The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2021, 08:58 PM

I am blessed with a wonderful lady, who like many, gives me the look and death stare lol , and a bit off attitude every time i bring home a new guitar.

But she snaps out of it, and had some amazing custom engraved pics made for me on our anniversary.

I try spoil her as much, for putting up with my various addictions.

She has to put up with triathlons, photography and now everything music.

I love her bass response, her mids and overtones, i think she is the “one”, and a keeper.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I noticed in our email this morning that my wife ordered this hoodie for me. It's nice to have a spouse that understands you. Though I do listen to her, really.

How about you?
I make the mistake and tell her "This is the one" and when another brown box shows up, I get the speech [emoji38]
Old 03-06-2021, 05:10 AM

Well, I have to admit that my wife listens better to me than I to her. Years back, I would randomly mention how “I’d love a 12 string guitar some day”. No brands mentioned, no reason, just me whining for a second or two. Anyway, that Christmas she completely floored me by giving me a Martin Jumbo 12 string with a “stop whining and enjoy” (with a big grin). Now that’s a listening partner.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

I had been engaged to a girl who, to put it mildly, was barely tolerant of my guitar playing. One of the many reasons we went separate ways.

When I subsequently started to get serious about another girl, I played for her, which she hadn’t known I did. She was enthralled, and still is after over 40 years. She sings with me in my acoustic group and I pretty much have total freedom to buy what ever guitar stuff I want; a privilege I am careful not to abuse.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Mine just bought me an Eastman MD615 Mandolin for my 65th! She contributed half-sies on my Martin and McIlroy, and didn't complain (too much) when I bought a PRS Hollowbody!
She's one of a (the best) kind.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:00 AM

Great thread. Married an amazing woman 40 years ago. She let's me have my space; I let her have her space. Couples need room to grow and flourish apart from their partners, I think. She's never made a stink about all the money I've spent on guitars, which has been a lot over the decades. Guitars can be expensive, but compared to cars, boats, or summer houses, maybe not so much.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:20 AM

Mark me down as one of the fortunate ones also. My wife has been supportive of my hobby for 39 years. It’s mutual, as I support her in her endeavors as well.

We remark occasionally how blessed we are to have found one another. Love is grand indeed, but friendship in a marriage is vital to happiness.

Rb
Old 03-06-2021, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

My wife says I never listen to her when I'm playing the guitar.

I think...... Pretty sure she says something.

Seriously though. She bought me my first mandolin as a First Father's Day gift in 1981. A Madeira M10 double cut-away teardrop. Sitka top/Rosewood back & sides. Made in Japan (imported by Guild).
Still have it and love it. (And her, too). It holds it own against my other mandos (Eastman MD305 and MD314).

And since I've always managed to get paying gigs, family needs have always come first and now that we're empty-nest'ers, she doesn't question my acquisitions.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 03-06-2021 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:59 AM

We will be celebrating our 40th anniversary this summer. I still have the 4 guitars I had when we meet. Since 2007 I have added 5 more plus a mandolin.

Her basic response is why do you need another one? You can only play one at a time. May take several discussions before I buy one but sometimes she relents just to shut me up.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 03-06-2021, 08:22 AM

My wife is great with my guitar purchases and time spent playing them. I have added quite a few guitars, both acoustic and electric, since I retired 13 years ago. She is far better with it when I add an acoustic than when I add an electric. Like me, she really likes the sound of an acoustic much more than electrics (even though I only play the electric clean at at a lower volume than That of my acoustics.

Besides that, she is quite a bit younger than me and is still working. She is a nurse and has worked the COVID unit at the hospital since this all began last spring. (she volunteered to work that unit).
Old 03-06-2021, 08:32 AM

Default Spouse Appreciation

My wife and I first met in 1967 as church musicians...

She's been in and out of a number of groups with me over the years - mostly CCM/P&W teams, and one fairly successful country/rock band...

She's also my second set of eyes/ears/hands whenever a new acquisition is being considered - she'll see/hear/feel things I might miss, and vice versa - and chief negotiator when it comes time to pull out the plastic...

Between us we've probably gone through enough instruments to stock a thriving local mom-&-pop (no joke)...

I'm buying us a his-&-hers set of those sweatshirts...
Old 03-06-2021, 09:10 AM

Smile

Quote:
Her basic response is why do you need another one? You can only play one at a time.
I had that question asked to me once. My response? Well honey, why do you need 10,000 pair of shoes, you can only wear one pair at a time?

We're good now.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:54 AM

I will be retiring in a little over 70 days and have been agonizing how I'm going to get my three guitars up to the house we're moving to. My number one, my Gibson, will travel on the plane with me as carry-on luggage but that left my 2 Martins potentially going in the moving van ... Not a very comforting thought.

About 2 weeks ago my wife came up with an idea that shows how tolerant she is of my guitar obsession. We had been debating taking a quick trip up to the new house during my spring break, but hadn't decided to actually do so. Then she said we should take my 2 Martins as carry-on luggage on that trip so they wouldn't have to ride in a moving van. A brilliant solution!

Yep, I'm a very, very lucky man!

Best,
PJ
Old 03-06-2021, 10:25 AM

Ok guys lets flip the coin a minute!!! You gentlemen are very lucky to have what sounds like real gems for partners.
Let me brag about my diamond in the rough!!! My husband doesn't know a lick about music but supports my decisions on guitars. ( As long as I have the money for them and does not eat at his gun stash) lol
Love him to pieces and every once in awhile I catch him listening to me, while I play. So guess my playing isn't so bad.
It is true....each partner needs their own happy!!!
1817 Ovation vintage
Old 03-06-2021, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

I told my wife this morning about all the nice stories being told. And now she's at it again:
g2.jpg

Keep 'em coming. Maybe I'll end up with a couple more sweatshirts

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion