The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2021, 04:33 PM

Default Tuners on J-45?

Hey AGF,

I bought a 2020 new Gibson J-45 in August. Loving the guitar but noticing I have to tune it pretty regularly. Could be just me being OCD, or just the fact that guitars are imperfect instruments, but...idk. Last string change was with pro set up. The website describes the tuners that came with it as "grover rotomatic with kidney buttons" but I don't know if that means the 14:1 ratio or 18:1, or which model of rotomatics specifically. I'm trying to find out how good my current tuners are and if an upgrade would actually help. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiggyPudding18 View Post
Hey AGF,

I bought a 2020 new Gibson J-45 in August. Loving the guitar but noticing I have to tune it pretty regularly. Could be just me being OCD, or just the fact that guitars are imperfect instruments, but...idk. Last string change was with pro set up. The website describes the tuners that came with it as "grover rotomatic with kidney buttons" but I don't know if that means the 14:1 ratio or 18:1, or which model of rotomatics specifically. I'm trying to find out how good my current tuners are and if an upgrade would actually help. Thanks!
I tune my guitars pretty regularly, it’s just the nature of wood, temperature, humidity, etc..

The only guitar I own that doesn’t need as much attention is my carbon fiber guitar.

I have to remind my buddy to tune his guitar, he doesn’t hear when it’s out of tune. He, like others, may not tune as much as you or I.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-07-2021, 04:59 PM

Default A thought

Every time I pick up the guitar to play it, it gets tuned. And always needs it. A feature of all such instruments, no extra charge.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:01 PM

Is it going out of tune while you play it, or just needs tuning when you first pick it up? What sort of humidity and temperature swings do you have in the place where you keep it? My guitars live in my office where temperatures range between 17 and 22 C and humidity between 40 and 50%. I usually have to tune all of the strings on a guitar every time I pick it up for the first time that day, but then they mostly hold tune for the playing session with some occasional smaller ad-hoc tune-ups.

Last edited by jdto; 03-07-2021 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Clarifying a little bit
Old 03-07-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
Is it going out of tune while you play it, or just needs tuning when you first pick it up? What sort of humidity and temperature swings do you have in the place where you keep it? My guitars live in my office where temperatures range between 17 and 22 C and humidity between 40 and 50%. I usually have to tune a guitar every time I pick it up for the first time that day, but then they hold tune for the playing session.
I always read these claims, and I’m sure you’re sincere, but I’ve never seen a performer that didn’t tune their guitar multiple times during a performance.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-07-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I always read these claims, and I’m sure you’re sincere, but I’ve never seen a performer that didn’t tune their guitar multiple times during a performance.
Fair point. I should say “mostly” hold tune. But yeah, things still do move even while playing.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
That’s a good point.

I keep temp and humidity pretty consistent I think, not sure how to answer jdto’s question—I guess I usually notice that a string or two has fallen out of tune. Could be while playing or before playing.

I feel like my J-45 goes out of tune a little more than the previous long scale Taylor and Martin that I had, so perhaps it could just be the short scale that causes it to go out of tune a little more?

Last edited by FiggyPudding18; 03-07-2021 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:22 PM

Most tuning issues are not due to faulty tuners. The Grovers on your J45 are about as stable as any out there.

Humidity and temp swings, improper tuning technique, and strings binding at the nut are typical causes for tuning issues.

This time of year (at least in the Midwest) brings on problems with stability in the neck and body, resulting in frustration for those of us who hear out of tuneness (is that a term?).

I doubt if changing the tuners would make a difference.

Rb
Old 03-07-2021, 06:27 PM

I need to tune my J45 more than the others. I plan on swapping out the tuners at some point. The Grovers feel 'sloppy'.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-07-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
I need to tune my J45 more than the others. I plan on swapping out the tuners at some point. The Grovers feel 'sloppy'.
Have you tried adjusting them?
Hold the tuner button and tighten the tuner button screw - there's a tiny wavy spring steel washer on the shaft and tightening the screw compresses it and reduces that sloppy feel.

I took this picture with strings on but it's best to do with strings off.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-07-2021, 07:26 PM

For the most part, you are not being OCD. I have a couple guitars that always seem in tune, no matter what, and at all times.

It reminds me of the often told story of the one who takes out a beloved guitar that was in storage and low and behold, it's in perfect tune.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Have you tried adjusting them?
Hold the tuner button and tighten the tuner button screw - there's a tiny wavy spring steel washer on the shaft and tightening the screw compresses it and reduces that sloppy feel.

I took this picture with strings on but it's best to do with strings off.
Thanks Bruce, I'll give it a shot
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-07-2021, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiggyPudding18 View Post
Hey AGF,

The next time you take the strings off, make 14 full turns of the tuner button and see how much the string post revolves. If it's one complete revolution, your tuners are 14:1. If it's about 3/4 of a revolution, they're probably 18:1. FWIW, my Martin D-35 came with Grover Roto's as the stock tuners and they work great for me.
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 03-08-2021, 09:26 AM

Don't over tighten the screws on Grovers!
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 03-08-2021, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Most tuning issues are not due to faulty tuners. The Grovers on your J45 are about as stable as any out there.

Humidity and temp swings, improper tuning technique, and strings binding at the nut are typical causes for tuning issues.

This time of year (at least in the Midwest) brings on problems with stability in the neck and body, resulting in frustration for those of us who hear out of tuneness (is that a term?).

I doubt if changing the tuners would make a difference.

Rb
Yep. They are great tuners. More likely humidity fluctuations... Newer guitars have a high moisture content to the wood I think than those a decade old for example. I would expect a new guitar to fluctuate more? But I am not a luthier. I just play one by reading AGF

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion