The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-12-2024, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

It's an Iris (looking back at a person's recent posts is something we can do on here).
I understand the headstock is polarizing for some but Adam had a vision and it's working for him. Every month more stores are carrying the line and the wait to have one made in the shop is in the 9-12 months range. I really didn't think too much about the headstock when the brand came out because there wasn't an Iris model I really wanted ...until the ND-200 showed up. I got over the headstock issue pretty quickly once I heard that guitar. Mine showed up here in November and hasn't been back in the case since.

But if it really bothers you, an Iris can now be ordered with a modified headstock logo (just the star thing on top and nothing else).
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-12-2024, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Nope. I couldn’t do it. That headstock shape is ridiculous.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartamis View Post
The moral of the story, when you don't like the looks of a guitar you don't play it, that way you are guaranteed not to be torn between buying it and not buying it. I don't like the overly pronounced runout and when I see it I don't play it for fear of liking the sound and playability.
My best guitar has runout, but luckily I actually like it.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
It's an Iris (looking back at a person's recent posts is something we can do on here).
I understand the headstock is polarizing for some but Adam had a vision and it's working for him. Every month more stores are carrying the line and the wait to have one made in the shop is in the 9-12 months range. I really didn't think too much about the headstock when the brand came out because there wasn't an Iris model I really wanted ...until the ND-200 showed up. I got over the headstock issue pretty quickly once I heard that guitar. Mine showed up here in November and hasn't been back in the case since.

But if it really bothers you, an Iris can now be ordered with a modified headstock logo (just the star thing on top and nothing else).
Not on Iris. You must’ve missed the post where I revealed the maker: Dean.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acgprf View Post
I thought the OP might be talking about a PRS or D'Angelico, but that Dean headstock sure is one of a kind.

I bought an Anderson electric a couple of years ago. To me the headstock looks like someone sticking their toe into a sock. I don't like it, and I don't love the finish, but wow I love to play that guitar. I sold my other two electrics since they were just sitting in their cases.

I still wish the guitar looked better, but I'm very glad I bought it anyway.
The Anderson headstock doesn’t bother me, but the ones from Suhr and Friedman are almost deal-breaker ugly to my eye. Cool guitars otherwise.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

The original question was would I buy a guitar from a brand that I dislike. Yes, I would and have. I don’t really like Taylors for whatever reasons, but I’ve owned two and liked them well enough.

To me an ugly headstock or other aesthetic choice is one thing, but disliking a builder altogether is another. I never liked Seagull’s headstock but I like the Godin brands and love that they’re made in Canada.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:31 AM

This would be a very easy choice for me - buy the guitar. How much time do you spend looking at the headstock vs how much time listening to the guitar?

But if you're going to spend a portion of every day looking at the headstock and throwing up a little in your mouth find a different guitar.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-12-2024, 06:51 AM

As was said, there are lots of fish in the sea. Never buy a guitar where your going in view is "I hate this part of the guitar, but I think I'll eventually get over that". Maybe, but there's at least as good a chance that the ugly headstock becomes the main thing you notice every time you open the case or see it hanging on the wall.

And this got me thinking about (for my tastes) who makes particularly ugly headstocks? We don't need to mention names here, but their initials are "PRS"...
Old 03-12-2024, 07:29 AM

I've never even heard of Dean guitars somehow. The headstocks on those guitars aren't as bad as I thought they would be. I've seen way worse.

Buy it.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

I bet it's a Blueridge. They made some pretty fugly headstocks but if I really liked its sound and how it plays I'd buy it knowing looks ain't everything.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
I bet it's a Blueridge. They made some pretty fugly headstocks but if I really liked its sound and how it plays I'd buy it knowing looks ain't everything.
Really? I’ll take that bet, and say it’s not a Blueridge. 🤣
Old 03-12-2024, 08:17 AM

If the headstock has always bothered you, it will bother you again at a later stage no matter how good it sounds and plays. Skip it, there's an ocean of other lovely guitars out there...
Old 03-12-2024, 08:26 AM

Aesthetics are important to me, so I would pass. My advice would be to hunt for a guitar that you love the aesthetics and tone of and enjoy the hunt until you find it.
Gibson Murphy Lab Hummingbird
Furch Little Jane
Old 03-12-2024, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarhog View Post
Really? I’ll take that bet, and say it’s not a Blueridge. 🤣
Some folks need to read the thread! It’s a Dean.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:05 AM

Would You Buy A Guitar You Love From A Brand You Don't

Just as there are brands I dislike even though I like their headstocks, I don't necessarily dislike the brands that make the ones I don't.

But I wouldn't buy a guitar from either.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion