The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-05-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I’ve only played it electric with rock bands, always in A. Our acoustic group doesn’t do it but we do I Know a Little, also in A. Maybe we could hook Johnny B to the end of it. Hmmm . . . .
Same here, key of A on electric. I didn't even know the original was in Bflat. I wonder what version I was jamming to back in the 80s?
Old 03-05-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mike_ View Post
I’m rhythm on this one. A D and E over Bb Eb and F.
Why does it make a difference, though? It's just one fret up or down unless you're cowboy-chording it, right?
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 03-05-2021, 07:22 PM

The singer gets to pick the key. Usually A.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 03-05-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
Why does it make a difference, though? It's just one fret up or down unless you're cowboy-chording it, right?
Key of Bflat is physically rather tight. In that, A, E has more open strings.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:12 PM

Hardly a “strict arrangement” kinda guy as:

1 - He really never played anything the same way twice.

2 - He used a different group of pickup musicians every night who had no idea what he was gonna do.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittoon View Post
Key of Bflat is physically rather tight. In that, A, E has more open strings.
That's what's hanging me up, though -- I don't get why you'd need open strings to play Johnny B. Goode.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 03-07-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
That's what's hanging me up, though -- I don't get why you'd need open strings to play Johnny B. Goode.

No “need” for open strings. Just preference! Physically easier/faster in general. -Also, open strings have the advantage of ringing/droning more.

I found a complete list of Beatles songs arranged by key. Even they (and also the Rolling Stones) chose key of A for Johnny B. Goode.

According to the list, the Beatles engaged the key of Bflat on only 4 of 230 (or so)
recorded songs.

I’ll take a wild guess and say Chuck Berry used Bflat to accommodate the horn players and not his voice range.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:12 AM

Quote:
I’ll take a wild guess and say Chuck Berry used Bflat to accommodate the horn players and not his voice range.
Yes, possibly.
He liked C for live performance (almost every time), but that's when he would naturally be singing with more power, able to push his voice higher.
In the studio, Bb probably felt a little more comfortable, might have been the pianist's preferred key, and would certainly suit any horn players better than A major would.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:53 PM

There were no horns on the original. It was likely more so for his piano player, Jai Johnny Johnson.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuke View Post
There were no horns on the original. It was likely more so for his piano player, Jai Johnny Johnson.
That's what I heard, too. Johnson did the arrangements and Chuck's hands were so big that it didn't matter to him what the key signature was.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
No “need” for open strings. Just preference! Physically easier/faster in general. -Also, open strings have the advantage of ringing/droning more.

I found a complete list of Beatles songs arranged by key. Even they (and also the Rolling Stones) chose key of A for Johnny B. Goode.

According to the list, the Beatles engaged the key of Bflat on only 4 of 230 (or so)
recorded songs.

Respectfully, if you're using open strings on stuff like Chuck Berry, then you can't possibly capture the original essence of those songs. You need barre chords, and the muting, staccato, and other "effects" that we all employ, UNCONSCIOUSLY, when we play it.

Open strings would make it a different song. Kinda Muzaky, in my humble opinion. (And the number of Beatles songs in Bb is irrelevant to this topic. Again, my opinion. Apologies.)
Old 03-11-2021, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

IMHO just find the key that best suits your voice and go with it. Audiences love this song regardless of key.

Have fun!
Old 03-12-2021, 02:35 AM

Flat keys are used loads in jazz and I believe that Chuck was heavily influenced by Charlie Christian(and T Bone),playing in a flat key would be no big deal.I`d play it in whatever key the vocalist requested.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuke View Post
Right - no horns!
As I said, although he liked C for live performance, he wanted to bring it down a little for the studio, and Bb was probably what Johnson preferred out of the other nearby choices: B or A, with Chuck not wanting to go lower than A.
Likewise, having worked with horns in the past, Bb would be a familiar key.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
IMHO just find the key that best suits your voice and go with it. Audiences love this song regardless of key.

Have fun!
Yup, people love it. Just DONT fall into the cheesy cover band trap of playing the chorus wrong! Once you get to the five, it stays there, it does NOT go back to the four.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write