The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-07-2021, 02:26 AM

Default What kind of volumes do problems start?

I've just did a gig with a friend - the first in years and the first acoustic one. He plugged in, I used a mic, which I like to do but it does have the problem of staying a consistent distance and I was swapping guitars often in a tight space - I was a bit of a pain tbh. So we've decided that I need to get some kind of pickup. I'm thinking a JJB prestige 330. My guitar is a parlor RK-RP 10. (My other guitar was a reso with a pickup, he had a Cole Clarke)
I have a decent, single disc piezo (A JJB also) and prior to the gig we were playing around with it, just blu-tacked to the outside. Yes, not ideal but as an exploration. Got an ok sound, running through an ADI21 into his small PA, but the feedback kicked in pretty early, even after knocking back the offending frequencies. So we settled on the mic in this case as we had no time for a proper soundcheck, just had to show up and plugin pretty much....

I know there are so many factors, but my question is this -
Would the 330 on the soundboard behave better, feedback wise, or be just as unruly? Would a sound hole cover help?
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 03-07-2021, 07:54 AM

I can relate a bit of personal experience. I use K&K Pure Mini transducers and they work very well for amplified stage work, particularly if you can adjust whatever stage monitor you are using so it doesn't point directly at the guitar.

I used my guitar for a long gig where I knew ahead of time that the stage volume was going to be high so I used a sound hole blocker. It worked really well, and I could play at high volumes with no feedback.

The one I used was the D'Addario Screeching Halt sound hole cover:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 03-07-2021, 08:46 AM

I've mounted quite a few JJB's in a variety of instruments. Like Rudy mentioned, the only times I've had feedback problems were when I played directly in front of a monitor.

In my experience its a lot easier to get feedback using a mic. I can get higher stage volume without feedback using a SBT.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:02 AM

Thanks for the info. I bit the bullet, ordered the JJB 330's today.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification