The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_F View Post
In person it is obvious it was made like that. The whole finish is scuffed to make the matte finish. If you look closely you can see a little dot in the indentation that is not matte finish because whatever they use to matte the finish didn't get in there. Plus, its obvious someone tried to sand it out or something and it has some extra material taken off that isn't off the other side. Someone saw it and still let it go.

Martin
You should have seen the condition my RainSong came in. It was crazy bad. The guitar had to be replaced. It's amazing what some of these manufacturers will try to push through some times.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-26-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
You should have seen the condition my RainSong came in. It was crazy bad. The guitar had to be replaced. It's amazing what some of these manufacturers will try to push through some times.
I would have sent it back too if it wasn't good. I don't buy guitars very often. When I do buy, I just want whatever I want to be in the condition I would expect. If I saw a blemish in the store, I could make a choice and either live with it or move on. In this case, it came in the mail.

Hopefullo L&M will get back to me tomorrow and we can discuss it. If they do get another one for me, I will just let them ship to the store and I can go exchange.

I'm not sure what is happening with this virus though. I don't want anyone to feel any sort of danger from me returning a guitar. Tough times! I know that I am not sick. They don't know that.

Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 03-26-2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I would have sent it back too if it wasn't good. I don't buy guitars very often. When I do buy, I just want whatever I want to be in the condition I would expect. If I saw a blemish in the store, I could make a choice and either live with it or move on. In this case, it came in the mail.

Hopefullo L&M will get back to me tomorrow and we can discuss it. If they do get another one for me, I will just let them ship to the store and I can go exchange.

I'm not sure what is happening with this virus though. I don't want anyone to feel any sort of danger from me returning a guitar. Tough times! I know that I am not sick. They don't know that.

Martin
As I said in my thread there for my LL56, even before they were mandated to shutdown, their stores were not open to the public. They were only answering phones and passing order fulfillments through a minimally cracked open door. There will be nothing happening for minimum 2 weeks. You might be better off having them ship another? Not sure.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-26-2020, 11:29 PM

With the way things are going it would not surprise me if this went on longer than 2 weeks for these businesses. If that is the case, having them shipping you a replacement will start to look even more attractive. I just wonder if they will have one to send you.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-26-2020, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

I’ve seen blemishes on a couple of these FYI.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
As I said in my thread there for my LL56, even before they were mandated to shutdown, their stores were not open to the public. They were only answering phones and passing order fulfillments through a minimally cracked open door. There will be nothing happening for minimum 2 weeks. You might be better off having them ship another? Not sure.
My email to them was more about my options and what they can do for me. I asked three questions: can you get another one? If I wanted to keep this, is there a discount because it's blemished, and if I just decide to return it because those options don't work, can I get all my money back without them trying to ding me for shipping (which is in the small print on their site about returns with free shipping)?

When they come back to me, I will let you know! I know Long and McQuade are pretty good about things. They might have been taking it up with Yamaha and just responding to me when they heard what they had to say.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Did the images show up for you? hahaha. They don't seem to work for me. I just moved them to imgur and they still aren't working. Hmmm..

Thank you!

Martin
They show up fine.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Really? That is surprising for Yamaha. Their QC is usually very high. The wood they use is amazing in comparison to many other makers.

Martin
Old 03-26-2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I’ve had my hands on 2 FG5s and an FG3. They were flawless. As were all the cheaper ones I’ve handled.

Were the blemishes you are talking about really significant, or just small stuff? Just curious.

Be safe in a New York my friend. Tough times around there for sure.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-27-2020, 02:19 AM

I agree that although not too bad, that blemish should probably have been caught in QC and/or qualify for a minor discount.

That said, personally I would not let that stop me from keeping a guitar that I really liked the sound/playability of. Although Yamahas are known for consistency, I would still put a lot of weight on the fact that you have had the opportunity to try this particular guitar out and found that you liked it.

I would hope for a small discount and be happy with a good sounding/playing guitar - but I am also the kind of guy who would put a small ding in it myself within the first month - and live with it.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

It's obviously bothering you. Were the blemish just a product of the wood itself (a small whorl in the grain, a bit of darkness in the wood...) then I'd accept it, but that defect is manmade and you paid extra for Japanese workmanship and attention to quality. Send it back with a clear conscience and get another - you'll be happy you did.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 03-27-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Here is another image of the blemish. It's hard to capture in a photo because the finish around it is matte and it doesn't show up in the light so much.

Martin
I’m sure it’s absolutely nothing, and that it’s just some sort of silly artifact in the photo, but what is that light coloured line I see where the neck starts to bend and head towards the headstock? In person I’m sure it’s nothing. Just wanted to bring it to your attention in case it might be some sort of hairline crack or something.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-27-2020, 06:32 AM

At the end of the day it is just a matter of your personal opinion. Trust me, I know how things can just eat at you. I got a new sports car about three years ago. Had to put my orange University of Tennessee Power T at the top of the back window as soon as I got it. Reaching over to make it as perfectly centered and straight as I could on the window (because I am obsessive compulsive) and my elbow unknowingly put a small crease in the roof of the car. I was washing the car afterwards and the sun was hitting it just right and I could see the crease. I was beside myself with grief. I obsessed over it for days. But you know what? I don't think I have noticed it in months. I think we all just pay closer attention to things that are new to us. These things fade with time and it is inevitable there will be more blemishes. Now I have a dent on one side from pulling the vacuum cleaner into it. Another really ugly spot where some Jackwagon shot it with a BB Gun one night while I was driving it. Many chips on the front from road debris. I'd rather none of these be there but I am not bothered anymore. It's old news to me now.

Sometimes it is good to just get the first blemish out of the way and the pain lessons with each one you get afterwards. I bought an FGX5 from a forum member. I got a great deal on it used. There was a tiny scratch on the headstock near the tuning forks logo. There seemed to be a couple of shiny places in the satin finish from where something may have rubbed against it to cause them. But for some reason none of these bothered me at all. But it was used and I got a great deal and the savings far outweighed the blemishes. But since yours is new, I would do my best to get a discount and at least make you feel like you got a deal. The problem is that the guitar is so new to you and you don't want to be away from it because you are excited about it. I am like a kid when it comes to that. But I bet after a few weeks pass you might be kicking yourself and saying to yourself you could have done without it for a few more weeks to have some piece of mind. Or maybe just keep it and down the road it will be old news to you too.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 03-27-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
I’m sure it’s absolutely nothing, and that it’s just some sort of silly artifact in the photo, but what is that light coloured line I see where the neck starts to bend and head towards the headstock? In person I’m sure it’s nothing. Just wanted to bring it to your attention in case it might be some sort of hairline crack or something.
That's just where the wood has been jointed and glued together. The neck is not all one solid piece of wood which is common. But I will say that on my FGX5, mine is pretty seamless and doesn't look like that. The seam on this one does look a little sloppy. If the OP can get over the excitement of the newness of the guitar, he may want to just return it and get the guitar replaced. That is two blemishes in one area on a brand new guitar.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 03-27-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Yea, I noticed that line in the photo too. That is the joint in the wood where the neck meets the heel of the guitar. It's a small line that shows up because the way the finish went on and the two different pieces of wood. It's ok. In person it doesn't really show.

If this were a gloss finish, you probably wouldn't notice that. However, if this were a gloss finish you would definitely notice the other blemish much easier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
It's obviously bothering you. Were the blemish just a product of the wood itself (a small whorl in the grain, a bit of darkness in the wood...) then I'd accept it, but that defect is manmade and you paid extra for Japanese workmanship and attention to quality. Send it back with a clear conscience and get another - you'll be happy you did.
I agree. If it were in the wood, I am ok with that. Wood blemishes are the character of a natural product, within reason of course. I will most likely end up returning this guitar and seeing if they can get me another one. If they can't, I'll think about what I want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
Sometimes it is good to just get the first blemish out of the way and the pain lessons with each one you get afterwards. I bought an FGX5 from a forum member. I got a great deal on it used. There was a tiny scratch on the headstock near the tuning forks logo. There seemed to be a couple of shiny places in the satin finish from where something may have rubbed against it to cause them. But for some reason none of these bothered me at all. But it was used and I got a great deal and the savings far outweighed the blemishes. But since yours is new, I would do my best to get a discount and at least make you feel like you got a deal. The problem is that the guitar is so new to you and you don't want to be away from it because you are excited about it. I am like a kid when it comes to that. But I bet after a few weeks pass you might be kicking yourself and saying to yourself you could have done without it for a few more weeks to have some piece of mind. Or maybe just keep it and down the road it will be old news to you too.
Your story of the car is very true! I agree with you that once you put marks in things there is less stress. I just hate to pay good money and feel like I am settling. It's a beautiful guitar, but I even thought to just get the Martin instead at double the price if it didn't have a blemish! I think we humans have some odd thinking sometimes.

It kinda sucks when your new guitar day was fretting over a blemish!

Martin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion