The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-03-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
As I wrote in my opening posting and reiterated in subsequent posts, the purpose of this thread is to just demonstrate the sound of these affordable pair of mics for folks looking to get into home stereo recording at minimal cost.
I know but I'd recommend they save up for something better. I say that as a confirmed budget guy who doesn't have a lot of money to spend on gear. I learned the hard way that sometimes going for the easy option leads to disappointment and in the long run can actually be more expensive.

A new day and refreshed ears and I still hear the same thing. I'm not sure it's something that can be EQ'd out because I still hear a harsh quality even after EQ.

My gear might be adding to it a little at high gain but it's still there at lower volumes. My system is good enough to pick up on the difference between these two very similar clips in an AB test (it's not easy).

M-Audio DMP3
FiveFish SC1

Anyway, thanks for posting the clip. People can listen and decide for themselves.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

I did not hear harshness in Bob's clips. I just got a pair of these out of curiosity. I'll try to post an audio clip before long and give my impressions hands on.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-03-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I know but I'd recommend they save up for something better. I say that as a confirmed budget guy who doesn't have a lot of money to spend on gear. I learned the hard way that sometimes going for the easy option leads to disappointment and in the long run can actually be more expensive.

A new day and refreshed ears and I still hear the same thing. I'm not sure it's something that can be EQ'd out because I still hear a harsh quality even after EQ.

My gear might be adding to it a little at high gain but it's still there at lower volumes. My system is good enough to pick up on the difference between these two very similar clips in an AB test (it's not easy).

M-Audio DMP3
FiveFish SC1

Anyway, thanks for posting the clip. People can listen and decide for themselves.
Not that my computer monitors are all that good, but to my ears the M-Audio track has slightly more brittle highs and a warmer bass. The FiveFish clip sounds flatter. They are different, but I would be hard pressed to say one sounds "better" than the other...both would be acceptable to me as a home recording hobbyist. Which I think is the point for me. I'm not looking to split hairs, just to enjoy making music. If I want a high end sound, I'll go to a professional studio and get it. In the meantime, home recording has helped me improve my overall performance skill and helped me conquer "red light" fever, so if I ever do decide to record a CD I won't panic or freeze up while paying per hour charges! My entire recording chain costs under $500 and has given me endless hours of enjoyment with no disappointments, yet (well, except for my poor playing and singing). But, I have never had the expectation that I could make recordings at home that rival those of professional studios...my objective is to make simple recordings and not to train for a career in the recording industry. So, how much one spends on their hobby really depends on their objectives and I will never diss anyone for buying the cheapest or most expensive tools as long as they are enjoying them. Play on, my friend!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 03-03-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_kabong View Post
Hey Bob - sounds great....any chance we can get a sample using the high pass filter?

Thanks for posting, btw.
Hey, El Kabong! Here is a comparison of the High Pass Filter switch. I used the spaced pair setup and kept all settings equal so the only difference was the switch and my playing, of course. And, yes, I misspoke on the track...I called it a by-pass rather than high pass filter...a senior moment.

ReverbNation (originals)

Last edited by Bob1131; 03-10-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:42 PM

I listened to the clip, and I thought it sounded really good. Goes to show you don't need mics that break the bank to get good sounds.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Hey, El Kabong! Here is a comparison of the High Pass Filter switch. I used the spaced pair setup and kept all settings equal so the only difference was the switch and my playing, of course. And, yes, I misspoke on the track...I called it a by-pass rather than high pass filter...a senior moment.

BTW - Just to complete my testing and review of these mics, I tried one of them for vocals...not great, but not bad either. In this mult-track sample, all the acoustic guitars and vocals were recorded with these mics. Down to the Bottom
Hey back Bob...and thanks for doing that. I play some fairly "fat bottomed" dreads and seem to struggle with placement and proximity issues, so tend to believe I might benefit from the high-pass...should check to see where their roll-off is.

BTW, I have to agree with the other comments that Doug's suggested placement seemed like an improvement...definitely warmer and detailed to my ear. Again, I worry a bit about too much proximity effect with that kind of placement, but perhaps the filter would do the trick...and one of the reasons I've been looking hard at the SM81, which has worked for me in the past.

Cheers, and thanks again, really appreciate it.

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha
Old 03-04-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Hey back Bob...and thanks for doing that. I play some fairly "fat bottomed" dreads and seem to struggle with placement and proximity issues, so tend to believe I might benefit from the high-pass...should check to see where their roll-off is.

BTW, I have to agree with the other comments that Doug's suggested placement seemed like an improvement...definitely warmer and detailed to my ear. Again, I worry a bit about too much proximity effect with that kind of placement, but perhaps the filter would do the trick...and one of the reasons I've been looking hard at the SM81, which has worked for me in the past.

Cheers, and thanks again, really appreciate it.

According to the specs, the high pass is -6dB @ 200Hz

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
According to the specs, the high pass is -6dB @ 200Hz
Thanks for looking that up. For those who might want to compare with the SM81 > -6 dB below 100 Hz, -18 dB below 80 Hz

Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks for looking that up. For those who might want to compare with the SM81 > -6 dB below 100 Hz, -18 dB below 80 Hz
Interesting. I'm not used to recording drums but doesn't it seem like the Alesis mics' HPF is geared more for drum recording? Even vocals have fundamentals in their HPF range.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Whigham View Post
Interesting. I'm not used to recording drums but doesn't it seem like the Alesis mics' HPF is geared more for drum recording? Even vocals have fundamentals in their HPF range.
I'm no expert, but I know lots of folks will just use the overheads for cymbals, which can extend down to 200 Hz. Actually, I had to look that up...but, found this helpful guide: http://www.offbeat.co.uk/wp-content/...6/eq-chart.pdf As noted there, about half of an acoustic guitar's range is below 200 Hz....so, I believe the shape of the filtering would be most critical consideration, i.e. how much does it change the LF response...

Old 03-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Here is a short recording and mini review of the Alesis AM2 microphones:

Raw wave file: http://dcoombsguitar.com/Guitar%20Music/Temp/NewMikes.wav

This is a hard guitar to record, so the mikes did well.

The mikes are sensitive - you will have no problem driving these mikes with any preamp.

The mikes have low self noise – they are quiet.

They have a good sized proximity effect and are not as forgiving to placement as some mikes.

There is less detail and air compared to my usual mikes but they cost less than one third of just the tax
on those other mikes.

If they last (don't short circuit or something) then they are an amazingly good deal.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Here is a short recording and mini review of the Alesis AM2 microphones:

Raw wave file: http://dcoombsguitar.com/Guitar%20Music/Temp/NewMikes.wav

This is a hard guitar to record, so the mikes did well.

The mikes are sensitive - you will have no problem driving these mikes with any preamp.

The mikes have low self noise – they are quiet.

They have a good sized proximity effect and are not as forgiving to placement as some mikes.

There is less detail and air compared to my usual mikes but they cost less than one third of just the tax
on those other mikes.

If they last (don't short circuit or something) then they are an amazingly good deal.
Thanks, Rick! Beautiful playing, as always. Just out of curiosity, what was the mike placement and settings (was the high-pass on or off)? The high-pass can minimize the proximity effect to some degree.

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 03-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, Rick! Beautiful playing, as always. Just out of curiosity, what was the mike placement and settings (was the high-pass on or off)? The high-pass can minimize the proximity effect to some degree.
Spaced pair, maybe 16" out and mikes about 2' apart. I did not use the high pass filter.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:17 PM

I am amazed that these are $60. They don't sound like a $2000 matched pair... but holy crap they sound pretty darn good.

I just ordered a pair.
1998 Martin DC-15E
2000 S&P 12-String (Spruce/Cherry)
2012 Godin 5th Ave Kingpin
1964 Goya G-10
Republic Mahogany Resonator Ukelele
Old 03-07-2013, 10:24 AM

Rick, awesome - thanks for sharing. They sound good (and your playing is incredible of course!). Loved that.

To me, they seem very noisy, or perhaps it was the environment? It would be interesting to compare their noise to some of your other mics in the same setting. I pulled up Darkest Dreaming's post the other day and compared just the noise factor by comparing in iZotope and these seemed a good bit noisier there as well. I tried processing them through RX2 just to compare - RX2 made a big difference in the noise factor using the "High Quality" preset but it also affected the sound in some crazy ways! I have my normal RX2 settings that I use on my guitars but they just weren't working on this one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD