The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-20-2020, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
I did my grad work at UGA—But long before there was an “online”!
I hear ya, buddy. My grad work was during the era of chalk.

My field is 18th C British. I’m at one of your alma mater’s branch unis.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-20-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
I hear ya, buddy. My grad work was during the era of chalk.

My field is 18th C British. I’m at one of your alma mater’s branch unis.

Nice! I’m in child development, but in North Dakota—long way from the south!
Old 03-20-2020, 06:26 PM

Default Hmmmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
How has your Daily Life Changed during these Times with COVID-19? Are you isolated at home? Working from home? Laid off?

Is there anyone here who's daily routine hasn't changed? If not, do you expect it to change?

Peace and health to everyone.
That would be me...slightly. Can't go out to my breakfast hangout and my weekly jam, but- most everything else is normal .....except for grocery store trips! My poor wife is on the front lines of the County Health and Welfare task force...boy , do I get an earful every night
Old 03-20-2020, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Yes and no. We're retired so our only socializing is meeting friends for dinner or having drinks out. That's stopped and that sucks and is dearly missed. I did socialize with the neighbor lady today but we stood about twelve feet apart. She's been in her house for twelve days now. Her husband passed away two months ago.

Another big change is all the people at the grocery store. The stores are hot beds of infectious diseased people.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-20-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Similarly. But I set a window of opportunity of say 36 hours. Once the student opens the test, time starts ticking—too quickly to google answers.

Not all tests are the same, either—to prevent sharing screen shots.

Students may try to game the objective section of my exams. The essay sections though are harder.

It is true that a student may pay someone else to do his/her work. But most are honest.
I'm going to have test banks for each question. So each question, for each test, is pulled from a group of 4 or 5 questions. Also, the questions and answers are randomized. Just about every test will be unique. I'm also using the Lockdown browser so they can't open another tab and a webcam monitor to monitor their environment and make sure it's them taking the test.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-20-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
Do you do it for regular online classes, or just in situations like this?
I've never taught virtually before. I don't think many have...
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-20-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Similarly. But I set a window of opportunity of say 36 hours. Once the student opens the test, time starts ticking—too quickly to google answers.

Not all tests are the same, either—to prevent sharing screen shots.

Students may try to game the objective section of my exams. The essay sections though are harder.

It is true that a student may pay someone else to do his/her work. But most are honest.
You're not going to use a webcam to monitor the tests?
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-20-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I'm going to have test banks for each question. So each question, for each test, is pulled from a group of 4 or 5 questions. Also, the questions and answers are randomized. Just about every test will be unique. I'm also using the Lockdown browser so they can't open another tab and a webcam monitor to monitor their environment and make sure it's them taking the test.

That’s about all you can do...I’ve used all of those except for the webcam....
Old 03-20-2020, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
You're not going to use a webcam to monitor the tests?
No. But I do a lock down browser.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-20-2020, 08:56 PM

I'm fortunate to be able to operate almost within the guidelines (California - "shelter in place") withut excessive disruption. There's nobody on the bike or walking trails that cannot be avoided. The organized indoor and outdoor sports are shut down, though

. I have two really nice things....a workbench, and a whole lot of tools. And I have stay-in options....about 50 "projects".

Fortunately, my S/O and I are really good friends.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
I'm fortunate to be able to operate almost within the guidelines (California - "shelter in place") withut excessive disruption. There's nobody on the bike or walking trails that cannot be avoided. The organized indoor and outdoor sports are shut down, though

. I have two really nice things....a workbench, and a whole lot of tools. And I have stay-in options....about 50 "projects".

Fortunately, my S/O and I are really good friends.
That’s my intention as well. I’d planned to start painting and remodeling a bathroom and continue work on my luthery hobby. I’m also interested in starting up a YouTube channel and participate in some online music collaborations and events. When this all blows over I want to be able to play out

My wife is in IT support for an international company in the medical supply chain so she’s busy but she’s also mid level management so she can work from home. She’s stressed but it’s nice to have her home - though I have to keep quiet while she’s on endless conference calls.

Our 13yo “social distances” from us because it’s the nature of his age, not because he’s avoiding us out of resentment. He chats with his friends on his Nintendo. Our school district is not offering online instruction at this time which has me befuddled; they issue every student their own Chromebooks and the school website is pretty comprehensive.

Probably the most concerning is that our 16yo son is severely autistic and currently lives in a group home with a dedicated staff. His schooling is also suspended, as is his mobile therapy and we are currently being told we cannot visit with him. So far, he’s content but I imagine the lack of structure and inability to do his favorite things (he lives going to the YMCA to swim and exercise) will cause him to be more emotionally volatile as this continues. Fortunately, outside excursions with limited interpersonal contact (unfortunately even from us) is still available.

I’m hoping this curve begins to flatten soon. Because of the autism factor in our family I’d become clinically depressed so I wasn’t really seeking to mingle with the general population anyway. In fact, just going out in public and witnessing the panic is what has made me anxious. It’s been a step in the wrong direction for me as I’m perfectly happy to hunker down.

By the way, tonight after ordering takeout through a DoorDash we had a FaceTime party with two groups of friends and played an online trivia game. It went surprisingly well, though I wish we could have figured out some way of being able to teleconference over the smart TV; the screens on our phones are really small and our eyes aren’t as good as they once were.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:27 AM

A lot has changed for us, because we are active outside the home: my wife does volunteer work, attends work out classes, is in two book clubs, and socializes with a half dozen friends; I am on the Board of Directors of a small non-profit, do some teaching in the community, participate in some social groups, attend weekly jams, and had been doing some Open Mics in the last couple of months. All has come to a stop.

We also like to go out for a “date night” once a week. So this week, we will open a bottle of wine and stay at home for dinner, and maybe stream a movie. It will be nice, I’m sure. But it will feel a bit more contained.

We had some travel scheduled in the next few months....ain’t gonna happen. And we have put some deposits down and bought airline tickets for a “special vacation” in September. I am assuming it will still happen, but it certainly seems less certain now than when we were first planning last December.

Our sources of retirement income have been dramatically affected...which is not an issue right now, but it may affect my feeling about spending money on that vacation I mentioned, and it may require some changes in our lifestyle in the medium term future. I was planning to buy a car in the Spring, but our cars are not too old, so that will definitely be postponed...maybe for as long as a couple of years.

I’ve been spending more time in the phone or on Zoom, checking in with friends and extended family, commiserating...and recognizing that some are in the higher risk group (older and have co-morbid health conditions). I am imagining that someone in my network may well die as this plays out, as I have cousins who have diabetes, a cousin with lupus, several friends with various heart conditions, friends with significant asthma, etc., etc. So I am making efforts to have a bit more contact with some of these folks, and am trying to directly and indirectly communicate my fondness and appreciation for them...just in case.

Oh...and it used to be very easy to buy toilet paper, and I usually bought it one sale! One of Life’s simple pleasures, down the tubes.....

The important things are still in place, but a lot of change and disruption on the periphery.

Last edited by buddyhu; 03-21-2020 at 02:37 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
That would be me...slightly. Can't go out to my breakfast hangout and my weekly jam, but- most everything else is normal .....except for grocery store trips! My poor wife is on the front lines of the County Health and Welfare task force...boy , do I get an earful every night
Do you think that as the next few weeks go by anything more in your daily life could change? No Stanley Cup playoffs ... although we could see something in the summer I suppose.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:21 AM

Being retired, life has changed less for us than for some, but it has changed. Being cautious because of autoimmune issues. We have been pretty isolated at home for nearly 2 weeks. We had friends who are almost totally isolated over for dinner last weekend. Otherwise, haven’t seen anyone except neighbors when walking, picking up the paper, or taking out the trash. In person interaction has almost been reduced to cashiers in grocery store Check out lines. Jams a couple of times a week are out as is golf league. Trying to figure out where we will get plants for the vegetable garden this year. Beds are tilled and will need to be filled. Playing more guitar. My teacher is setting himself up for Skype lessons. May even do some online lessons too. Struggling g to figure out what to do about the animal foster care and adoption program we participate in. Watched a couple of movies and will probably do more of that. Phone time is up a lot as we work to stay in touch and see how everyone is doing. Pets are suffering from lack of attention with us home all the time. Getting along pretty well and glad to have talked to a lot of friends and family (Hurray for what’s app).

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 03-21-2020, 10:42 AM

I'm a photographer by trade. I shoot a lof of college portraits (fraternities and sororities) as well as a lot of obstacle course racing (Spartan Race, etc).

All of the scheduled gigs I've had have been cancelled or postponed. Instead, I'm starting to drum up business in other areas; taking photos for online retailers, etc.

Overall it sucks, but this storm will be weathered, just like all the others...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic