The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2020, 12:42 AM

Default Wall Mounts

I want to install these in my guitar room. Is it absolutely necessary to screw them into a stud or are there some anchor screws strong enough to hold guitar if they go into the dry wall?

Thank you
CA
1967 Harmony H162
Very Old Classical
Taylor GC8
Taylor 322ce
1981 Alvarez Yairi DY53
1986 Alvarez Yari DY47
1988 Alvarez Yairi DY80 12 String
1992 Alvarez Yari DY91
1992 Alvarez Yairi WY-1K
Larrivée L-03R 12
Old 03-26-2020, 04:25 AM

I have about 20 stringed instruments hanging up in my heated, insulated, humidified basement music room. There aren't enough studs for each hanger, so I took two cedar 1 x 4's and screwed one into each of the long room wall studs using spax screws. I then screwed the hangers into the 1 x 4's. A couple of the instruments are pretty heavy (banjo, carved archtop 26" mandocello) and they are well supported.

I've never been a fan of any of the various types of drywall anchors for supporting anything of value.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow View Post
I want to install these in my guitar room. Is it absolutely necessary to screw them into a stud or are there some anchor screws strong enough to hold guitar if they go into the dry wall?

Thank you
CA
Coolarrow,... honestly man I would not ever trust the dry wall alone to anchor those.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:09 AM

Quote:

Thank you
CA
A stud is clearly ideal. The second plan of installing some kind of stringer that attaches to studs like has been suggested, and then attaching to it could work too...as long as the aesthetic works for you.

Having said this, if I wanted/needed to put a hanger up on a wall without a stud and without a stringer I personally would not be all that concerned as long as I used the right mounting hardware. Buy those type that you drill a hole and mush the mounting hardware through. Once you push through with the hardware a “wing”-type of thing releases/deploys and catches on the back of the drywall. If your mount requires 2 points of contact, even better. It would be even more sturdy. You could check the weight rating for these types of mounts, but they can hold a lot of weight. As long as you use this type of hardware I would not be concerned. If you cheap out and buy the standard fair stuff for hanging pictures, then you’re asking for trouble.

As another option that I probably would have confidence in too: those plastic drywall mounts that you have to screw into the wall with a drill, and then you mount into them with a metal screws. They are surprising stable and have high weight ratings, but I would still use the “wing” type I described above. You’re pretty much physically guaranteed to not have a problem with those.

Having said all this, I don’t hang guitars on walls for a whole multitude of reasons to begin with. I won’t bore you with that. To each their own.

Good luck. Choose wisely. I have read a number of threads around here about falling guitars off of these things. A few tears have been shed.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-26-2020, 05:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

Thank you
CA
Any toggle or screw type drywall fastener can easily, and safely, hold any guitar when installed properly in 1/2" drywall.

A big consideration, of course, is how well the drywall was fastened and the framing that was used. If there are only studs on 24" centers there's possibility of the wallboard 'bowing out' if a 10lb electric guitar is hung on a guitar 'yoke type' hanger.

The further from the surface the weight is suspended, the more leverage it exerts.

If your wall is framed on 16" centers and you use the proper toggle or metallic screw type fastener, you'll never come close to approaching their maximum weight rating.

Here is a really well written article about the different methods, types, tech-specs, etc.

https://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/...infanchor.html
Regards,
Howard Emerson

Last edited by Howard Emerson; 03-26-2020 at 05:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:59 AM

I just went through the process of "decorating" my home office/music room and wanted to hang my Martin and Taylor next to each other. The 16" stud spacing was prohibitive, however, so I decided to separate them on different walls. I just...........didn't want to chance it with the drywall fastener method.
My decoration scheme changed a bit, and it's not what I originally envisioned, but I have full peace of mind knowing those two guitars are hung off studs. I don't lend a second thought to them having an accident.
2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)

Last edited by Guilty Spark; 03-26-2020 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:31 AM

Mine are mounted right into the drywall going 7 years strong now. Ideally a stud would be better but it works in drywall when installed properly. In the last house I lived in I made a decorative beam that spanned the wall left to right and hung the mounts on that.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:47 AM

You never have a wall hanger failure until you have a wall hanger failure.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-26-2020, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

I have a lot of reasonably expensive guitars handing on the wall. I got a 3/4" by 8' board and screwed it across about 5 studs. I then got a bunch of the Hercules wall hangers with the 3 screw holes and screwed those into the board. That was almost 2 years ago and it still feel very sturdy. I personally don't think I would trust a drywall anchor for my guitars, but I'm sure it can be done.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 03-26-2020, 08:13 AM

Were I to hang my Fender CD-60S on the wall, I might be willing to use anchors. My issue with anchors is that I'd need some that are suitable for plaster. For anything more expensive than that Fender, I'd mount the wall hanger to the studs. Unless your guitar room is small, you should have plenty of room to hang all of them from the wall.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

I have 7 on the wall in my music room. I used a MUCH bigger threaded plastic receiver than what came with them. Here in Miami, we have galvanized hollow sections in the walls instead of wood studs.

My hangers just go into the drywall and I only hang acoustics on them. Electrics would be too heavy.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thank you
CA
Hi coolarrow

Perhaps it depends on how much they are worth to you. Hanging an acoustic guitar is not like hanging a picture…it's going to weigh more than most picture frames.

And if you life in earthquake territory, you definitely want a stud and a pad on the wall behind the body.

All of mine are mounted on a wooden plate, and then into studs. It's certainly a personal choice, but what's on the headstock certainly influences my decision…and my choice of hangers.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-26-2020, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Similar to what I bought from Sweetwater:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...per-hanger-oak
It came with screws that either went into a stud, or into special threaded drywall anchors that were included.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Like LJ said: it depends on their worth to you. I still would not go into just drywall, even with a 100lb hanger. The guitar clamps are cantilevered out so a 4lb guitar will prove to be a bit more stress. I have mine with a 3/4” aluminum U-shaped bar into every stud along a 15’ wall. I then have a 1” U bar over that to which 7 locking Hercules hangers are attached, finally I added another 1” L-bracket connected through the 2 U’s to lock it all together to hold my LP’s in my music room. IMG_0527.jpg

Last edited by blindboyjimi; 03-30-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

I hit the studs. 32" apart is just right to hang guitars. Now, let's hope there are no earthquakes in northeastern Florida.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion