The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2020, 03:44 AM

I have a 1976 D35, a 2006 OM35 and a custom 000 12 fret with three piece mahogany back built in 2015.

It took 39 years to assemble this trio of guitars and was well worth the pursuit and the end result.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:59 AM
Charter Member

A Martin D-35 haunted my dreams for some time about 15 years ago, but sadly someone bought it while I was saving up for it. My wife bought me a D-16GT though shortly afterwards so I still got a Martin in the house.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-21-2020, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Many years ago when I was young ........... snapped the truss rod.

Now some 30 years later I stopped off in a music store .................So a few days later I called up the shop and placed a custom shop order for a D-35 with the smaller nut size (and an Ambertone finish)

Should have it by July.
Well the Factory is now closed until further notice. So it might be a few months or perhaps a few years until I get my new D-35. Maybe I should go back to the idea of buying used.

But In the scheme of all things, that which was once important is now a a distant second.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-21-2020, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Forgive me for saying, as I have never even seen a D35 in the wild, let alone played one. But if they have half as much soul as the stories that they have spawned and have been shared here, it is, indeed a very special instrument.
David
Old 03-21-2020, 07:29 AM

My son gave me a 1969 D-35 several years ago. It is one of my favorite guitars. I bought a new D12-35 50th Anniversary. It is my favorite 12-string guitar. D-35s are hard to beat!
Old 03-21-2020, 08:09 AM

Lots of great D35 stories.

I've got a '72 D35. When I picked it up at the store I knew instantly. I'd had a couple Alvarez Yairis and had played some D28's... but this guitar was special. My D35 has a soft V neck which I like a lot, especially with the 1 11/16" nut. With the right strings you can do so many different styles with it. It will probably be my one and only Martin.

Comparing it to a J-45? Tough call. The J-45's are stronger in the mids, I think. If I had to own one Gibson I think the J-45 might be the one, but I did have gas for an SJ-200 at one time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg martin_body.jpg (51.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg martin_back.jpg (22.5 KB, 102 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 03-21-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Forgive me for saying, as I have never even seen a D35 in the wild, let alone played one. But if they have half as much soul as the stories that they have spawned and have been shared here, it is, indeed a very special instrument.
David
I agree with your perception.
A D-35 is a very special guitar.
But it isn't everyone's cup o tea.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:12 PM

This thread has been quite GAS inducing. I’ve been heavily researching Martin dreads during this quarantine deal and have narrowed it to down the D18 or the D35.

I’ve played a few old D35’s that needed some work , but man what a sound. I guess if I sell my rosewood Taylor I’ll go with a D35 or if I sell my LG2 I’ll go with a D18.

I’ve enjoyed reading the positives about the D35 and seeing the pics in this thread.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:43 PM

I’ve been in the market for a new acoustic guitar since being left some money by my stepfather with the instruction on the part of my mum to ‘buy something to remind me of Bob’. Ended up playing around 20 great guitars, including a J45, over the course of a few weeks but I’m now the proud owner of a brand new D35. This was the guitar that ‘spoke’ to me and I just couldn’t face leaving PMT Birmingham without it 7 days ago.

I think whichever guitar you choose you need to have that instinctive connection with it. I just love the way it sounds, the way it looks, and the way it makes me feel when I play it. It inspires me and I feel it’s my new companion in life. Expensive, yes, but worth every penny.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:15 AM

I picked up a 1983 D-35 a couple of months ago. Gotta say, I love it. It is certainly not the prettiest one around, but, the sound will blow you away.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:34 PM

Default D-35

I bought a dream D-35 about 30 years ago, and I absolutely loved it. Then I played an HD-35 in a music store, and I couldn’t believe the difference. Five years later I bought the HD-35 and I still love it. I believe the scalloped bracing in the HD-35 made the difference. I still own both, as well as other guitars. The HD is my favorite. When I play in acoustic groups, I’m often asked “what kind of guitar is that” since it stands out from the others, including other Martins. I suggest checking out the HD-35 before buying the D-35. The extra $ is worth it.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanWI View Post
I bought a dream D-35 about 30 years ago, and I absolutely loved it. Then I played an HD-35 in a music store, and I couldn’t believe the difference. Five years later I bought the HD-35 and I still love it. I believe the scalloped bracing in the HD-35 made the difference. I still own both, as well as other guitars. The HD is my favorite. When I play in acoustic groups, I’m often asked “what kind of guitar is that” since it stands out from the others, including other Martins. I suggest checking out the HD-35 before buying the D-35. The extra $ is worth it.
First, Welcome to the Forum

I played a couple of samples of both the D-35 and HD-35 before placing an order for a D-35. Not sure if the HD-35 of 5 years ago has the same bracing as the reimagined HD-35 but I found the new version, though nice, was a bit to boomy for me. I love a big low end but to my ears it was to much of a good thing.

The Standard D-35 was just the right amount of low end for my tastes.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-31-2020, 06:41 PM

Default D35 or HD-35

I bought a D35 about 30 years ago and I loved the booming bass it provided. Then I played an HD-35 in a music store, and I thought there was a big improvement, and I dreamt of owning one. I bought the HD about 25 years ago, and I still love playing it. I get lots of complements, and it stands out from other fine guitars when playing in an acoustic group. I think the scalloped braces make the difference, and the herringbone at the binding looks great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion