The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I'm intentionally withholding my opinion. I saw the video and thought it would be a great discussion topic. For instance, I have some musician friends who suggested I try looping. For some reason I have an aversion to the idea, and cannot make the jump. That's what prompted the thread title. I thought "wow, if this is the future of guitar playing, I'm no longer qualified."
Ah that's a little clearer as to title You might have put the 'I'm" in the title to have been more clear.
While understandably it is not everyones cup of tea and stating so is great
But the dismissive comments are most likely from ignorance of how difficult seamless multi looping actually is. I have a looper for practice purposes and "trust me" just getting one chord progression to play seamlessly is hard

The comments that the electronics do it for you, are sheer nonsense.

Now in all honestly for me it is too long But even stoned in the 60's I did not care for the long rambling jams of the Dead.

Someone mistakenly stated the electronics were all Korg in fact there are multiple brands of FX but the main Looper is a Boss Loop Station

And if you want to hear/see some pretty impressive looping google Boss loop station world championships

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-14-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I have to respectfully disagree.
At least we're both able to respectfully disagree with each other. Makes it easier to agree on other things in the future.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-14-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I have some musician friends who suggested I try looping. For some reason I have an aversion to the idea, and cannot make the jump. That's what prompted the thread title. I thought "wow, if this is the future of guitar playing, I'm no longer qualified."
That just goes to show that I mistook your title and can understand the sentiment.
Having been under-utilizing technology for the past couple of decades and letting the focus be on the live part of the act, seeing videos like that don't bother me at all, especially when I have audiences say how much they appreciate the naked music without a whole bunch of stuff going on from machinery they can't even see.

I've actually embraced more and more having emphasis on the fact that everything they're hearing is live. I sing out in the room with people all the time and do lots of acapella sections in songs, especially at the beginning and I think that it's a common disease throughout the history of man, to think of more=better. My thoughts are that better=better and that it's best not to even think about more/less but rather just let the music and present audience dictate which way to go, rather than just blindly showing off or whatever one might call it.

My suspicion is that your strong presence here in the forum suggests that I'd get a lot more enjoyment out of your loop-free performance than I'll ever get out of a more=better looping performer.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
That just goes to show that I mistook your title and can understand the sentiment.

Having been under-utilizing technology for the past couple of decades and letting the focus be on the live part of the act, seeing videos like that don't bother me at all, especially when I have audiences say how much they appreciate the naked music without a whole bunch of stuff going on from machinery they can't even see.

I've actually embraced more and more having emphasis on the fact that everything they're hearing is live. I sing out in the room with people all the time and do lots of acapella sections in songs, especially at the beginning and I think that it's a common disease throughout the history of man, to think of more=better. My thoughts are that better=better and that it's best not to even think about more/less but rather just let the music and present audience dictate which way to go, rather than just blindly showing off or whatever one might call it.

My suspicion is that your strong presence here in the forum suggests that I'd get a lot more enjoyment out of your loop-free performance than I'll ever get out of a more=better looping performer.

Thanks for the kind words. There are certainly more talented performers than I. But, I do my best to make each song memorable. And, I'm always thankful for the audience. My song is a gift to them, and their attention is an even greater gift in return.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I'm intentionally withholding my opinion. I saw the video and thought it would be a great discussion topic. For instance, I have some musician friends who suggested I try looping. For some reason I have an aversion to the idea, and cannot make the jump. That's what prompted the thread title. I thought "wow, if this is the future of guitar playing, I'm no longer qualified."
This is a nice piece by Gordon Giltrap using that technique - Dodo's Dream. Bear in mind he's a lot older and more experienced than Tash.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aeQ8D_IW20

Last edited by stringjunky; 08-14-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. There are certainly more talented performers than I. But, I do my best to make each song memorable. And, I'm always thankful for the audience. My song is a gift to them, and their attention is an even greater gift in return.
No problem.

I just assume through the things you write here that you're one of the guys who really cares about the music, which less and less performers do any more. I prefer musicians who play for the music and I'm sure your audiences appreciate it too.

I'm going to go ahead and leave the thread. It was a bit interesting to look/listen but it's pretty much down to those who like what this gal is doing, and those who don't. Talented to be sure, but raw talent alone doesn't necessarily make for an enjoyable performance.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Tash Sultana

Gonna revive this thread with this live show in Boston 2017. I'm really digging her stuff. Ok, not acoustic but lots of respect for her overall talent. Acoustic at 143. Jungle at 131, other nice vocals at 55, 107.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF1K1OicYhs
Old 03-17-2018, 08:51 AM

I would enjoy here live for about 30 minutes.
I'm the same guy who has seen Phil Keaggy live a few times and I soon get fatigued with his looper and effects.
Phil is so talented with a guitar and vocals, it is distracting when he does that effects thing ad nauseam.
As for her "tats", I couldn't care less.
I wouldn't have them, but it's her body and not mine.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion