The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-06-2021, 01:47 PM

Default Laminate Top Classical guitar Needed

Recommendations please.
Looking for a new Classical guitar:
Most important requirements are, non-cutaway, laminate top,
and adjustable truss rod.

Possibly considering an Alvarez RC26, about $230 with gig bag.
but if there was a better choice I'd be interested.

I'm not interested in any solid top classical guitars,
due to humidity/temperature control.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 03-06-2021, 05:49 PM

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/c1/

Does the RC26 have a truss rod?
I had a 3/4 sized Protege (a model name before Cordoba changed it to a series name to which the C1 belongs) and it was a very good sounding lam top, and was also well built.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/c1/

Does the RC26 have a truss rod?
I had a 3/4 sized Protege (a model name before Cordoba changed it to a series name to which the C1 belongs) and it was a very good sounding lam top, and was also well built.
Thank you for responding.

I'm not sure if the RC26 has a truss rod, I've never seen the guitar.
A local music store claims it does but they are currently out of stock awaiting next shipment.
A full size Cordoba C1 could be a contender
but there is only one music store (Guitar Center),
with-in a reasonable distance who are a Cordoba dealer.
They don't stock the C1 but I'll see if they can get one in.
I'd rather not do mail order and try the guitar before I buy.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 03-07-2021, 04:53 PM

That's a tough combination of specs to find. Truss rods are still the exception rather than the norm for classical guitars, though they are becoming more common, especially in factory built instruments. I won't get into that debate here since you've clearly stated your preference. Aside from the Cordoba C1 series that you already mentioned, I'm having a hard time thinking of other laminate top classicals that also have a truss rod. Not sure about Yamaha, but in the past they haven't. Maybe the Takamine G series?

Edit: Looks like the Ibanez GA3 may have a truss rod. I see one locally on craigslist in the Boston area--not sure where you are in New England. The Lucero LC100 is also a laminate top that I think has a truss rod.

Given your comment about humidity control, would you consider nontraditional materials like carbon fiber? These will obviously be much more expensive--are you specifically looking for entry level (which is what you'll get with a laminate top)?

Last edited by smwink; 03-07-2021 at 05:06 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-08-2021, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwink View Post
That's a tough combination of specs to find. Truss rods are still the exception rather than the norm for classical guitars, though they are becoming more common, especially in factory built instruments. I won't get into that debate here since you've clearly stated your preference. Aside from the Cordoba C1 series that you already mentioned, I'm having a hard time thinking of other laminate top classicals that also have a truss rod. Not sure about Yamaha, but in the past they haven't. Maybe the Takamine G series?

Edit: Looks like the Ibanez GA3 may have a truss rod. I see one locally on craigslist in the Boston area--not sure where you are in New England. The Lucero LC100 is also a laminate top that I think has a truss rod.

Given your comment about humidity control, would you consider nontraditional materials like carbon fiber? These will obviously be much more expensive--are you specifically looking for entry level (which is what you'll get with a laminate top)?

Thank you for responding.

I received confirmation from another local music store that the
Alvares RC26 they have in stock does have a laminate top and truss rod.

I did recently notice the Takamine GC1 which appears to have a laminate top and truss rod.
However, as with the Cordoba C1, no local music stores have them in stock.
Local being within a 100 mile range.
Unfortunately the craigslist Ibanez GA3 location is 3+ hours away.

I am a huge advocate of carbon fiber steel string acoustic guitars, I currently have three.
If a carbon fiber classical acoustic guitar exists, it might be a future consideration.
The classical guitar I am seeking is not for myself but an adult beginner guitarist.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 03-12-2021, 03:37 AM

More often in classic guitars you´ll find that there is a laminated neck rather then a truss rod, due to the less string tension then in a western guitar. Supposedly it´s not considered necessary with a truss rod.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical