The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-17-2020, 04:13 PM

Here’s a vote for Rodgers tuners with the low pips, much sleeker looking and more modern as a result. It doesn’t get better than a Claxton with Rodgers. You’ll have to retire the hunt!
Old 03-18-2020, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

This is such an elegant guitar and thank you so much for your service.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Smile Claxton

Your Claxton Malabar is looking awesome so far. I can't wait to see the finished guitar.

The Malabar seems like such a perfectly proportioned guitar. I have heard nothing but good things about Ed's guitars, and I can't wait to play Colin's new (to him) Malabar when he picks it up from Luthier's Collection.

Please post a photo of the Rodgers tuners when you get them.

Thanks for posting the Claxton build thread. They are too rare.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 03-18-2020, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Boy that maple with the binding and the dark mosaic rosette is just killer. I was so close to buying a a Claxton that was at Dream guitars a few years back but the saddle spacing was listed incorrectly on the website and I was glad that it was measured before it was shipped to me. Custom is the way to go. This sure looks magical. I’m sure it’ll sound magical as well.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:07 AM

Thanks for the messages, they are much appreciated!

The tuners will be shipped directly to Ed, but I'll try to get him to take a photo.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:14 PM

I was fascinated by the neck joint and asked for a close-up photo, which Ed kindly sent me. Many luthiers and players seem to be indifferent about the type of the joint, but Ed believes the traditional dovetail to be the best. I'm not qualified to state strong opinions, but somehow feel very happy about this:

Old 03-19-2020, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjanne View Post
. I'm not qualified to state strong opinions, but somehow feel very happy about this:]
In my experience, whatever my chosen builder believes, I believe.

Steve
Old 03-22-2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
In my experience, whatever my chosen builder believes, I believe.

Steve
This sounds very wise to me.

Fretboard binding in progress. I find the old rosewood extremely beautiful.

Detail:

Old 03-22-2020, 02:55 AM
Charter Member

..what a wonderful colour and structure in that wood !
Radiates warmth. Very good choice to match the rest ofthis guitar imo.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:50 AM

Most beautiful fretboard ever
Old 03-22-2020, 08:05 AM

Thanks, guys. It’s funny that I didn’t think about the fretboard much at all in the planning stage, and now I think it will be one of my favorite aspects of the guitar. Initially we agreed on an ebony fingerboard, but Ed happened to find this old piece of rosewood in his wood stash afterwards, and offered to use it on my guitar. Another lucky coincidence in a chain of unlikely events!
Old 03-22-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjanne View Post
I was fascinated by the neck joint and asked for a close-up photo, which Ed kindly sent me. Many luthiers and players seem to be indifferent about the type of the joint, but Ed believes the traditional dovetail to be the best. I'm not qualified to state strong opinions, but somehow feel very happy about this:

That is super clean work!
Old 03-23-2020, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

This one is coming along very nicely! Beautiful fretboard, indeed. Thanks for the update and keep the pictures coming!
Old 03-23-2020, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

You are in for a treat. Ed makes the nicest sounding Maple guitars I have heard.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:14 PM

Default The story continues

Ed started working on another project while waiting for the tuners, but has found time to work on my guitar as well because of the lockdown in California. Rob from Rodgers was kind to send the bushings for the tuner rollers in advance, so that Ed can finish the headstock before the tuners arrive. With most slotted headstock tuners the rollers are in direct contact with the headstock wood, which can lead to the roller digging into the wood over time, thus causing imprecise action and premature wear. Rodgers supply their tuners with bushes made of Delrin, a highly wear-resistant synthetic material (polyoxymethylene). They should ensure smooth tuner action for a long time.

The guitar will quite soon be ready for finishing. The finish type is yet to be decided. Ed prefers non-lacquered finishes because of their more natural look and feel. He has made fabulous looking spirit varnish tops, and has now been experimenting with a new type of finish that I've yet to learn the specifics about.

I have loved the idea of an organic-looking and feeling finish from the beginning, and that feeling has grown stronger with every building photo I've seen. I'd like a finish that compliments the wood's natural beauty and doesn't feel plasticky to the touch. High gloss is not needed. Protection from harsh conditions isn't a priority, since this will not be a guitar for bar gigs and boozy gatherings -- I've got a polyurethane finished guitar for that.

Here are some new pics.

Gluing the headstock overlays:

Rough peghead:

Carving the neck. I'm thinking of printing and framing this. It illustrates the wonderful handiwork that can be seen and heard, hopefully for many decades to come, in all the music that will be played on this beautiful instrument!

The top after initial cleanup. Still some prepping to do before it's ready for the finish. I find the grain and silking mesmerizing. Also, I'm glad to learn that the guitar is protected from nasty viruses...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
claxton, custom build, malabar, maple