The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-06-2021, 04:24 PM

Default Anyone have experience with trans acoustics and tonewood amps?

I have a Yamaha trans acoustic and I enjoy turning on the actuator for certain songs. So much that I’d like to have this option on my other guitars as well. So I’m considering a tonewood amp. Can anyone tell me if you get more volume from the tonewood amp than the trans acoustics? Or is it basically the same concept?
Old 03-06-2021, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

I have a Transacoustic, but I've never played with a Tonewood Amp. Here is a video from justinguitar.com that suggests you get pretty good volume.

If you're interested in those effects, you might also take a look at the Lag Hyvibe. In addition to the system in the Lag guitars, they are supposedly going to be offering systems that can be installed in any acoustic.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I have a Transacoustic, but I've never played with a Tonewood Amp. Here is a video from justinguitar.com that suggests you get pretty good volume.

If you're interested in those effects, you might also take a look at the Lag Hyvibe. In addition to the system in the Lag guitars, they are supposedly going to be offering systems that can be installed in any acoustic.
Ok thanks for the link! I didn’t realize that my thread was moved and that someone replied. The hyvibe looks interesting but I’m more after something that I can switch from one guitar to another. I do love my transacoustic. It’s really fun to turn on the effects for certain songs.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:17 AM

I have a tone wood amp

I set mine so that the tonewood just "adds" the ambience of the effect, (Reverb, delay) If you push it too much, it gets hard to control
Old 03-08-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I have a tone wood amp

I set mine so that the tonewood just "adds" the ambience of the effect, (Reverb, delay) If you push it too much, it gets hard to control
Ok good to know. I think I’ll be ordering one soon.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubs76 View Post
Ok good to know. I think I’ll be ordering one soon.
cool

there's a few tricks to getting it right,.. you can PM me if you think you have questions I can help with.

I have x braces in 4 different acoustics, and it behaves a bit differently in each one, as they all have slightly different pickups. it is pretty awesome once you dial it in.. Take your time, don't give up on it..
Old 03-08-2021, 03:14 PM

Do you use rechargable batteries in yours? I have one but don't like the weight it adds to the guitar but the sounds are really fun. I just need to become a better player to truly enjoy it

I like it better with picking than with strumming... But I don't know much about studio effects
Old 03-08-2021, 09:08 PM

Quote:
cool

there's a few tricks to getting it right,.. you can PM me if you think you have questions I can help with.

I have x braces in 4 different acoustics, and it behaves a bit differently in each one, as they all have slightly different pickups. it is pretty awesome once you dial it in.. Take your time, don't give up on it..
Ok appreciate it! I figured that there’d be a learning curve but that’s fine, it’ll be fun to discover it’s capabilities.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Ok appreciate it! I figured that there’d be a learning curve but that’s fine, it’ll be fun to discover it’s capabilities.
yes, it's all quite simply handled once you get the gist of tings.

Like most people, the only settings that you'll probably find the most use full are the reverbs and the delay settings.

just as an fyi..

When installing the x-brace in the gutiar, there are a few tips that Tonewood will provide, based on the body style you have. Those are pretty close usually

The trick is to see where that sound activator will wind up on the back of your guitar. Do definitely try the test fittings before securing the x brace so you know.

a roll of blue low tack painters tape is fine to use to attache the amp to the guitar for testing where the brace should go.

You want to make sure that that little cup where the activator is, doesn't wind up on a cross brace. The magnet fitting has quite a bit of wiggle room, and once it's attached, it won't fall off.

The double sided tape with which you secure the x brace inside the guitar is pretty fail proof, at least for me so far.

I love mine, and when I've played guitar with the amp attached, it really does raise eye brows. "Wait,, how are you getting that sound???" A few guys ordered theirs like the day after they heard it in person.

You'll probably really like it.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
yes, it's all quite simply handled once you get the gist of tings.

Like most people, the only settings that you'll probably find the most use full are the reverbs and the delay settings.

just as an fyi..

When installing the x-brace in the gutiar, there are a few tips that Tonewood will provide, based on the body style you have. Those are pretty close usually

The trick is to see where that sound activator will wind up on the back of your guitar. Do definitely try the test fittings before securing the x brace so you know.

a roll of blue low tack painters tape is fine to use to attache the amp to the guitar for testing where the brace should go.

You want to make sure that that little cup where the activator is, doesn't wind up on a cross brace. The magnet fitting has quite a bit of wiggle room, and once it's attached, it won't fall off.

The double sided tape with which you secure the x brace inside the guitar is pretty fail proof, at least for me so far.

I love mine, and when I've played guitar with the amp attached, it really does raise eye brows. "Wait,, how are you getting that sound???" A few guys ordered theirs like the day after they heard it in person.

You'll probably really like it.
Thanks for the tips. I can’t wait to get one! Do they come with extra mounts or do you have to order those separately? Also, does it get in the way at all while playing? How would it hold up to percussive style? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I can’t wait to get one! Do they come with extra mounts or do you have to order those separately? Also, does it get in the way at all while playing? How would it hold up to percussive style? Sorry for all the questions.
I have one and I swap it between several guitars. Rather than buy their x braces I simply bought a few strong circular magnets, those rare earth type ones.I find the best place for the unit, as described above, then simply mount two magnets in the guitar with double sided sticky tape. Much less intrusive than the x brace thing.
Nick
Old 03-11-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv6 View Post
I have one and I swap it between several guitars. Rather than buy their x braces I simply bought a few strong circular magnets, those rare earth type ones.I find the best place for the unit, as described above, then simply mount two magnets in the guitar with double sided sticky tape. Much less intrusive than the x brace thing.
Nick
That’s a good idea.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification