The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-23-2012, 11:40 PM

Default Zoom H4n (Connect to Sony Camcorder)

I am hoping to improve sound quality of my video recording of my acoustic guitar playing.

Can I connect Zoom H4n to my Sony Camcorder (model HDR-XR550E) for this effect? If so, what are the required gear e.g. cables?
Old 12-24-2012, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulfillingsoul View Post
I am hoping to improve sound quality of my video recording of my acoustic guitar playing.

Can I connect Zoom H4n to my Sony Camcorder (model HDR-XR550E) for this effect? If so, what are the required gear e.g. cables?
Hi ffs...

Why connect them with cables at all? I suggest you record the audio with the H4n at the same time as you record video, and then replace the audio track on your video with the H4n tracks in post.

That would permit you to position the H4n in the best place to get a quality audio recording and the video camera in the proper place to get great video (likely not the same spots). I often mount both to separate camera tripods, and keep the Zoom just out of camera range. It's really easy to setup/position the recorder when it's mounted on a tripod. Tripods can go shorter and taller than mic stands.

That also prevents having cables running everywhere, and loose connections, and setting internal levels etc.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulfillingsoul View Post

The basic connection would be from the headphone stereo mini out to the Sony mic input.

There are three issues to deal with here:, size, format, and level.

I was unable to determine from the Sony site if the camera mic input is 3.5 mm or the less common 2.5 mm. If it's the latter, you'll need an adapter.

I was unable to determine from the Sony site if the mic input is mono or stereo. If it's mono you'll need an adapter to convert from the Zoom stereo to mono.

The level issue can be a problem but it should be possible to dial down the Zoom output enough to work reasonably well with the Sony input.

But you may find that the quality of the audio circuitry in the camera still prevents you from getting excellent recordings. Most cameras have limited dynamic range, limited frequency response, and auto-level controls that add a lot of artifacts.

This is the reason, even more than cable management, that parallel recording generally gives better results. Of course, this assumes that you have editing tools for video. If you do, parallel recording is definitely the way to go.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 12-25-2012, 01:19 AM

Thanks for the responses. Purchased this cable and worked well.

It's not a long cable but sufficient for me.

Hassle-free video recording finally without post-production.

Sescom 3.5mm Line to Mic DSLR Cable with 25dB Attenuation and Headphone Monitoring Tap for Zoom H4N

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD