The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2019, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I tried these and liked them a lot, but they wear out just as quick as the cheapy ones, so it wasn't worth it for me.
What gauge did you use?

I've been using the 1.4/grip triangle for many months now, and still on the first one! (Wondering why I bought two packages now . My friend, who I gave a 1.3 standard 351 size - same story.)
Old 09-24-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
What gauge did you use?

I've been using the 1.4/grip triangle for many months now, and still on the first one! (Wondering why I bought two packages now . My friend, who I gave a 1.3 standard 351 size - same story.)

As a mostly rhythm player, chords and strumming... is the 1.3 mostly a single note style pick. Over the years my picks have been in the .73 range but thinking of ordering the .73 through 1.3.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillD07 View Post
As a mostly rhythm player, chords and strumming... is the 1.3 mostly a single note style pick[?]. Over the years my picks have been in the .73 range but thinking of ordering the .73 through 1.3.
I think the heavier picks probably have some more users/fans in the flatpicking or similar type users. But, it's not only for that type of playing.

I'm almost exclusively a rhythm player, with my friend doing leads when we play together, and I don't change picks in that situation. My rhythm style does occasionally incorporate some bass note accents or partial "G-run" fills, so not only strumming all the strings, but single note lines are pretty rare.

I did use a Fender heavy on acoustic for a long time, and medium on electric, which I switched to Ultex .73 (I have Primetone's in that gauge now) probably 10 years ago, though play extremely rarely these days - probably not once this year (so far)! Anyway, the progression from the heavy to the current 1.4 was just from experimentation. I like the sound better, and the triangle shape probably makes it last longer (3x?), since I don't just have one tip to work with.

For me, the big advantages of heavier picks are the tone and control.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:38 AM

I was gifted a large triangle 1.5 mm primetone in a gc. I feel in love with that pick. Great thick tone. Awesome for the fingerstyle type stuff I was starting to do with picks at the time. It wasn't bright enough to be versatile enough for my needs.

Although I still use it a lot, it is for a particular style of play. I've tried the thinner primetones and really don't like them. Due to liking the triangle shape and loving the tone I decided to try a blue chip. The tp40 I got is far superior to any of the primetones I have. Thicker tone than the 1mms, brighter and fast more versatile than the 1.5mms.

For the money primetones are good but there are better out there. Not to hijack the love, I still do use primetones for certain things.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:39 PM

With all due respect for the opinion of the OP, "BlueChip knock-off" is not really the term I would use to describe the Primetone picks' characteristics. The similar looks are about as far as the similarities go, in my own personal experience. The PT are not bad picks by any means, but I find their tonal and tactile characteristics pretty in line with their price.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 09-25-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:44 PM

Default Prime Tone Picks by Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
I think the heavier picks probably have some more users/fans in the flatpicking or similar type users. But, it's not only for that type of playing.

I'm almost exclusively a rhythm player, with my friend doing leads when we play together, and I don't change picks in that situation. My rhythm style does occasionally incorporate some bass note accents or partial "G-run" fills, so not only strumming all the strings, but single note lines are pretty rare.

I did use a Fender heavy on acoustic for a long time, and medium on electric, which I switched to Ultex .73 (I have Primetone's in that gauge now) probably 10 years ago, though play extremely rarely these days - probably not once this year (so far)! Anyway, the progression from the heavy to the current 1.4 was just from experimentation. I like the sound better, and the triangle shape probably makes it last longer (3x?), since I don't just have one tip to work with.

For me, the big advantages of heavier picks are the tone and control.

Thank you for your insight. I’m confident I’ll like the .73 and .88 Primetone. The 1.0 as well as the 1.3 are of interest and for $5 per 3 pack make the shipping more worthwhile.

I find depending on the day and my ears or the song, the right pick / gauge / material can make all the difference in the world. I call them my amplifiers. Much less complicated and expensive at about a buck a pop!

Last edited by PhillD07; 09-25-2019 at 09:14 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion