The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-18-2011, 08:51 PM

Default Good headphones for recording

Hello guys! I need some help here. I have a very basic home studio which consists of a digital 8-track and a vocal and instrument microphones. I record my guitar and voice mostly, but lately I sometimes record a band I play with. Nothing super professional, just a clean track by track recording that I am not ashamed to show to people.

For many years I user Sony MDR-V600 that my wife bought me before I even knew any difference. Finally they broke (I run over them with a chair, no comments!) and I need a replacement. Now, that I actually understand that there are different headphones, not just cheap and expensive ones, I need to make a choice.

I am looking for a set of headphones in a range of $100-$150 which will be ideal for the situation described above. I want them to be as "natural" as possible sound wise. And I want them to bleed as little as possible. I don't think I have any other requirements... What do you think? Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:47 PM

easy: Audio Technica M50's. Best headphone's I've used...make sony's sound like a bag of potato chips.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Many, many prior threads to check out.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-19-2011, 02:13 AM

The Beyerdynamic dt770 pro is the way to go from all that I've read. I want to pull the trigger on a pair myself. They get outstanding reviews, however they come in slightly higher than your range at around $170 to $180 I think. Google them.
Regards,
IG
2014 Shippey Oval Hole Mandolin
2016 Martin HD28.
Schertler Jam 150 amp.
Neumann TLM 102 mic.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:04 AM
Guitar Gourmet

The AKG 240s is the studio standard. It also best survives comparison to the $7k monitor system I work on all day.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-19-2011, 10:47 PM

Thank you all for replies. I went to the store and the choice ended up being very easy! I tried AT M50, AKG K240 and a few more models in $100 to $150 range. They all sounded very similar. Some had a little more pronounced bass and some seemed to be a bit louder, but I was looking for the "most natural" sound. On the end I still did not know which ones sounded most natural.

Being completely confused I asked a sales guy what he thinks. He silently pushed M50's to me. I asked "why"? The reply was "because they are the best for recording". I should also mention they were the most expensive ones at $160. I asked about K240 and mentioned that some people say they are studio standard. He replied "yes, because they are sturdier and significantly cheaper, but M50 have wider range".

I was ready to leave, but suddenly saw the box full of headphones and "50% off" tag. I asked him what's it the box. He said they have some open box and demo items and dived in it. I second later he was holding a pair of M50's from the box. He said he can sell them to me for $99 and they come with 30 days return policy and full guarantee. I just need to save a receipt.

I walked out with a pair of headphones. Money sure talk! :-)))
Old 10-19-2011, 11:46 PM

The KRK KNS-8400 headphones just got a phenominal review in "Post" magazine. This is a magazine for both audio and video post production houses. The review says that these headphones have "everything you need and nothing that you don't." They are very natural sounding, have a very sturdy construction, and are moderately priced at $149.
Larrivee J-10 Rosewood
Larrivee Parlour
Old 10-20-2011, 04:25 PM

Audio Technica ATH-M50. These have almost a flat frequency response which is what you want fro recording, however the bass is boosted just a little bit. I think I got mine came from Ebay for $100.
Cool site for comparisons
http://www.headphone.com/selection-g...headphones.php
Old 10-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Consider whether you should get open back or closed back headphones. They sound different and function differently. Will you be using the headphones when recording, when mixing or both?
Old 10-20-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantrock View Post
Audio Technica ATH-M50. These have almost a flat frequency response which is what you want fro recording, however the bass is boosted just a little bit. I think I got mine came from Ebay for $100.
Cool site for comparisons
http://www.headphone.com/selection-g...headphones.php
I just have to point out that if the bass is boosted, then the frequency response isn't really flat.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:13 PM

Ultrasone makes some very nice headphones

http://www.ultrasone.com/

Dave
Old 10-20-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAFIGATOR View Post
...I asked about K240 and mentioned that some people say they are studio standard. He replied "yes, because they are sturdier and significantly cheaper, but M50 have wider range".
Of course equipment designed for professional use has to be sturdy.

It is my understanding that the price of the K 240 Studio was significantly reduced with the advent of the K 240 MK II.

AKG specifies the frequency response of the K 240 Studio as being 15 to 25,000 Hz. Audio Technica states 15 - 28,000 Hz for the ATH-M50. Since humans can only hear frequencies within the 20-20,000 Hz band (many can't hear beyond 15,000 Hz) the difference in the frequency range of the two headphones is insignificant. Also, those specifications lack the specificity needed to make them meaningful enough to judge which headphones have a better response.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAFIGATOR View Post
I asked about K240 and mentioned that some people say they are studio standard. He replied "yes, because they are sturdier and significantly cheaper, but M50 have wider range".
No, that is not why studios use them. In that price range, "cheaper" is not a factor. Pro studios cannot afford to go cheap if it will impact how their recordings are heard. Bob Womack (post#5) is an engineer at a professional recording studio and he explained why...the simple fact is that the K240s sound more like the expensive and reliable studio monitors! If the M50s have a boost in bass, then you are not getting an accurate sonic representation of your recording and mixes will reflect that inaccuracy. I'm sure the M50s are good headphones for listening to music, but for recording the K240s are a standard for very good reasons.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 10-21-2011, 10:33 AM

Guys, I want to thank you very much for sharing your knowledge. This is why AGF is such a great place to be: even a guy like me, who's been playing, performing and even working on guitars for many years can learn a ton of stuff! :-)
Old 10-22-2011, 12:32 PM

I meant the M50 phones are just slightly boosted in the bass. The M50's have a flatter response than most any others in the 100-200 range, including the K 240 Studio which have a really good sound but are not even close to flat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD