The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 02:47 AM
Charter Member

If you want a Rosewood body guitar, then congrats! You're getting a Furch, since it's the only Rosewood guitar on the list. Likewise, the Martin has a Mahogany top, which is going to have a completely different voice than the Spruce tops. So, if you'd prefer an all-hog guitar, congrats! You're getting a Martin.

As for the Eastman guitars, you'd have to ask yourself if the aesthetics are worth the $200-400 price difference, since the tonewood components are identical otherwise. Also, the E10OM is new, while I'm assuming the LTD is used, based on the photo background. New guitars will depreciate as soon as you take them home, while used guitars should already be discounted, so make sure you're not over-paying for the used one.

I would recommend giving Ted a call at LA Guitar Sales (since two of the four are from his shop). I've purchased many guitars from him, including a new one yesterday, and one of the reasons I return to him is b/c he will talk through my purchase with me, so I can buy with confidence. Call him, and I'm sure he will help you make a decision that fits your needs and playing style.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:57 AM

Those are three great but very different choices.

I would imagine the eastman to be pretty bright sounding with adi and mahogany. The martin to be very midrange dominant and the furch will be fairly dark sounding especially with its deep body.

I have owned several furches and they are outstanding instruments. Quality wise the furch will be as good as a custom shop martin IMO.

The only reason I let all my furch go is that I found the slightly longer scale a bit awkward, so that is definately something to be aware of. However this could be a benefit if you use a lot of alternate tunings.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 04-01-2020, 05:37 AM

Can’t forget about the voicing process that is applied to each individual top of each individual guitar for Furch. You are not like likely to get a bad one with Furch.

Of the 3 I believe you will get the highest build quality with the Furch as well. I’ve never seen an Eastman in person, but I have seen many a Martin. There is without a doubt a wide range of quality out there in the finishing attention to detail on Martins. Especially on non-custom shop.

Furch is known for having a consistent high build quality.

I wish you well. It’s true, these are very different guitars. Makes comparing them a bit difficult. As was suggested, it really comes down to what you are looking for. I’m typically a rosewood kinda guy so that makes me a bit biased too.

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-01-2020, 06:41 AM

Furch is probably the best bang for the buck in your list. My OM34sr cured me of longing for a Martin; it is easily in the same class as any equivalent US made model.

We own three Furch guitars at home now. My wife starred it off with her OM23sf (spruce/flame maple) which then promoted me to pull the trigger on my OM34sr (spruce rosewood) a couple of years ago and then most recently my Green Plus D12-sw (spruce walnut). All of them are exquisitely made instruments and a joy to play.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-01-2020, 07:41 AM

Furch would be my pick from these, then the limited Eastman. The Furch is more comparable to a 40 series Eastman IMO and similarly priced as well.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 04-01-2020, 07:52 AM

I have owned 4 Eastmans and no longer own any. As Jklotz said, even the ones with 1.75" specs are often narrower -or used to be, it may have been corrected by now. Out of the 4, two were dogs and 2 were very good.

I like Hog tops, but they definitely have a different vibe. If you have played several of them, then you know - if you haven't - they may or may not be right for you. They have a distinctive voice and not everybody likes hog-tops.

Never played a Furch - beyond my means.

Buying several and returning what you don't like is a good idea in theory, but I have seen it backfire on more than one person. Really, really know the stores return policy. My .02

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-01-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I have owned 4 Eastmans and no longer own any. As Jklotz said, even the ones with 1.75" specs are often narrower -or used to be, it may have been corrected by now. Out of the 4, two were dogs and 2 were very good.

I like Hog tops, but they definitely have a different vibe. If you have played several of them, then you know - if you haven't - they may or may not be right for you. They have a distinctive voice and not everybody likes hog-tops.

Never played a Furch - beyond my means.

Buying several and returning what you don't like is a good idea in theory, but I have seen it backfire on more than one person. Really, really know the stores return policy. My .02
Thanks for the feedback. Exactly, I am just very leery of buying multiple. I do check all return policies, but as we all know, some companies are shady and won't honor return policies as stated. If I do that, I'll be sure to buy with my credit card as I'm protected from crap like that.

As for the hog top, I do like the warmth and mellowness (is that a word lol). I mainly play fingerstyle, arpeggios, and light strumming so I don't need a ton of projection that a spruce top would provide.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Killer quality. Not just your standard wooden case there. Explicit environment control properties that you will not find on a standard case. I like that idea up here in Canada.

I have a Furch coming myself. Certainly not the primary reason I bought the guitar, but the case was a factor in the final decision, value for money, etc.

I love the look of the Furch you are looking at there. Something about it. It has a really nice simple vibe to it, and the wood selections on that thing look pretty top shelf to me.

Furch makes incredible guitars.
Very nice, you have a red furch on the way. Wow, I'll bet you're going to love that.

I too really dig the look of this Furch I'm considering. I'm pretty sure the top is AAA sitka, and the back is AAA rosewood. Wifey is not too keen on me spending nearly $2K. I really want the Furch though. Like you said too, that case is top notch.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.loseth View Post
There’s a lot of Eastman fans here, sounds like they're a really good guitar.
The Furch is the nicest looking to my eyes, would probably have a fuller sound with that deeper body. The Martin will sound different than the others more so because of the hog top I suppose.
For myself, I’d probably not get those and get a Larrivee instead as they’re usually priced similar to Eastman but are in my opinion are better use of the money, but that’s because I love all the Larrivee guitars I’ve played.
But that’s not one of your options, if the money is no issue I’d personally be tempted with that Furch firstly, then the Martin second because that’s a proven solid guitar by most people’s experience, and, well it’s a Martin!
Thanks for the input. I too have played several Larrivees and I really liked them. I hate their headstock though. I know that's a dumb reason not to like a guitar. I may look at some Larrivees again though. I about bought a OM-40 hog b/s at the store a few months back. Really nice guitar, but I wanted a gloss finish.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:46 AM

I’d go for the Martin honestly. I have a lot of experience with Furch, and while they’re nice guitars, they’re very heavily built. They also will not retain value very well.
Seagull S6 GT
Old 04-01-2020, 09:39 AM

I owned a LA custom Martin OM-15 for several years and it was a great guitar. I would not have sold if not for a cash crunch I needed to get through. Can't speak for the others, but I know the Martin is wowsa. good luck.
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 04-01-2020, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I have owned 4 Eastmans and no longer own any. As Jklotz said, even the ones with 1.75" specs are often narrower -or used to be, it may have been corrected by now...
They resolved that issue several years ago. I own a dozen Eastman guitars (all 2016 or newer), and every one of them is spot-on to their specs. OP shouldn't have any concerns.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SasquatchLife View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Exactly, I am just very leery of buying multiple. I do check all return policies, but as we all know, some companies are shady and won't honor return policies as stated. If I do that, I'll be sure to buy with my credit card as I'm protected from crap like that.

As for the hog top, I do like the warmth and mellowness (is that a word lol). I mainly play fingerstyle, arpeggios, and light strumming so I don't need a ton of projection that a spruce top would provide.
Given this - I believe that you should consider the merits of a Cedar topped guitar as well. Typically, they are more responsive to a lighter touch than Spruce but also provide a warmer tone as well - kind of 1/2 way between Spruce & Hog in the warmth & tone department. Mahogany does better with a heavy r hand strumming than Cedar, but it doesn't sound like that's the way you play.

Just a thought.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-01-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaylor58 View Post
I owned a LA custom Martin OM-15 for several years and it was a great guitar. I would not have sold if not for a cash crunch I needed to get through. Can't speak for the others, but I know the Martin is wowsa. good luck.
Very nice. Was it the same all hog too? I assume so...
Old 04-01-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexsblues View Post
I’d go for the Martin honestly. I have a lot of experience with Furch, and while they’re nice guitars, they’re very heavily built. They also will not retain value very well.
Thanks for the input.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion