The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-23-2020, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Our members in Wisconsin facing shortages.
I have never even seen that many accordions in one place.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-23-2020, 09:27 AM

We bought an iPad and shockproof case to drop off at our disabled 16yo son's residential treatment facility. Because we can't visit it will be our primary means of communicating with him (via FaceTime) during this quarantine. We'd resisted buying one up until this point because we weren't sure he'd be properly supervised with it; he has broken a lot of electronics over the years because we weren't diligent.

I also bought a paper shredder and will be going through the clutter in the basement. I intend to rent a chain saw and finish cutting down the dead maple net to our mailbox. Once everything is sorted out I'm buying a fire pit.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Our members in Wisconsin facing shortages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
It's OK, Accordian Center is offering free home delivery and 0% financing to assist those in need.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 03-23-2020, 09:41 AM

Unlike most AGFers, I'm neither a teacher nor retired. Turns out my job as a shift manager at the nuclear power plant is "essential" and despite Homer Simpson's example I can't do it remotely. So I'm still working 12 hour shifts.

My wife is an RN and our son is a mental health counselor at a residential facility so they both continue to work as well. Our daughter is in her senior year at UW in Seattle - they have closed campus and she did her final exams and assignments on line. She is back home with us now.

My musical clubs (3) have cancelled all shows and jams and especially playouts at the nursing homes All bars and restaurants in the state are closed.

Most important to me is my family is together and healthy, we are still employed and we are able to get out and hike and bike in lovely spring weather.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
You are lucky, sir.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-23-2020, 11:31 AM

I'm retired and aside from not venturing forth to do some Uber driving a couple times a week, not much has changed in my life. Thankfully, my wife works from home for a large company that's a third-party administrator for health care claims and her job seems safe.
For the last couple of years, since I retired (granted, earlier than I had planned), I read, watch a lot of YouTube videos on subjects I like (guitars, music, history, firearms, sports, politics) and serve on our condo HOA board. Am I the busiest guy on Earth?
Nope.
Do I care?
Not on your life!
Stay safe, people.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro
G&L Tribute Fallout
Squier 50's Classic Vibe Telecaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Old 03-23-2020, 12:21 PM

Just made my last trip to work for a while. I'll be working from home but I work for an R&D site so it will difficult working on new testing equipment remotely. Though I've always been able to work from home for programming, meetings or writing papers, I prefer to keep work at work.

We'll see what happens....
Old 03-23-2020, 09:09 PM

Actually, nothing has changed so much so far - other than my perceptions. I am nervous, upset I can't go wherever I want (if I wanted, which I haven't), afraid my routine will be disrupted.

But all that will go away in the light of today's local news. I am a real estate professional and suddenly we are banned from showing, selling or listing property. More of my income comes from mortgages I hold on properties I have owned, brought up to a high standard, then financed for the right people. Now the State says no one has to pay mortgages for the next 3 months. You can bet if they don't have to, they won't, so my income will suddenly drop to near zero, though my expenses will change very little if any. And to think I thought at this point in my long life I had finally reached a point where I no longer had to worry about money. Planned retirement after 75 just got waylaid and delayed.

A reminder: the self-employed do not get unemployment insurance. We also pay Social Security at double the regular rate. Nor do we get pensions. I may have to sell off retirement investment assets at big losses just to keep going.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:56 AM

I'm not answering a 5:30 alarm right now. Playing guitar in the middle of the day, clearing brush, and building an ammo cabinet. Sent my first video to co-worker yesterday and participated in a work Zoom conference for the first time this morning - forcing me to join the 21st century.

Supply chain accordion shortage... how far does this have to go? So if me and the family buy our two accordions today, can we buy two more tomorrow? Just curious?
Old 03-25-2020, 12:11 PM
Musical minimalist

I was at the low point of my adult life by about a factor of three before this whole thing started. The last five years of living with and taking care of my parents, the loss of my Dad and now Mom's lifelong anxiety and depression issues have worsened and taken a toll that is going to be hard to reverse.

Physically I'm fine - exercising as I always have, which is the best way for me to get rid of stress. Mentally, the "unknown" of what is going to happen to my business is very stressful all on it's own. You do what you love for 33 years and then it gets shut down by something you have no control over. If this continues and the economy gets knocked out into a depression like state, one of the first things to go for folks will be services like mine. I haven't had any vacation in almost 10 years by design (4-5 Saturdays off in that time period) Now I'm forced into a long one and can't go anywhere!

As for my "everyday" life. I still go into the studio (where everything I own "lives") every day. I get up a little later, obviously have much more solitude with no clients walking in the door, and have been making my best attempt to distract myself with music, reading and exercise.

As most of you know, I don't ask for too much from this life - a minimalist (everything I own fits in less than 400 sq ft), but golf and road cycling are two of the big reasons I exist. Still a little too cold for the bike, and of course the golf course is closed from the virus issues. Waited all winter for some kind of "normal" to return, and now this.

About 40% of my yearly business expenses are due in the next 60 days - as well as a huge tax bill from last year and this year's first quarter. Going to take a huge hit with no income except for a 1200.00 check coming from my "uncle".

Good thing I've been saving since I was about 9 years old.

Last edited by fitness1; 03-25-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:36 PM

fitness1, thoughts and prayers. Hopefully everyone will follow the guidelines we've been given and the medical community will develop an effective treatment quickly so this situation doesn't go on a lot longer. My insurances and property taxes all come due at the beginning of April. I am always glad when they're taken care of and feel grateful that I can. Try to do as much of what you love as possible and hoping this shut down is over quickly. Stay strong.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:49 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ville Brent View Post
fitness1, thoughts and prayers. Hopefully everyone will follow the guidelines we've been given and theTh medical community will develop an effective treatment quickly so this situation doesn't go on a lot longer. My insurances and property taxes all come due at the beginning of April. I am always glad when they're taken care of and feel grateful that I can. Try to do as much of what you love as possible and hoping this shut down is over quickly. Stay strong.
Thanks Brent -

Sorry for the vent. I know we are all having some issues. Just had a bad day today.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
...Sorry for the vent. I know we are all having some issues. Just had a bad day today.
No apologies needed. Hope for the best for you,Todd......
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-31-2020, 05:57 AM

It's been another week ... Has anything else in your life changed from your initial post? Anything that you didn't expect come to pass?
Old 03-31-2020, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
It's been another week ... Has anything else in your life changed from your initial post? Anything that you didn't expect come to pass?
I'm retired so nothing has changed as far as work goes. Virginia's Governor declared a stay at home order yesterday but there are enough exclusions to cover anything I'd want to do besides leisurely rides in my Miata ragtop. Yesterday I took a long ride through the Albemarle County countryside and Sunday drove down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Will have to forgo those rides, but fortunately my front deck is a pretty nice place to look out onto nature....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic