The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-11-2017, 12:32 PM

Default Anyone seriously think about selling your acoustic in favor of a ukulele?

Actually, that was a recurring thought for a while...

The meals are good, the staff's been wonderful, I enjoy those calming sunset walks on the beach, the doctor says I'm making excellent progress, and I'll be coming home next Thursday...
Old 09-11-2017, 03:14 PM

Why sell the guitar? Just add a uke - they take up a lot less room than the guitars so you have have a whole herd of them. I love them both and go back and forth with them on a regular basis.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:44 PM

Actual I find the open D hard to hit on guitar after playing the baritone Ukulele, I'm sure with practice of jumping back and forth I'll adjust
Old 09-12-2017, 04:02 AM

So far my ukulele is on order so I am using my guitar with capo on 5th fret and playing only top four strings like a baritone uke. From what I see so far as far as fingerpicking goes, one can develop some real skill just picking on four strings. Bases would be easy to add when one went back to guitar. I may be wrong, but so far that is what I think.

Almanza 401 Mate
Classical

Ventura 12 string V17, now
a 6 string Lap Guitar.

Kala Baritone Ukulele

Melokia, Solid Acacia Tenor Ukulele

Yamaha Guitalele GL1

Yamaha CS40 Classical
Old 09-12-2017, 04:20 AM

Had a baritone ukulele for about a year but never could stay interested in playing it, guitar is just too much fun for me.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 09-12-2017, 05:15 AM

That's sort of like saying, "I like English so much, I think I'll give up [insert language]" The more languages, the better. Baritone and low-G tenor/concert/even soprano are great, but when you start learning the expressions, voices, as well as limitations that make you work around, in a reentrant tuned uke, that high G makes a world of difference in keeping you ...engaged.

Last edited by Neal; 09-12-2017 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Those darn smileys
Old 09-12-2017, 06:04 AM

If you sign up for Guitar Center stuff and get their 15% off coupons and time it right, you can do pretty good. I got a nice Cordoba uke for $29 by working it right. Then you get to have your guitar (cake) and eat it too (uke)
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Abilene Hot Rod Bass (found parts in trash can an resurrected)
Peavey TKO Bass Amp
Cordoba Concert Ukulele
A few more things that I'll add soon
Old 09-21-2017, 01:56 PM

If I had a uke, I would trade it for a guitar, banjo, or mandolin ASAP.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Henry View Post
If I had a uke, I would trade for a guitar, banjo, or mandolin ASAP.
Or pick up tiny Tim's Ukulele for dummies book lol
Old 09-21-2017, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Nononono! and no!
Old 09-21-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Henry View Post
If I had a uke, I would trade it for a guitar, banjo, or mandolin ASAP.
Why would you HAVE a uke? That just may be akin to me, a total mechanical know-nothing, having a full set of specific SnapOn tools. Heck, I’d trade those fer a uke... ..but I know enough to appreciate the one over the other.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:39 PM

"Tiptoe Through the Tulips" is the only song absolutely banned from our ukulele club, for as long as I am in charge. Tiny Tim was solely responsible for killing the ukulele as an instrument for 40 years or so.

The first big ukulele craze was after the Hawaiian exhibit in San Francisco at the 1916 Pan Pacific World's Fair. That lasted throughout the 1920's. The Great Depression and WWII kept the world busy after that. Arthur Godfrey brought ukulele back in the 1950's as part of his very popular TV show. Tiny Tim destroyed uke as anything but a kitchsy novelty for the 60's, 70's and 80's. The 1990's saw a resurgence in ukulele popularity which is still going strong today.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
"Tiptoe Through the Tulips" is the only song absolutely banned from our ukulele club, for as long as I am in charge. Tiny Tim was solely responsible for killing the ukulele as an instrument for 40 years or so.

The first big ukulele craze was after the Hawaiian exhibit in San Francisco at the 1916 Pan Pacific World's Fair. That lasted throughout the 1920's. The Great Depression and WWII kept the world busy after that. Arthur Godfrey brought ukulele back in the 1950's as part of his TV show. Tiny Tim destroyed uke as anything but a kitchsy novelty for the 60's, 70's and 80's. The 1990's saw a resurgence in ukulele popularity which is still going strong today.
Yep, I agree
Old 09-21-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post

The first big ukulele craze was after the Hawaiian exhibit in San Francisco at the 1916 Pan Pacific World's Fair. That lasted throughout the 1920's. The Great Depression and WWII kept the world busy after that. Arthur Godfrey brought ukulele back in the 1950's as part of his very popular TV show. Tiny Tim destroyed uke as anything but a kitchsy novelty for the 60's, 70's and 80's. The 1990's saw a resurgence in ukulele popularity which is still going strong today.
He was an entertainer, that’s all. Popularity was responsible for putting an end to the uke craze. It was portable, cheap, easy to learn 3chords, and thrown in the faces of everyone at all sorts of events by eager but bad players and singers.

The guitar didn’t suffer that sort of exposure, it had always been a mainstream instrument, and not as portable. Tiny Tim played no part in its downfall, it already wasn’t popular when he started.

Come to think of it, that first paragraph sorta sums up the early 21st century too...

Tiny Tim blaming is sooo early 2000’s.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
...Popularity was responsible for putting an end to the uke craze. It was portable, cheap, easy to learn 3 chords, and thrown in the faces of everyone at all sorts of events by eager but bad players and singers...
I've been hitting a lot of local open mics since my retirement - seeing a whole bunch of uke players these days...

Interestingly enough, most of them are better than the guitar-slinging wannabe singer/songwriter types - and a lot friendlier and less self-absorbed to boot...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments