The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-28-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
It does sound like it's well past time to upgrade.

I can understand being impatient and wanting to buy now. In the absence of being able to personally inspect and play an individual instrument, there isn't a lot of objective criteria to use to distinguish between one instrument and another. It then becomes mostly a crapshoot.
Yes. Trouble is, even when trying instruments in shops in the past I've found it hard to compare similar models.
A few years back I was doing that for a new steel-string, and was surprised that everything sounded and felt "kind of OK" (up to and above my budget at the time), but I never got the "wow" sensation one gets when one instrument speaks to you, when it feels and sounds just right.
In the end I bought one on ebay purely on reputation, and it was great - not quite what I'd been looking for (I wanted a wider nut originally), but the sound and feel otherwise was perfect. And well under my budget too.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:28 AM

Guitar bought!

Thanks all for your advice, but I've retreated from the confusing decisions about used Ramirez guitars on ebay. The prices (at the moment) didn't seem like great bargains, and all the ones I saw were collection only (tricky for me atm). Plus there's the issue of inflation due to the name, which is not a primary concern for me. I doubt I'll ever be selling this guitar.

I had Cordoba in mind as second choice from the start, having seen so many recommendations for the C9 and C10 in particular. The combination of cedar and mahogany on the C9 appealed, as did the slightly cheaper price.

For the last few days I had my eye on a used store demo C9 for £799 - just one very tiny ding on one edge - and then an offer appeared on new ones for £788 (UK store, delivery and case included). SOLD! It should arrive Thursday.

I may post photos here, although I'm sure you all know what C9s look like...
Old 03-01-2021, 09:59 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post

For the last few days I had my eye on a used store demo C9 for £799 - just one very tiny ding on one edge - and then an offer appeared on new ones for £788 (UK store, delivery and case included). SOLD! It should arrive Thursday.
That would have been my suggestion in that price range from the start - glad you ended up there.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Congrats! Sounds like an excellent and well reasoned out choice.
Quote:
I may post photos here, although I'm sure you all know what C9s look like...
Please do! Guitar pics ALWAYS welcome!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 03-01-2021, 11:33 AM

OK! Delivery will actually be Friday, so don't hold your breath...
Old 03-05-2021, 12:17 PM

Congratulations and welcome to the serial guitar buyers club

I'd say it's time to strike a balance in your collection...
Old 03-05-2021, 01:48 PM

I've owned some high-end guitars over the past ten years (Sahlin, Gutmeier, Hill, GV Rubio) and I'll still tell anyone who will listen - the Cordoba C9 is a fantastic guitar. I've owned one and played others and they're consistently excellent. I do prefer the cedar over the spruce. Great decision, Jon!
Old 03-06-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
I've owned some high-end guitars over the past ten years (Sahlin, Gutmeier, Hill, GV Rubio) and I'll still tell anyone who will listen - the Cordoba C9 is a fantastic guitar. I've owned one and played others and they're consistently excellent. I do prefer the cedar over the spruce. Great decision, Jon!
Thanks - good to hear, seeing as I didn't get chance to do a head-to-head comparison with any others! I'll see I can upload some pics and ideally some audio in a day or so...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical