The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-26-2014, 10:36 PM

Default My #2 McKnight: Cedar/Mahogany MiniMac

This is also my 2nd Thread at AGF.

It was not a hard decision to start my #2 McKnight build - can't be more satisfied with my first one (here's the link if you would like to take a look: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=320168).

I thought a warmer, more balanced (maybe a little bit more mid-range) guitar will be a good complement for my ABW one. So I talked to Tim and made decision on wood choice and design details. In fact the whole process went quite smoothly except making decision on back & sides selection - Tim had at least 10 different wood which any of them can achieve the tone in my mind... And finally I decided to make everything simple: Cedar & Mahogany, a popular combination.

Some specs:

Golden Pencil Cedar top (Tim said this one is a little bit warmer & lighter than common Western Red Cedar)
Honduran Mahogany back & sides
Honduran Mahogany neck
MiniMac body
14 fret, 25.4 scale
Cocobolo bindings
Cocobolo rosette w/ Diamond Star Ring (can't wait to see!)
Old 04-26-2014, 10:45 PM

The trip start again!

Beautiful Honduran Mahogany back & sides:

Golden Pencil Cedar:

Tim working on sides:

Old 04-26-2014, 10:48 PM

Bending sides:

Sanding back

Old 04-26-2014, 10:51 PM

Making back bracing:

Old 04-26-2014, 10:52 PM

More works on bracing:

Old 04-26-2014, 10:54 PM

Glue & Bend

Old 04-26-2014, 10:55 PM

My 2nd Guitar-In-A-Bag!

Old 04-27-2014, 12:17 AM

Congratulations! I guess this one will be hiding out in Tim's workshop during the McJam in less than 2 months. I'm sure it's going to sound great. I once had the pleasure of playing a WRC/Cuban Mahogany OM-D that Tim made a few years ago and it was a joy to play. I've no doubt that this will surpass that guitar.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:42 AM

I've never heard of a 'Golden Pencil Cedar' soundboard before. Whenever I've had a look at the McKnights website (which is a fair amount) I'm amazed at the options when it comes to tonewoods/and Tim's insight and knowledge of tonewoods.

Tim McKnight is the Willy Wonka (of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) of tonewoods.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

So that's why I have been feeling like an Oompa Loompa! The man loves his deep chocolate truffles.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:14 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
So that's why I have been feeling like an Oompa Loompa! The man loves his deep chocolate truffles.

Chocolate truffles are the best.

RE the double sides - is there a different wood used for the inner side?
Old 04-28-2014, 06:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh2 View Post
I've never heard of a 'Golden Pencil Cedar' soundboard before. Whenever I've had a look at the McKnights website (which is a fair amount) I'm amazed at the options when it comes to tonewoods/and Tim's insight and knowledge of tonewoods.

Tim McKnight is the Willy Wonka (of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) of tonewoods.
Willy W here ...
Here is a history and olfactory test for some of you old enough to have used wooden pencils back in the day. Do you remember the aroma of a freshly sharpened pencil as you stood in line to sharpen your pencil in grade school? Well, the wonderful aroma came from a tree that is known as "Golden Pencil Cedar". It was the Cedar of choice for the pencil industry, many years ago. I am not sure what wood they are using now but its certainly not as easy to sharpen nor does it have the aroma.

I first learned about this wood from Les Stansell who has used Pencil Cedar to build some world class guitars. I believe Howard Klepper has used it as well? I was fortunate to purchase a few hand split billets of this Cedar about a decade ago. It is much lighter in color (hence the "golden" moniker) plus it is considerably lighter in weight than the average run of the mill Western Red Cedar. I do not know what the Latin name of the wood is only the common name.

Any Cedar is difficult to work with in the fact that if you get anything harder than Jello even close to it the wood will often result with a ding or dent. However, once the finish is applied it isn't nearly as susceptible to dings as it is while in the white. If you moisten the wood with a few drops of water it releases that wonderful aroma that brings back memories of bygone days. Its truly unique wood with a voice all its own.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Willy W here ...
Here is a history and olfactory test for some of you old enough to have used wooden pencils back in the day. Do you remember the aroma of a freshly sharpened pencil as you stood in line to sharpen your pencil in grade school? Well, the wonderful aroma came from a tree that is known as "Golden Pencil Cedar". It was the Cedar of choice for the pencil industry, many years ago. I am not sure what wood they are using now but its certainly not as easy to sharpen nor does it have the aroma....
Thanks for the reply Tim/Willy W,

I'd never considered what wood is used in pencils! The 'standard' pencil in the UK, uses Cedar too. I never had any idea it could be used for guitar soundboards! How would you describe the voice of 'Golden Pencil Cedar'?

I came across this website which has details of the type of cedar which is used for pencils, but I'm not sure whether it's the same type of cedar.
http://pencils.com/incense-cedar/

Thanks for mentioning the smell of a freshly sharpened pencil at school. It is a wonderful smell and memory (smell seems strangely to be the sense most attached to memory oddly enough).

I have a lot of love for cedar soundboards. I'm sometimes a little perplexed they are not as popular as they could be.

Thanks for the reply,

Augustus Gloop
Old 04-28-2014, 09:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh2 View Post
How would you describe the voice of 'Golden Pencil Cedar'?
I don't think there is much sonic difference between WRC and GPC except the GPC is slightly warmer sounding overall. The fundamental difference I notice is the weight and density are lighter than WRC. Therefore, it requires less energy to set the top in motion which increases its responsiveness and perhaps a slightly wider dynamic range. Headrooms are similar so the shift in dynamics is on the opposite end IMO.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:53 PM

Wow - what fantastic build pics!!!

YhnoLh - great 2nd thread.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop