be prepared to reciprocate.

That video I posted earlier (with the sync issue) was shot after the end of an internet radio show. But during the show sometimes the live room is packed with the artist's posse shooting with phones and Go-Pros, plus usually someone shooting from inside the control room. It's nuts, but the whole reason people are on the show in the first place is to rustle up new content for their social media.

Couch Standards

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 07-06-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi jb

I also use my cameras (my DSLR and my Mirrorless camera) in conjunction with my phones. Editing programs don't care what you shot with...as long as the footage is in the proper format. Perhaps some of your friends are as camera-centric as your are guitar-centric. They could be of great help!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 07-06-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
This is exactly the kind of thing I’m looking for. I tried earlier with my Line 6 and with that mic plugged in it just completely kills the sound. I’m not sure if I’m just not using it right or if that’s not something it could do.

Any idea if this thing would work? The iRig PRE, instead of the PRO.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...iABEgIQt_D_BwE
Get the Pro. You can still charge the phone while using it. Cant do that with the Pre. Other than that small complaint, I think it's a great tool for Iphone audio/video.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:26 PM

Default Recording video on an iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
Get the Pro. You can still charge the phone while using it. Cant do that with the Pre. Other than that small complaint, I think it's a great tool for Iphone audio/video.

I ordered the Pre. I know the Pro sounds better, but the Pre was able to be purchased brand new for $25. I am not some good video maker. I made one before for Facebook (then uploaded to YouTube for someone who wanted to see but wasn’t on FB). Maybe if I keep doing videos, I’ll go with the more expensive one. I heard a side by side comparison on YouTube and it does sound better.

Edit: this is the video. Any mic will be better than this.

https://youtu.be/rC6DgM89cko
Old 07-06-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
The mic for the SHURE has an adjustable angle. I believe it is only 90 degrees, instead of 180 degrees like it should be. But that’s not really an issue for me.

I’ll probably order the iRig PRE as well. I see them on eBay for like $20.

My purpose, however, is for making really simple recordings with me or my wife and me. Upload to Facebook or YouTube. Nothing professional quality is needed. But I don’t want crappy sound.
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I'm not talking about the angle but the distance. If the camera is far enough away to capture the whole guitar and up to the top of my head, the mic is too far from the guitar and gets too much room sound, not enough direct guitar sound.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-06-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I'm not talking about the angle but the distance. If the camera is far enough away to capture the whole guitar and up to the top of my head, the mic is too far from the guitar and gets too much room sound, not enough direct guitar sound.

Fran

Ah. That makes sense. Hopefully between the iRig and the MV88 I can get some decent recordings.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I ordered the Pre. I know the Pro sounds better, but the Pre was able to be purchased brand new for $25. I am not some good video maker. I made one before for Facebook (then uploaded to YouTube for someone who wanted to see but wasn’t on FB). Maybe if I keep doing videos, I’ll go with the more expensive one. I heard a side by side comparison on YouTube and it does sound better.

Edit: this is the video. Any mic will be better than this.

https://youtu.be/rC6DgM89cko
That was good. No need to buy the Pro if you have the Pre. I think that the charge thing is the only difference. I have the Pre too, but find myself not using it much lately. For the money the Pro is going for, you could get a nice 2 channel interface.

I did this awhile back using the Pre and the screen side camera on my iphone 6 plus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzq2j4YPNCM

the mic is an AKG P120, cost less than 100 dollars.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I did this awhile back using the Pre and the screen side camera on my iphone 6 plus.

The singer on the TV could be a bit louder in the mix :-).

Couch Standards
Old 07-09-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
That was good. No need to buy the Pro if you have the Pre. I think that the charge thing is the only difference. I have the Pre too, but find myself not using it much lately. For the money the Pro is going for, you could get a nice 2 channel interface.

the mic is an AKG P120, cost less than 100 dollars.
Good video. That sound quality is the type I am shooting for. It’s much better than the camera mic, for sure.

I just got my MV88 this morning and I messed with the thing just a little using my speaking voice and the difference is astounding, for sure.

If I understand the difference between the Pro and the Pre, the Pro uses its own preamp. The Pre uses the iPhone’s, which is not preferable.

This guy did a video showing the difference in sound. The difference is noticeable for sure. But not important enough for me and for my bootleg recording needs.

https://youtu.be/CPVzjQtjOk0
Old 07-09-2018, 02:16 PM

Another vote for the Shure MV88. I've gotten great results with it.
Taylor 562ce 12-string
Old 07-10-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
The singer on the TV could be a bit louder in the mix :-).
He was an annoying git. No sense of time.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Good video. That sound quality is the type I am shooting for. It’s much better than the camera mic, for sure.

I just got my MV88 this morning and I messed with the thing just a little using my speaking voice and the difference is astounding, for sure.

If I understand the difference between the Pro and the Pre, the Pro uses its own preamp. The Pre uses the iPhone’s, which is not preferable.

This guy did a video showing the difference in sound. The difference is noticeable for sure. But not important enough for me and for my bootleg recording needs.

https://youtu.be/CPVzjQtjOk0
I think i owe an apology. I watched that video and immediately noticed that mine does not look like either of them. I have the i-Rig Pre-HD. The Pre-HD has the built in pre-amp, but no way to charge the phone while your using it, like the Pro does.

I like the MV88. I think I'll get one for on the go.

If you dont have one, get this too. One of two types of mounts I use for my iPhone. This one opens enough to work with the Otterbox. Tripod is a personal choice, I just happen to have that at the office. Get multiples and you wont need your friends to hold phones. They can hold lighters like real fans. LOL

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 07-11-2018, 12:47 PM

^^^
I need to get one of those stands.

I just messed with the SHURE MV88 last night for a few minutes. Man, what a nice sound. For $100 used, that’s a good little gizmo.

I got the iRig PRE yesterday, but haven’t tried it yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD