The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-06-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
That's true, Little Martins does not compare to either Dr Jr or full size guitars, but put a set of fresh strings, sit in a small room and it may speak to you.

I often play it very late in the evening at the kitchen, while other family members gone to sleep, and love it for that purpose. It is also easy to grab it and play a few things while in a hurry.
If you are looking for a fun guitar to play that is well crafted and affordable, the LX1 is a good choice. I have one and I love playing it. Mine has the solid spruce top. But don’t expect it to sound like a dreadnought. It’s a blast to play
Gibson A4 Mandolin (1913)
Old 10-06-2019, 08:55 PM

06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 10-07-2019, 04:29 AM

I've owned both versions and much prefer the all HPL Little Martin. To my ears, the LXM has a deeper, more substantive voice than the LX1.

YMV

Last edited by geelinus; 10-08-2019 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:00 PM

I own the LXM and its a great guitar. I plan to pass mine to my son to learn on someday. I have not compared it directly to an LX1 but all I can say is the quality and depth of tone always suprises me everytime. As an all laminate guitar it is also extremely difficult to dink or scratch.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 10-07-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoMartinMan View Post
I agree. It's worth the extra investment to get the Dreadnought Jr. The LXM and LX1 are no comparison to a solid wood guitar.
I agree with this. I've played the DJr and have been impressed at the sound for a guitar to travel with. I have NOT played the reimagined 10 series with the 000 dimensions. But--I'm thinking of one for those family reunions when the good stuff isn't going to travel with me.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrk View Post
I think the little martins, regardless from what version you use, are so far from what a good non-amped acoustic sounds like it doesn't really matter what version you choose. Every one of them left me thoroughly unimpressed tbh, but i can see it has it's uses.
I had an LX1E ( Ed Sheeran X model ) for awhile . I thought that it would be nice to have a toss around parlor guitar for the living room . something that I could pick up anytime

however . I wasn't impressed with the acoustic sound , so I put my acoustic amp in the room . it sounded great plugged in ( with EQ and reverb ) . the scale length started to bother me . 23" is way too short if you want to do anything with a capo . and forget about Here Comes The Sun . I know how Ed Sheeran does it . the guy is a little leprechaun

I traded it with a local guy , for a guitar that was too big for him . so it all worked out . now I just keep a Yamaha dread in the living room __ as a bang around

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion