The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-15-2015, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Awesome!

Anyone in DC can take a look at the guitars Howard has built for me. You may want to commission a Klepper if you do this however...
Old 10-15-2015, 07:06 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

WOW!! That purfling and the strip down the back are just absolutely GORGEOUS!! Love this.

Thanks for sharing it!!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 10-16-2015, 02:51 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

So you might think I'm crazy, but I've had EB aluminum bronze on my old Martin for about a year now and they really do well with the mahogany Martin sound. It's a $7 experiment, and I highly recommend.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

My wife and kids were out of town for the last few days, and I spent many hours with my Klepper 000-12. I know the topic of 12 frets and 000s comes up all the time, and someone recently asked if a 000-12 could suffice as an all around fingerstyle guitar. My answer to this question is a resounding YES, particularly with the cutaway. Howard has managed to build a guitar with a nice full bass and a rich/full mid and high end. My initial reaction when I first played this guitar at Schoenberg was, "I have found it." I still feel that way. This guitar is sweet in every register.

I have played a number of Kleppers; for those of you considering a commission, I couldn't recommend him more highly.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:40 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I've drooled over this guitar for many web pages. I hope to play it one day. If the house sale falls through and I'm able to come to Santa Barbara then I'll ship my Meridian and Martin and we'll trade guitars.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
My wife and kids were out of town for the last few days, and I spent many hours with my Klepper 000-12. I know the topic of 12 frets and 000s comes up all the time, and someone recently asked if a 000-12 could suffice as an all around fingerstyle guitar. My answer to this question is a resounding YES, particularly with the cutaway. Howard has managed to build a guitar with a nice full bass and a rich/full mid and high end. My initial reaction when I first played this guitar at Schoenberg was, "I have found it." I still feel that way. This guitar is sweet in every register.

I have played a number of Kleppers; for those of you considering a commission, I couldn't recommend him more highly.
Yes, I agree. I, too, have played a number of Howard's fine guitars over the years and have been very impressed. Glad to hear about yours and how much you are enjoying it.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-17-2020, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

I have tried many, many times, but I can never seem to get good sound out of this H4n interface. Always sounds thin and wolfy to me with clipping (even though level indicator says no clipping).

Maybe time for a new interface after 10 years of trying. Here are a couple of clips of the Klepper.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Juston, that was sweet. Thanks for posting. I always admired Howard's work, but never got to have one in my hands.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 07-17-2020, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

Great job Juston. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Good playing, Juston. And great-looking guitar!

As far as sound, what I hear is first of all, a lively room - this is typical of recording in an untreated room, and probably why the sound may be thinner on the recording than the guitar is in person. Mics hear differently than our ears, and room reflections can sound harsh and thin.

Second, the recording seems to be mono. The H4n can record in stereo, which will sound much more open, and might even help reduce some of the room issues. If you are recording in stereo but somehow mixing to mono in the video, that might also explain why the recorded sound isn't what you are hoping for.

And finally, it looks like you're aimed at the 12th fret or so? That's a classic mic position for micing in mono with a single mic, especially for getting a stringy sound, like you might want for a rhythm guitar track. But for fingerstyle, you'll probably be happier if you place the mics (h4 in this case) centered on the guitar above the soundhole, about even with the waist. You'll get a balanced stereo sound and more "wood", less thin string-sound. Alternately, you can go below the soundhole, if you need to keep the recorder out of the way of the video.

Not to digress too much from your guitar discussion, but since you mentioned not being happy with the recorder... Just a few things you might try.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

Smile This one is a beauty

Sounds good Justin!!! I bet Dougs tips are good...

Hard to beat a nice 00012c for all around goodness.

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 07-18-2020, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I have tried many, many times, but I can never seem to get good sound out of this H4n interface. Always sounds thin and wolfy to me with clipping (even though level indicator says no clipping).

Maybe time for a new interface after 10 years of trying. Here are a couple of clips of the Klepper.
Great playing!
Old 07-18-2020, 04:58 AM

Lovely guitar and playing.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 07-18-2020, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Playing is hard enough.... A proper environment, equipment and technical learning curve on recording seem daunting. Thanks for the song demoes Juston (nice playing) and for the recording tips Doug...
Old 07-18-2020, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Thanks guys. Great tips, Doug. I still would love to get together post-apocalypse and go through the finer points of recording. Maybe you can show me the finer points of playing, too! In the meantime, I’ll try moving to my living room and placing the mics closer to the sound hole (it was recorded in stereo).

The Klepper is a fantastic guitar. It’s a shame we don’t get to see his builds anymore. I keep holding out hope he’ll start again, but it’s looking doubtful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop