The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-28-2020, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

I think...not sure, but I think I found what I want. PRS Mira in Wild Mint. I understand that tonally this is pretty different than a Strat with the humbuckers, but the ergonomics sound great from the reviews I've read, it's a made in the USA PRS from the S2 line, it's around a grand, and looks like a great guitar for blues and rock, which is what I'm mostly going to be doing. Kind of an SG updated with what appears to be a pretty fine level of detailing and build quality. Seem to have a really good rep for a not super well known guitar. And it looks SUPER cool to me.

Any reason not to? No tremolo bar, but I'm just getting started and kind of wondered if it might just be in the way for a while. Assume I can replace the bridge with a PRS tremolo setup someday if I want to? Or should I just not worry about it looking as cool as I want it to be and get a used S2 with a tremolo?
Old 03-28-2020, 07:25 PM

I traded in a nicer looking American Professional Strat for my Player Strat. A nicer looking Les Paul Studio for my Les Paul Special. My point is how a guitar looks is very important but if I don’t like the way it sounds or if I find something that sounds better it doesn’t matter if it looks like a Gibson or Fender Custom Shop guitar. I’m not keeping it. Absolutely plug it into your amp or similar amp at the shop before you buy.
2021 Squier Classic Vibe 60’s Telecaster
2018 Fender Player Stratocaster
2018 Gibson Les Paul Special
2022 Epiphone Gold Glory Jared James Nichols
Old 03-28-2020, 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=Dirk Hofman;6331983...should I just not worry about it looking as cool as I want it to be and get a used S2 with a tremolo?[/QUOTE]

It’s no Stratocaster, more of a double cut Les Paul. it sure is pretty. You will look plenty cool playing that minty fresh axe!
Old 03-28-2020, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Well then, you didn't really want a Strat. You're buying by looks not sound.

And no, you can't replace w wrap around bridge w/ a tremolo without routing the body out in the front and back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I think...not sure, but I think I found what I want. PRS Mira in Wild Mint. I understand that tonally this is pretty different than a Strat with the humbuckers, but the ergonomics sound great from the reviews I've read, it's a made in the USA PRS from the S2 line, it's around a grand, and looks like a great guitar for blues and rock, which is what I'm mostly going to be doing. Kind of an SG updated with what appears to be a pretty fine level of detailing and build quality. Seem to have a really good rep for a not super well known guitar. And it looks SUPER cool to me.

Any reason not to? No tremolo bar, but I'm just getting started and kind of wondered if it might just be in the way for a while. Assume I can replace the bridge with a PRS tremolo setup someday if I want to? Or should I just not worry about it looking as cool as I want it to be and get a used S2 with a tremolo?
Old 03-28-2020, 08:11 PM

I don't know about others here, but I find the look of Leo Fender's Stratocaster to be timeless. (And call me shallow but it was high on my list of wanting to own one).
Old 03-28-2020, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Well then, you didn't really want a Strat. You're buying by looks not sound.

And no, you can't replace w wrap around bridge w/ a tremolo without routing the body out in the front and back.
I like the way it looks for sure. My only concern with the Strat was that it was going to err on the side of cleaner than I wanted, where this one seems like it will have more crunch and a more hard rock tone, which seems good to me.

I'd still be happy to have a strat and I still might. It's my first electric, and I'm not really sure what I want, and I can't go play them right now. So I'll sit with this idea for a bit and see if it really is what I want, but this looks like a great quality guitar with the tone and looks I might be after. I don't think caring what it looks like is a bad thing.

Thanks for the heads up on the tremolo, that's helpful!
Old 03-28-2020, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

HBers certainly hit the amp differently. Understand the sound is not just the guitar but the amp that you run it through.

If you are talking a classic tube amp w/ tube preamp and power section w/o the introduction of pedals then the HBer gtr will certainly push the amp harder and it'll be easier to overdrive.

On the other hand if you're talking a SS amp w/ built in effects like so many beginners buy, it makes no difference, you can make any gtr sound dirty. But you can never make a HBer gtr sound like a Strat, no matter what the maker tells you about "modeling".

And nothing wrong about buying by the look, that's what drives the industry.

Quote:
I like the way it looks for sure. My only concern with the Strat was that it was going to err on the side of cleaner than I wanted, where this one seems like it will have more crunch and a more hard rock tone, which seems good to me.

I'd still be happy to have a strat and I still might. It's my first electric, and I'm not really sure what I want, and I can't go play them right now. So I'll sit with this idea for a bit and see if it really is what I want, but this looks like a great quality guitar with the tone and looks I might be after. I don't think caring what it looks like is a bad thing.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:42 PM

The Mira is gonna be almost SGish, which is a totally cool guitar. Quite different from a Strat, but equally as cool. PRS makes killer guitars.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:10 PM

I'm totally biased so excuse me for my two cents, but I think every guitarist should own at least one Stratocaster in their lifetime. (If I could only choose one electric guitar which met all my needs then it would be a Fender Stratocaster).

Not only is it beautiful to look and comfortable to play, it gives you more tonal options than most guitars plus tremolo (vibrato) if you so choose to use.

Off my soapbox and hope you find that special guitar!
Old 03-28-2020, 10:28 PM

If we weren’t living in an odd time of social distancing, I’d be recommending going out to a shop or three and playing as many of the Player and Vintera series Strats and Teles as possible to see what tone, feel, and look you prefer.

If that’s not an option where you live, you may need to just make your best guess and order from a retailer with great selection and return policy.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:46 AM

Quote:
My only concern with the Strat was that it was going to err on the side of cleaner than I wanted, where this one seems like it will have more crunch and a more hard rock tone, which seems good to me.

Its hard to clean up a guitar...much easier to get dirty, crunchy, greasy and grimey by use of pedals and whatnot. Get a sss strat and a Seymour Duncan PickUp Booster to get single coils in to the HB territory. Or just get a set of hot single coils. I had a CarvinDC 135, ssh with the HB tapped, really nice neckthrough player that had some medium hot AP11 pu...point is there a ton of options to be had to meet yer needs.

edit: Another thing...realize a strat scale is different than a PRS scale...just saying.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:59 AM

Dirk - That's a beautiful guitar. Yes, it will definitely have more of an SG vibe than a Strat ... it won't be anything like a Strat. The scale length is 25", which fits between Gibson and Fender. The 10" radius also fits between those two. Now you see the rabbit hole you're in. Everyday there's going to be a different guitar that peaks your interest .

Spend time looking at what's out there and try to match up the tone that you're looking for in your head to what offerings are out there. There's plenty of time for research during these shelter-at-home times. Also exciting to read threads like this.

As far as the tremolo, I'd rather not have one but that's just my playing style.

Quote:

Old 03-29-2020, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Dirk Honestly I think (and I am probably prejudiced ) knowing the quality and thought that goes into PRS guitars, I don't see how you can go wrong with one.
As you note you can always look into a single coil style guitar at any later point.

While I agree with those saying there is no split/coil that is an exact tonal substitute for a 3 single coil style guitar. I do not subscribe to "there is no substitute for a Fender Strat" which IMO is based mostly in the "the sound of my youth" nostalgia, tradition and or simple "brand loyalty". And not really all that different than shopping "by looks". Just my opinion and hopefully others milages will vary

And because of this tonal situation. I am considering as my next electric, a Kiesel Johnny Highland signature. An overall Tele style, but with three single coils and mix of tele and strat switching options

If it makes any difference even though my CE has a press in/out tremolo bar (left out in photo) I now have it mounted but almost never use it. I am guessing in large part do to the ease of bending strings with an electric compared to an acoustic. And would probably not miss it.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-29-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:21 AM

I had to scratch that itch first of owning the various classics like single coil Tele’s and Strats and humbucker SG and Les Pauls before moving into something less iconic like an LP with P90’s or my Tele Deluxe.

I agree with some of the above posters that a Strat is a good base to start then add variety on top of that. A Player Strat with it’s hotter output pick ups esp the HSS model can do sparkling elven choirs singing in the forests of Lorien to orcs jamming in the deepest pits of Moria and everything in between.
2021 Squier Classic Vibe 60’s Telecaster
2018 Fender Player Stratocaster
2018 Gibson Les Paul Special
2022 Epiphone Gold Glory Jared James Nichols
Old 03-29-2020, 08:41 PM

IMO, strats are not an easy introduction to electric guitar, particularly if you're coming from a fingerstyle acoustic guitar. I'd start with short-scale, perhaps a Gibson copy or "shredder" guitar, to see if I like it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars