The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-24-2013, 05:37 PM

Default Inexpensive SDC pair review

For those on a very limited budget looking for an inexpensive pair of SDC mics for stereo recording, there are a few good choices these days. After reviewing the literature for various mics, I decided to take a chance on the Alesis AM2 package for a whooping $60....I think these have to be the cheapest pair of SDC available. Well, okay, yes Berhinger offers a cheap pair too, but I read complaints that the high pass and dB cut functions on the C2s are on one switch and should be separate. Indeed, the Alesis AM2s have separate switches for those functions.

The AM2 package comes complete with the mics, mic clips, spacer bar, and foam wind screens securely packed in a handy case. You need to provide your own mic cables.

For the price, I expected the bodies to be plastic, but they are metal and feel solid and robust.

It took only a few minutes to plug them into my mixer and start experimenting. They seem to have minimal self noise and a very neutral tone. I set them up at about 10 inches apart at about 16 inches out from the guitar, and pointing at the bridge and neck/body joint of my Taylor GA4. Here is a recording with absolutely no EQ or processing other than a smidgon of reverb: Alesis AM2 sample

The bottom line is that if you want to try stereo recording but don't want to spend a lot until you are sure that's what you want to do, you really can't go wrong with these little cheap gems while you save up for those high-end professional mics.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 02-24-2013, 06:29 PM

That's just awesome - love, love, love the quality you were able to get for $60! Kudos
Old 02-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

A nice natural sound! You might try reversing your dimensions - say 16 inches apart and 10 (or even 8 or 6) inches from the guitar and see how that works.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Sounds good. Can't lose, ordered a pair, clip to follow.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 PM

I'm shocked they could do this for so cheap. The case alone has to cost them $5, which leaves $25 for the mics + space bar (which I'm shocked is included!). Want a Gefell stereo space bar? Cough up $250+!

Out of curiosity, I looked them up - where do you find them for sale? I was unable to find them even at ebay. I was searching for "Alesis Am2".
Old 02-24-2013, 07:59 PM

Scott, I think they are available at all the usual suspects, but I got them here.

I don't know how they do it...but the reason I took a chance on them is that I have always been impressed by the sound captured by the Zoom H2 type recorders, and I started thinking that if the capsules sounded good in those inexpensive recorders than someone had to be using the same mic capsules for inexpensive SDC mics. The size and specifications of the Alesis AM2 mics and the Berhinger C2 mics suggests that they may indeed be made with the same or similar capsules as those used in the Hn2 and Hn4 recorders. So, for $60, I thought it might be worth the gamble. Needless to say, I'm impressed with these little mics and have no regrets for buying them.

ReverbNation (originals)

Last edited by Bob1131; 02-24-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:00 PM

They are indeed the same type of capsule, the specifications list them as a back electret condenser. As such, they are not in the same catagory as true SDC's so just be aware of that. That doesn't mean they can't sound good, but it might indicate a surprise for someone who was looking to match a true SDC capsule performance.

These would probably perform on the order of some of the small "boutique" builders that are making SDCs from the usual Panasonic capsules available from the parts supply houses.

At one time I was going to try the same priced CAD CM217s:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ecca906d00251e

...but read the same thing about the internal capsules that I just stated here.

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-24-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:00 AM

Very impressive result . . . For 60 bucks, what more could you ask?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 AM

The MCA SP1 is worth a look in the budget mic category.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:45 AM

Bob,thanks for the heads up! I wasn't going to order anything like this for a while, but at that price & free shipping, how could I not! (so I did!)
Thanks!

SteveH

Taylor 414CE Ltd Redwood Sinker
Martin 00-15M
Seagull Performer CW MJ Flame Maple
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Burgundy
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Blue
Oscar Schmidt Sovereign Mahogany a 1932 Model #5077
Campbell American Transitone (electric)
Ibanez SR650 Bass, natural finish ash
Yamaha SC400 natural finish ash
Old 02-25-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Whigham View Post
That's just awesome - love, love, love the quality you were able to get for $60! Kudos
Ya, it's hard to be disappointed at this price point,...but I'm actually delighted with the result and I haven't had time to really dial them in yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
A nice natural sound! You might try reversing your dimensions - say 16 inches apart and 10 (or even 8 or 6) inches from the guitar and see how that works.
Thanks, Doug. I'll give that a try and post the result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Sounds good. Can't lose, ordered a pair, clip to follow.
Cool! I'll be interested to hear how they worked for you!

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 02-25-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
They are indeed the same type of capsule, the specifications list them as a back electret condenser. As such, they are not in the same catagory as true SDC's so just be aware of that. That doesn't mean they can't sound good, but it might indicate a surprise for someone who was looking to match a true SDC capsule performance.

These would probably perform on the order of some of the small "boutique" builders that are making SDCs from the usual Panasonic capsules available from the parts supply houses.

At one time I was going to try the same priced CAD CM217s:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ecca906d00251e

...but read the same thing about the internal capsules that I just stated here.
Thanks for the info, Rudy! For the price I wasn't expecting a high quality matched pair, but they did exceed my expectations by a long way. I think they will stay in my mic locker as long as they continue to work because I am sure that they will be useful for more than just recording my guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redavide View Post
Very impressive result . . . For 60 bucks, what more could you ask?
Ya, about the price of a fill-up for a full-size SUV, and loads more fun, IMHO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
The MCA SP1 is worth a look in the budget mic category.
Moon, I considered the SP1, but it is nearly double the cost for a pair (although in this price range the difference isn't all that great). The idea of a matched pair for $60 was too much to resist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfarm View Post
Bob,thanks for the heads up! I wasn't going to order anything like this for a while, but at that price & free shipping, how could I not! (so I did!)
Thanks!
Let us know how they work out for you. It seems I frequently read requests for mic recommendations from folks who are just starting to explore recording and don't want to (or can't afford to) spend a lot initially. I think these little mics just might give some of those folks the basic tools to work on refining mic'ing techniques before making a more substantial investment.

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 02-26-2013, 07:42 PM

Nice sound from a $60 pair. I fall into the "inexpensive" catigory myself. For those who are interested, check out the Samson c02 SDC pair. For $150 you can get them with 2 boom stands, 2 XLR cables, and a stereo bar from American Music Supply. I'll try to get some tracks together for a demo.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...m_medium=feed&

Thanks for the review.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:02 AM
Charter Member

Haha, man that sounds great. Nice natural sound. What a deal.

Anton
Old 03-02-2013, 03:50 AM

They sound really good, I can't find anywhere that ships or supplies in the UK for these.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD