The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-21-2013, 11:26 AM

I love drums. A real set just takes up so much room and has no volume knob, therefore I don't currently have one, but I love to play and am more of a "natural" at drums than any other instrument (including guitar.) I also play keyboard and while I sound VERY barbaric compared to most players, I can make music.
I can also play my "stereo" very well too. I think the greatest art in the world is music. Playing music and listening to music should be 50/50 in my opinion. If I can't be inspired by listening to other artist's music, how can I possibly create something someone else will like ?

Bryant
1991 Takamine EF350MC
Fender T-Bucket 400CE
$19 Silvertone Bobby Labonte SNBLA
Old 01-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Any talented musicians in here who play multiple instruments?

Bass, drums, mandolin a little bit
Old 01-21-2013, 01:15 PM

I started playing drums about 13 years ago. Just last year I picked up mandolin, and this year I've been playing a bit of ukulele. I also play harmonica, and play around with keyboards/synths.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harindavid View Post
Don't play the piano or guitar anymore? Ahhhh don't be modest my friend my theory is that anyone who plays an instrument regardless of how good they are is talented..
Sorry ,I was not clear. I don't play piano or keyboard anymore. I attempt to play guitar quite a bit
Old 01-21-2013, 05:59 PM

My first instrument was mountain dulcimer. Eventually I got good enough on it to win the US Mountain Dulcimer Championship at Winfield. After playing dulcimer alone for a couple of years, I took up mandolin, then five string banjo.

I didn't take up guitar until I'd gotten proficient enough on dulcimer and mandolin to start gigging on a regular basis. (Alas, while my banjo proficiency has gotten noticably better, I wouldn't claim to be on a professional level on that instrument.)

I also play harmonica (not as well as I play banjo) and bass guitar.

Since my early days as a player I've branched out to play variant instruments, such as acoustic baritone guitar, mandocello and mandola, and a whole menagerie of banjo mutants such as the pony banjo and mandolin-banjo. As you might expect, these related instruments are close enough to their origins that there's a great deal of similarity between them, but each still has some significant differences from each other.

Plus I sing, starting as a boy soprano soloist in our church's children's choir, maturing into a second tenor as an adult. I can actually hit all the notes of a first tenor, but second tenor is my power range. If you have trouble hearing that in your "mind's ear," think of where the vocal range for Johnny Rivers and Billy Joel are.

With fretted instruments, to me the similarities between them are much more important than the differences. For me it's usually a matter of acquiring a few necessary techniques to be able to play them - to me they're all much more alike than they are different.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-21-2013, 08:52 PM

A lot of you play the mandolin. How different is it from the guitar in terms of playability?

"When we are listening to the sound of a singer's voice, God is listening to the sound of a singer's heart."
Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 AM

Once you get past the "issue" of the short scale and the spacing between strings, it's relatively "easy". It's tuned differently than a guitar, so you have to relearn chords, but since us guitar players have already gone through that awkward phase of syncing our fretting and picking, it's easier than it was learning guitar the first time. I love the little thing, and I love playing on it. It's just a fun instrument. It's actually also my go-to when it comes to traveling. Unless I'm going away for longer periods of time, I usually leave the guitars at home and bring a mandolin.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 AM

Concert Kazoo, OM Jew's Harp and Parlour Didgeridoo.

Bangin'
Old 01-22-2013, 11:04 AM

Guitar - acoustic is my main instrument ... also play electric
Tenor Guitar
Mandolin
Banjo
Dobro
Bass

Piano (but not very well)

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harindavid View Post
A lot of you play the mandolin. How different is it from the guitar in terms of playability?
It's a natural second instrument if you're primarily a guitarist, in the same way that bass guitar is, as well. A lot of the same techniques apply, and once you get proficient on one fretted instrument, any additional ones come much more easily.

whm
Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 PM

I played stringbender Tele (thanks Gene!) and an Emmons D-10 on stage for many, many years. I also play Cajun accordion, bass, drums, some tenor sax, a little mandolin and piano, and now I'm working on the hardest of all -- the violin. Really makes me suffer... -L-
Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 PM

Default Any talented musicians in here who play multiple instruments?

Clarinet and ukulele
Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 PM

Trumpet, Shakuhachi, voice, whatever stringed instrument I can get my hands on.

Curtis
Old 01-22-2013, 06:40 PM

I like to say I can play 6.5 instruments: guitar, banjo, bass, drums, harmonica, recorder, and Key-of-C piano (i.e., just the white keys).
Old 01-22-2013, 06:48 PM

Guitar and learning to make noise with a fiddle and button accordion.

And a few others

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments