The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-22-2011, 09:42 AM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
Wait a minute. I thought this was *your* build.

Did he reshape the bridge plate when he change the tonebars?

Yes...I do understand the philosophical conundrum presented. Larry felt he should have known better and it was his error to fix. I have little skill I could have lent to the process save some sanding. Removing braces with a chisel over the attached sides is not a good job for a novice.

No, the bridge plate was left alone. So, I suppose, a little part of the guitar is still left-handed.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 02-22-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
No, the bridge plate was left alone. So, I suppose, a little part of the guitar is still left-handed.

Correction: Larry did cut off a small-very small- bit of the corner of the bridge plate to accommodate the new tone bars. You can see it in the pic below. The picture shows one of the new tone bars, the placement markings on the X brace and the small corner taken off of the bridge plate to make room for the upper tone bar.

You're longing to be
Eventually
Old 03-13-2011, 09:47 PM

Just a quick update on the progress of my guitar (Mahog/Adi Deep Body OM). Today Larry (Tahoe Guitars)and I shaped the neck and heel, including a (IMHO) graceful full-width volute. Rasps, chisels and files hard at work. We also cut, shaped and partially drilled an ebony bridge.

We first carved the heel, then the volute, then brought the middle of the neck into profile with the ends. We took measurements from the neck of my Collings OM. As with the Collings, we carved a asymmetric modified V (very slight V, slightly steeper curve on the bass side).

Since I last posted I chose to go with gold fretwire, matching gold Grover Sta-tite open back tuners and a yummy quilted sapele headplate.

After much consideration, I've settled on a modified shellac finish applied in a modified French polishing style (no pumice...LMI's water-based pore filler instead).

Enjoy the pics...

Click For Full Set Of Pics

The look of the body:

You're longing to be
Eventually

Last edited by OddManOut; 03-14-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:53 PM

Looks beautiful, and I really like that volute. I'm starting to hate Martin-style diamond volutes when I play in the first position....

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 03-14-2011, 07:09 AM

I wondered about that being lefty thing. Post #8. 1/21/11.

In full disclosure, I had to re-do a few more drastic things. On my first. and second. and third. and...
Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 AM

Default Frets, Headplate, 12th Fret Inlay

Here's an update on the status of my mahogany/Adi deep body OM being team built by Larry Nair of Tahoe Guitars and myself.

We did some "element matching" with the 12th fret marker and the tuners/frets.

(1) Frets: The gold EVO frets are in.

(2) Inlay: After much consideration, we decided to put a classic "willow leaf" at the 12th fret. This is the only fretboard inlay. We used green abalone to match the rosette. I wanted something that was subtle and wouldn't detract from or dominate the overall look of the guitar.

(3) The quilted sapele headplate is on. It should really pop when finished.

(4) We fit the gold Grover Sta-Tite open back tuners to the guitar. The bushings won't be mounted until after the finish is complete.

Once again I have to say Larry has mad skills. Amazing what he knows and the skill with which he is able to execute these things. Thanks, Larry!

The next step is all me...finishing! I am diving headlong into applying a shellac-based finish (modified with a few other resins to improve durability). I plan to apply it with something of a French polishing method, though I will use a modern water-based pore filler. Otherwise it will be shellac, olive oil, alcohol, elbow grease and patience.

Enjoy the pics...

Click For Complete Set of Pics

Some of the 12th fret marker choices we considered:

And the final product (with the gold frets in)...

The headplate with tuners, frets and a mock nut. I love that quilted sapele!!!

You're longing to be
Eventually
Old 03-24-2011, 02:16 PM

Love the aesthetics. Looking forward to seeing that sapele glossed up.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
Love the aesthetics. Looking forward to seeing that sapele glossed up.

Thanks for the compliment. I should get some shellac on her this weekend. I'll post a pic of the headplate. I, too, am looking forward to seeing it under some finish.

You're longing to be
Eventually
Old 03-25-2011, 07:30 PM

Enjoyed the pics, thank you. I am in the process of building too so in your shoes. I wanted to offer my reaction to the decorative elements in an attitude I would want someone to offer to me. My opinion is that there is too much going on with the pearl, herringbone, backstrip, headplate, wedge and wedge inlay. They are all different and dont present a unified theme. I dont insist I am right, just my reaction. I am very interested in seeing how the clear filler works out.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Enjoyed the pics, thank you. I am in the process of building too so in your shoes. I wanted to offer my reaction to the decorative elements in an attitude I would want someone to offer to me. My opinion is that there is too much going on with the pearl, herringbone, backstrip, headplate, wedge and wedge inlay. They are all different and dont present a unified theme. I dont insist I am right, just my reaction. I am very interested in seeing how the clear filler works out.
As I stated in an earlier post, I would have gone with a more traditional rosette-maybe herringbone-if I had it to do over. True the curly maple with with the diagonal check purfle is not traditional. Overall, I like the look of the guitar though there is a fair amount going on. Of course I'm biased.

You're longing to be
Eventually
Old 03-25-2011, 09:04 PM

Larrivee has used a similar mix of elements, and I think it works well. Abalone rosette, maple binding, and herringbone trim. Throw in a sunburst for extra measure.

Last edited by gitnoob; 03-25-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:00 PM

Default Update 4/21/2011: Finishing Completed

A quick update on the progress of my Mahog/Adi OM Deep Body that I am building with Larry Nair of Tahoe Guitars.

Well...I did the finish sanding and slogged through finishing the guitar in a modified shellac (blond shellac, sandarac, elemi gum, benzoin in 99% isopropyl alcohol). The whole process from finish sanding to applying the shellac was one of the most trying things I've done. Folks...it ain't easy.

To be philosophical, it is in this phase that the guitar truly became mine. I spent hours alone working the surfaces of the guitar, agonizing over the idiosyncrasies of the shellac finish, and finding peace in a certain level of acceptance of non-perfection (builds character to be sure). There are plenty of flaws in the finish and some places-the heel in particular-where the sanding could have been better. But...it is what it is. Commercial grade? No. My baby? Yes!

In the macro view, the guitar is quite pretty IMHO. The shellac imparts a very rich, semi gloss finish. Certainly a different visual effect than modern finishes.

All that remains now is gluing the bridge, routing the saddle slot, gluing the neck, mounting the tuners, making the saddle and nut, mounting the pickguard, and settin' her up. So close I can start to taste it!

Enjoy the pics!

Click for the latest pics

Click for the entire Strangeman OM Album

You're longing to be
Eventually
Old 04-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Great stuff! My second French Polish was more of a sanded level thick spit coat. My 3rd was the first real Gloss Hand Polish. However, my first was on a Brazilian Rosewood restoration. It took to glossing up faster than Mahogany or Sycamore.
Best of luck in your final stages.
Ask your tutor why he chooses to do the saddle slot after mounting? I find saddle slots to be the scariest moment for me.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:18 PM

Looks great!

Just about done with a similiar build, my first. Still have a few details to finish but she's playing.

One of the most rewarding things I've undertaken.

Well done with yours...
Old 04-22-2011, 07:32 AM

I love this picture the best:

I just love how the mahogany shimmers under the shellac. I've grown to love that sort of back strip too. I also am working on a mahogany build for my first and it's been hard to keep perspective because mine is taking so long to come together. I hope you don't mind if I ogle yours until then!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair