The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2020, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Default Can anybody speak to the profile of Eastman necks?

I'm interested in getting a small (OM/OO), short scale guitar and was intrigued by the Eastmans, particularly the E1OM which has a 1.75 inch neck.

I know that Eastmans are hand carved so it is likely that no two necks are alike but I'm wondering if somebody could compare the neck profile to say something like Taylor's standard neck on their standard 1.75 inch neck guitars, something like, say, a Taylor 314.

Eastman's website describes their necks as a Traditional Even "C" but I'm not sure what that means. I love Taylor necks.

Eastman/Taylor owners/players, can you please chime in?

Thanks.

Rob

Last edited by guitar12; 03-28-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:53 AM

Default "

I'm not a Taylor owner so I can't speak to a direct comparison. My Eastman E1D has a very comfortable "C" profile neck (think about a cross section of the neck). Compared to my two Guilds and my Kazuo Yairi, the Eastman is slightly thicker, but the contour is very playable. It is very close to my Yamaha in contour and thickness. The Eastman, a relatively inexpensive guitar, has quickly become my favorite guitar and the one I pick up every day.
Yamaha FGX 720SCA
Rogue resonator
Eastman E1D 2019
Takamine GS330S
Eastman PCH
Old 03-28-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorwampus View Post
I'm not a Taylor owner so I can't speak to a direct comparison. My Eastman E1D has a very comfortable "C" profile neck (think about a cross section of the neck). Compared to my two Guilds and my Kazuo Yairi, the Eastman is slightly thicker, but the contour is very playable. It is very close to my Yamaha in contour and thickness. The Eastman, a relatively inexpensive guitar, has quickly become my favorite guitar and the one I pick up every day.
My E1OM has a thick C shaped neck. Thicker than my Yamaha LS16. As thick as my Takamine P5DC.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:04 AM

Mine is an E20-OM. I'd call it a full C shape. Not full like some vintage necks, but not thin like the martin MLO. Medium maybe? I really like it and find it very comfortable.

In terms of Taylor's necks, I find the thickness pretty close to my 717e, which is a little thicker than the standard profile.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:07 AM

I have owned and played Taylors and I love the neck. I find it very playable! I've never owned an Eastman, as every Eastman I've ever tried (in guitar stores) has a much thicker neck than the Taylors or other guitars that I own. After first trying an Eastman, I told a friend who is a luthier that I felt like I was playing a chunky necked baseball bat. And she said "Really? I love Eastman's and their necks!" And she's a great guitarist. To each their own...

beth
Old 03-28-2020, 11:31 AM

I own a E8OM and I agree with those who say it's a full C (not a medium C).

My Huss & Dalton TOM-M is definitely a medium-C and it's sightly slimmer than the Eastman. I find it pretty comfy to play.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Eastman necks

I have owned several over the last 2-3 years. I really like the neck that comes on guitars with 1.75" nuts. Not so much the slope shoulder models with the smaller 1.69" nut. In addition to the narrower nut, the necks felt thinner to me. I had Taylor 514ce for a bit, and the Eastman E40OM I still have felt a little fuller. My preference is for a little fuller though. If you are looking at a used model (older than 2016/17), if is my understanding that there was a lot of variance in the neck shapes and widths. Not surprisingly since they are handmade. Newer models seem to be very consistent - maybe improved QC on Eastman's part. I definitely would not consider them to be baseball bats. I do have an E10 00 12 fret with a 1 13/16" nut and very chunky neck. It is substantially fuller than my E40.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHC View Post
I own a E8OM and I agree with those who say it's a full C (not a medium C).

My Huss & Dalton TOM-M is definitely a medium-C and it's sightly slimmer than the Eastman. I find it pretty comfy to play.
This is interesting. My TOM-R definitely has a fuller feeling neck than my E20-OM. I guess there tends to be a lot of variance with hand made guitars?
Old 03-28-2020, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Mine is an E20-OM. I'd call it a full C shape. Not full like some vintage necks, but not thin like the martin MLO. Medium maybe? I really like it and find it very comfortable...
Same here.
My Eastman E20-OM feels like my Martin D-35.
But my Eastman E20-P parlor is wider and feels completely different.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:05 PM

I recently owned an Eastman E1OM and it is a full C as others have mentioned. I find them comfortable.

Also, many Eastman nut widths are not a true 1.75" at the nut. They can vary anywhere between 1-11/16" to 1.75". It may not make a difference for you but it did make enough of a difference that I no longer own the guitar. I sold another Eastman with the same issue.

Now, I make sure to ask the seller to measure the nut for me before I either make the drive to check out an Eastman or made a bid online.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beans View Post
Also, many Eastman nut widths are not a true 1.75" at the nut. They can vary anywhere between 1-11/16" to 1.75". It may not make a difference for you but it did make enough of a difference that I no longer own the guitar. I sold another Eastman with the same issue.

Now, I make sure to ask the seller to measure the nut for me before I either make the drive to check out an Eastman or made a bid online.
Uh oh, I have an E8D in transit right now and I didn't think to ask if the 1.75 nut is truly 1.75. A primary factor in the purchase. Hmm...
Old 03-28-2020, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuke View Post
Uh oh, I have an E8D in transit right now and I didn't think to ask if the 1.75 nut is truly 1.75. A primary factor in the purchase. Hmm...
In 2019 I played an E8D in the local mom-pop store.
The E8D nut felt like my D-35 (1.69) and my E20-OM (1.75).
I could not measure it, but I liked the E8D nut a lot.
It was much nicer than my E20-P (1.81).
Old 03-28-2020, 06:12 PM

As others have described it I would agree it's a full C shape. Much different than a Taylor or newer Martin neck.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
As others have described it I would agree it's a full C shape. Much different than a Taylor or newer Martin neck.
As the OP I would like to thank everybody for their replies. The two necks that I like the best are the standard Taylor and Martin's MLO (modified low oval) and my gut feel is that an Eastman profile neck on a 1.75" neck probably would not be the best fit for me.

Rob
Old 03-28-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar12 View Post
As the OP I would like to thank everybody for their replies. The two necks that I like the best are the standard Taylor and Martin's MLO (modified low oval) and my gut feel is that an Eastman profile neck on a 1.75" neck probably would not be the best fit for me.

Rob
You may be right. I do recommend playing one if you can though. I find them very comfortable, and they are not fat necks by any means.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion