The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2021, 10:19 AM

I was able to purchase an HD28 and a D18 at 21% and 18% respectively off MAP in early December and early January at Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center. I made an offer on the HD28, and was quoted over the phone on the D18. I had to pay state sales tax, but being able to actually play my guitars before purchase was worth it, and they will set them up any how I want. I've been buying from them for close to 50 years, they're great to deal with.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK LP View Post
I was able to purchase an HD28 and a D18 at 21% and 18% respectively off MAP in early December and early January at Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center. I made an offer on the HD28, and was quoted over the phone on the D18. I had to pay state sales tax, but being able to actually play my guitars before purchase was worth it, and they will set them up any how I want. I've been buying from them for close to 50 years, they're great to deal with.
Totally agree - they are by far my favorite music store - they are a bit of a throwback in these days of specialization- they are a general music megastore- and in addition to guitars, they have a huge selection of synthesizers, drums, oboes, French horns, to high end tubas. And the store is still owned and operated by second and third generation family.

I was recently contemplating something to try and I contacted a well regarded forum sponsor for a quote and was told that I had to pay MAP pricing but they would match a competitors price. Chuck’s didn’t have it in stock but they told me they could order it and I was offered a sizable discount on the spot without asking for it. Guess which store is guaranteed to earn more business from me in the future?
Old 03-06-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK LP View Post
You should had them sent to me in Oregon and saved you the sales tax.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 03-07-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
You should had them sent to me in Oregon and saved you the sales tax.
Maybe next time.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
When i look at prices of used guitars, they seem quite high compared to a year ago, and there aren’t many available (of the models I follow).

I think the pandemic is still affecting supply chains, and the amount of stock that is available.I And i have read reports that demand for guitars is up.

Definitely call Maury if you haven’t already done so. But I wouldn’t be too surprised if the old guidelines about getting discounts is not applicable right now.
One of my favorite music stores normally has a large supply of Martin guitars. I checked today and they only had a few. Some of those were way out of my price range and some of the others were really inexpensive. Not many mid-range guitars were offered.

Another music store that I like is selling quite a few Custom Martins but they are several years old. They must have been sitting in Martin's warehouse.

I'll just play what I have.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:28 AM

I don’t really have an answer to your question, but I have always remembered my Fathers advice about buying cars. As long as they are saying “yes”, you haven’t found their lowest price.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
I don’t really have an answer to your question, but I have always remembered my Fathers advice about buying cars. As long as they are saying “yes”, you haven’t found their lowest price.
Ha! I like that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion