The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 03-24-2020, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Superb Stephen Kinnaird SJ

I am selling my wonderful 2007 S Kinnaird SJ bought end last year from a fellow AGF member with a sound reputation for quality and fairness. I am cursed with the affliction of trying to experiment with as many boutique guitars as I can whilst being unable to hold on to them all. This is a stunner but is a shade large for my small mitts! I will give full specs below but I must say that describing the top as simply Bearclaw is a serious injustice. Remember when you sat with a beautiful Sonoma county Chardonnay (yes some of us do still drink them) and you hold it up to the sunshine only to see what the French call 'Les Larmes' snaking down the inside of the glass? Well I'm sure thats what happened when this guitar was built - and these tears just continued on to the Spruce top! Some research tells me that the purchaser got every conceivable upgrade that he could afford. I am not the best player in the world but this guitar can do it all. I mainly do fingerstyle but it can handle everything and more. Is it responsive? Its not going to send you off to the cardiologist with chest palpitations vibrating through like a Froggy but it will crack your Riedel glasses with its penetration and sustain. Add its B-Band pick up and you've got further flexibility. I took it along to Bill Kelday here in Scotland and he gave it the once over and set it up for me beautifully.
It comes in the original TKL case which has one loose latch that I haven't got round to fixing (but I'm not a fan of TKL anyway). Some pick guard swirling and a minute mark on neck caused maybe by capo in the past according to Neil, the previous seller.
Looking for quick sale at less than what I paid. Grab a deal now while the US$ is strong. Looking for 2900 UK pounds or US$ 3400 based on 1.17 exchange rate. If rate weakens then use my 2900pds as base. Shipping cost to buyer. Reference available from previous seller.
Specs:
TOP: spectacular Bearclaw Spruce
B and S" straight grained EIR
FRETBOARD: Ebony
NECK: 5 piece with vintage style 'Dart' volute
ROSETTE AND PURFLING: abalone
BODY and FRETBOARD binding: gorgeous flamed maple
TUNERS: gold schallers
LENGTH: 40 5/8"
BODY: 20"
Upper Bout: 11 1/2"
Lower Bout 15 15/16"
Nut: 1 3/4"
String Space at saddle: 2 7/16".(does that look right guys?)
Pick up: B-Band
Apologies if I have missed anything so don't be too brutal with me.
I'll try some photos now:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SK001.jpg (29.7 KB, 1796 views)
File Type: jpg SK002.jpg (27.8 KB, 1775 views)
File Type: jpg SK008.jpg (27.1 KB, 1760 views)
File Type: jpg SK004.jpg (31.5 KB, 1774 views)
File Type: jpg SK007.jpg (28.1 KB, 1767 views)
File Type: jpg SK010.jpg (39.8 KB, 1747 views)
File Type: jpg SK006.jpg (30.8 KB, 1764 views)
Old 03-24-2020, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

I am certain this guitar passed through my house while en route to the UK and can attest that it is a beautiful instrument in terms of its construction, sound and playability.

Best of luck on the sale!
Old 03-24-2020, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Many thanks for that. Shame I couldn't do it justice!
Old 03-24-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

That guitar looks spectacular. I’ve never played a S. Kinnaird but they are so highly regarded. Is this Neil’s old guitar? I doubt the spacing at the saddle is 2 7/16” as the widest “usual” spacing is 2 3/8”. If you don’t have calipers to measure center on center then simply measure the outside distance and then subtract half the string width so if it has 0.056” and 0.012” then subtract 0.028” + 0.006” = 0.034” or about 1/32”. Best of luck. Stunning guitar at a great price.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

..... or, just measure center of E string to center of e string on the saddle.
Steve
Old 03-24-2020, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Hi jim, yes indeed it is was Neil's. you're right on the spacing - 2 3/8th. hows that Tippin of your doing and hope all is well with you over there? I love this spacing. Now if I can just get my hands altered.......
Stay safe. Fraser
Old 03-24-2020, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Oh, and scale length is 25 1/2"
Old 03-24-2020, 01:10 PM
Musical minimalist

Every time this guitar comes up for sale I think "why would someone put a pickguard over that beautiful BC top??"

Wish I knew what was under there!!

Old 03-24-2020, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

great point. Maybe a nice tortoiseshell or clear? I'm sure the luthier has to work to his clients instructions? Who knows but underneath is more of the same but one thing is sure - you don't want a pick near this top without a pick guard. Its that good. Love these comments guys as I am quite new here.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraserk View Post
Hi jim, yes indeed it is was Neil's. you're right on the spacing - 2 3/8th. hows that Tippin of your doing and hope all is well with you over there? I love this spacing. Now if I can just get my hands altered.......
Stay safe. Fraser
Hey Fraser, this SJ is simply a spectacular guitar. I can’t stop looking at it. I bet it’s a tonal monster, especially if Neil owned it too. I remember him telling me about this one I wish we could’ve worked out a trade but the Tippin OMT and the Brazilian McAlister are now on consignment at TNAG, Nashville. I had 6 000 or OMs in Rosewood and they just overlapped too much that I really play only 3 of them most of the time, plus I’m a Mahogany guy at heart. If this were Mahogany or Maple it’d already be back on this side of the pond. Stay healthy buddy.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:13 PM

I have 4 of Steve's guitars and he builds an absolutely amazing guitar. This one is priced very well IMO.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Tom, thanks for your comments. I'm kinda new here and sometimes miss some of the selling etiquette from the more experienced guys but this guitar is truly stunning. I mentioned that I took it along to Bill Kelday and he was blown away. My journey continues and am more than happy to provide any other details .
Old 03-25-2020, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
Hey Fraser, this SJ is simply a spectacular guitar. I can’t stop looking at it. I bet it’s a tonal monster, especially if Neil owned it too. I remember him telling me about this one I wish we could’ve worked out a trade but the Tippin OMT and the Brazilian McAlister are now on consignment at TNAG, Nashville. I had 6 000 or OMs in Rosewood and they just overlapped too much that I really play only 3 of them most of the time, plus I’m a Mahogany guy at heart. If this were Mahogany or Maple it’d already be back on this side of the pond. Stay healthy buddy.
Cheers Jim, strange times right now.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

I'm not sure but should I be posting this on rest of world guys?
Old 03-26-2020, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraserk View Post
I'm not sure but should I be posting this on rest of world guys?
I've checked this with the mods in the past: It's allowed to post guitars outside of the US in this area. However, in the past, people outside of the US have found that their guitars get buried in the traffic of the main forum, which is why they asked for a rest of the world section.

In my opinion, if you are willing to ship to the US, you should put it here, as it gets more traffic. Just be up front about the need for shipping and be prepared to bump often!

Best of luck with the sale!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars