The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2020, 12:45 PM

Default Hand washing and dry hands

I’ve been washing my hands so much I can’t seem to hold the pick as well as I used to... I have to slather on hand lotion and wait an hour to play.. Anyone have any alternatives?
Old 03-27-2020, 12:50 PM

My only alternative is don’t wash your hands but that’s not a good idea either is it. I actually have been experiencing the same thing now you mention it.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 03-27-2020, 12:57 PM

Just don't touch your face and wash after you are done playing.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:44 PM

Charmed Life nt-1.15. It has the holes drilled in it that increase grip. Or try one of the sculpted Primetone picks.

Whatever you do, keep washing those hands.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Just don't touch your face and wash after you are done playing.
This advice about not touching your face is all well add good but not if you have a silly moustache!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monkeys_think_0.jpg (15.1 KB, 328 views)
Old 03-27-2020, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
This advice about not touching your face is all well add good but not if you have a silly moustache!
I must, say, my friend, you strike a dashing pose.
David
Old 03-27-2020, 02:20 PM

Using lotion to keep your hands from turning into sandpaper is great - but I had a doctor once tell me that your skin needs to be hydrated from without and within. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids (HYDRATING fluids - i.e., you can't survive on coffee and beer - believe me, I tried) - it helps your organs, your skin (which I guess is an organ, technically), and it helps your overall immune system and health.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrbriggs View Post
Using lotion to keep your hands from turning into sandpaper is great - but I had a doctor once tell me that your skin needs to be hydrated from without and within. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids (HYDRATING fluids - i.e., you can't survive on coffee and beer - believe me, I tried) - it helps your organs, your skin (which I guess is an organ, technically), and it helps your overall immune system and health.

Yup.. I’ve always drunk tons of water.. seems like I have worn a path on the tile to the bathroom..
Old 03-27-2020, 02:52 PM

I have the same issue--in fact my hands get pretty dry normally. I've punched a hole in two of the picks I use with a three hole punch. It's a pretty good, if not perfect, solution.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

These days with all the handwashing, I sleep in short cotton gloves. Maybe you can still get them on Amazon. Before I go to bed I put heavy lotion on my hands, lip balm around my nails, and an oil on my nails. Then I put on the gloves and go to sleep. There have been threads on this forum asking what people use for very dry hands. Lots of good answers. Link here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...y+winter+hands
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

Last edited by KarenB; 03-27-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:13 PM

I have dry skin. I have to use Eucerin creme on them after each wash or they crack. I had a bag of rosin from when I rode bulls. The tiniest amount of rosin is all I need to get a good grip on a pick. If that doesn’t work then something called Gorilla Snot definitely makes it stick. I can flick my fingers with my hand open and the pick stays on. I love it because it means my hand can be super relaxed when playing.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:09 PM

I have discovered that Udderly Smooth hand cream works real well for me. Originally made for dairy farmers to use on their cows but it was discovered by farmers that it works well on dry chapped hands. Rub it in and it disappears nicely, without feeling greasy afterwards. I've seen no change in the finish on my guitars but test that out for yourself!
I am also a proponent of Dava picks. I use the Rock Control Delrin picks. I used to drop my picks a lot, I'd be strumming and it would just fly out of my fingers. Since I switched to Dava picks, I just about never drop my pick or lose control of it, no matter how dry my hands are.
https://www.davapick.com/
https://www.davapick.com/picks/rock_control
Old 03-27-2020, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I've always had dry hands - not problematic, just not sweaty, or whatever. Since my cancer treatment in 2017, I have little/no saliva so I have to drink all the time, water, orange mixed with water, and thank goodness, tea!

I was warned that I might never enjoy beer or wine again, but I can enjoy the odd glass, but too much dries my throat. The hospital gave me great big dispensers of moisturising cream, which I now have to use daily in my face, neck, arms and legs - boring! but I can't stand it on my hands so wash it off.

I mainly use Blue chips, but I cut cross hatching on them with a Stanley knife to give a "tad" more grip.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 03-27-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logdy View Post
I’ve been washing my hands so much....
Are you getting all of the (potential) virus off your hands? This very short video shows how to make sure....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-27-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
I had a bag of rosin from when I rode bulls.
Larivee OM-40
Guild D-125 12 NAT
Yamaha CSF3M TBS
USA Stratocaster
Gibson les Paul Junior
Custom built Thinline Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion