The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-31-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
I was playing my $279 Eastman PCH OM this morning and it's absolutely crazy to say but it's just as good my $5000-$10,000 guitars.
I don't have any $5000 or $10,000 guitars but I will say that I had a PCH and it was an amazingly good guitar for the money. I passed it on to a friend and bought an E1D (always liked dreads) and it is sweet, loud, and just has the right "feel" to me. I grin every time I pick it up.
Yamaha FGX 720SCA
Rogue resonator
Eastman E1D 2019
Takamine GS330S
Eastman PCH
Old 03-31-2020, 08:08 PM

I confess, I love my three Eastmans: HE-120, rode hard and put up wet but serious tone, E10-OM, wonderfully chunky neck, E10-D, bass, balance and punch.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
I'm curious about what in particular Eastman owners like about them, and how you would describe their tone.

I've played a number of them, and thought they had a more modern sound as opposed to traditional. I don't own one because, when I finally got around to playing them, they overlapped in tone/niche with the guitars I had already accumulated. Their dreads remind me of the tone of Bourgeois dreads -- kind of thick/rich -- as opposed to Martins.
I wouldn't call the Eastman sound entirely "modern," which I usually think of as Taylor-esque and bright. But it's definitely a more balanced voice with more note clarity and some shimmer on top vs. a more traditional equivalent. I've thought the same about Bourgeois, which is one reason I think their strategic alliance makes a lot of sense.

Eastman has become much more consistent with their build quality, and they've also become more consistent with their instrument voicing. Of course, like any brand, there are exceptions (I own a few of them; see my next post), but even when the characteristics differ, they still have a certain Eastman sound, IMHO.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
A while back I picked up an Eastman E8D from Sun Valley guitars. To be honest I actually have decided I like it better than my Martin D-35 and my Martin D-18 M. deluxe. So I decided to send my D-18 to Brian to sell on consignment for me. In the meantime I also ordered an Eastman E10D from him to replace the D-18. And once again I was totally surprised how good it sounds. So I decided to send him my Martin D-35 to sell also. I'm thinking about checking out the Eastman E20om too. I'm sorry Martin but I just cant hear a triple price sound difference in your guitars. Don't get me wrong I like Martin guitars. They do have that Martin sound. But I have to admit I like the sound of some of the Eastman models a little better. I want to give a shout to Brian at Sun Valley Guitars too. He has been really great to work with.
Your story resembles mine. In late 2016, I was about to purchase a Martin CS dread (Rosewood/Adi) from a local store. An online friend encouraged me to check out Eastman b/c they made some great Adi top dreads. I played 4-5 at a local store, and within a week or two, I passed on the Martin in favor of an Eastman E40D.

That began a series of buying, selling, replacing, and expanding. Several guitars went away (some more expensive, some less) and were replaced by more Eastman guitars. I enjoy many guitar brands, and that Martin was amazing, but I enjoy Eastman's voicing as much or more than any other brand. I described it in a previous post, but someone here once described how it's more "musical" than other brands, which makes sense to me (and perhaps a nod to their classical instrument origins).

In any case, here's the current Eastman lineup. My daughter's guitar is missing from the photo (E1OO-LTD, 12-fret) b/c she was playing it in her room, and I replaced the rack spot with my Blueridge BR-240A. But I have a new E6D arriving this week, so my racks will be 100% Eastman again soon.

Lineup (left to right):

Rack 1:
2016 E40D
2017 E20D
2017 E20OM-SB
2018 E10SS/v
2017 E40D

Rack 2:
2019 AC630-BD
2018 BR-240A (Blueridge)
2016 E10D
2017 E40OM
2016 E8D

Stand:
2017 ACTG1
Old 04-01-2020, 02:36 AM

It would take something extraordinary (and expensive) to replace my Eastman E8OM. Big, bold, rich sitka/EIR tone. And a joy to play.

I've had this since 2014. Actually the top has gotten a bit darker since this photo, more caramel-y.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030439 copy.jpg (38.1 KB, 147 views)
Old 04-01-2020, 02:52 AM
Charter Member

MHC, I've drooled over that E8OM photo several times. What a distinctive top, and E8OM is such an underrated model in the Eastman lineup. I was considering an E6OM or E8OM, but I think my next OM may be one of the TC models. I probably need to sell one to make room (or so I keep saying!).
Old 04-01-2020, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I owned an E20D, Adi and Rosewood that I sold. I still miss it. Heckuva’ guitar!
I know the owner...he might make you a deal on it
Old 04-01-2020, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
Hi UncleJesse,

I've been thinking about getting an E20OM-TC. Does anything come to mind about what you didn't like about it?

Jim
It just didn't have the bass I'd like out of a smaller guitar. I got an adirondack/rosewood GE Martin OM that filled that role nicely.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
To Uncle Jesse, I actually had the E10ss a couple of years ago and after I sold I did regret it. That is why I bought the E20ss. I really like the E20ss a lot. It is just a different sound from the other Eastman guitars that I own. I guess some of it is because of the scale length being different. I don't think you can go wrong with either one of the Eastman slope shoulders. Mine plays like butter. It's funny that you traded your Eastman E20OM-TC because that's the next guitar that I ordered from Brian. I should get it by the end of the week. I'll let you know what I think of it.
Nice! Hope you enjoy it. It wasn't a bad guitar it just wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted more bass out of a smaller-bodied guitar. I found that with a used Martin OM adirondack/rosewood GE.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Nice! Hope you enjoy it. It wasn't a bad guitar it just wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted more bass out of a smaller-bodied guitar. I found that with a used Martin OM adirondack/rosewood GE.
Not sure if this applies to you, but my e20-om was lacking in bass when I got it. About a year in it seems to have loosened up and seems to have a lot more bass. It's still not as bass biased as a Martin, but I don't feel like it's lacking anymore.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:28 AM

One of the benefits of eastman that nobody ever seems to mention is the jescar fret wire they use. It's a little harder material than the standard nickle/silver wire most companies use and seems to last a really long time. I've been playing the crap out of mine for a year now and there is almost zero fret wear.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Not sure if this applies to you, but my e20-om was lacking in bass when I got it. About a year in it seems to have loosened up and seems to have a lot more bass. It's still not as bass biased as a Martin, but I don't feel like it's lacking anymore.
Oh well, I traded it for an E10D-TC which is lacking for absolutely anything. It's my new bluegrass cannon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
One of the benefits of eastman that nobody ever seems to mention is the jescar fret wire they use. It's a little harder material than the standard nickle/silver wire most companies use and seems to last a really long time. I've been playing the crap out of mine for a year now and there is almost zero fret wear.
My issue is on my E20OM-TC was the frets seemed very tall. My gorilla-like grip would bend notes sharp!
Old 04-01-2020, 08:37 AM

To Pura Vida, Man you have got one sweet collection of Eastmans. And yes your story is very similar to mine. Over the past few years I can't tell you have many different guitars I have bought and sold. Taylors, Breedlove, Yamahas, and a few Martins. I have never owned a Gibson yet but I have been thinking about checking out the J-15. Rokdog has mentioned it a few times and he really likes it. But when I got my E8D from Brian at Sun Valley I knew that was the sound I had been looking for. I will probably buy another Martin someday because I really do like their over all sound, depending on the model of course. Enjoy all those Eastmans you got. I know the 3 that I own right now aren't going any where. Just curious what your thoughts are on the Eastman E20om cause I have one of those on the way from Sun Valley but it is the Thermo cured version of it.

Last edited by baw3; 04-01-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
T. Just curious what your thoughts are on the Eastman E20om cause I have one of those on the way from Sun Valley but it is the Thermo cured version of it.
Cool! I kind of wish I had held out for the TC version, but I still love it anyway. Let us know what you think when you get it.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
To Pura Vida, Man you have got one sweet collection of Eastmans. And yes your story is very similar to mine. Over the past few years I can't tell you have many different guitars I have bought and sold. Taylors, Breedlove, Yamahas, and a few Martins. I have never owned a Gibson yet but I have been thinking about checking out the J-15. Rokdog has mention it a few times and he really likes it. But when I got my E8D from Brian at Sun Valley I knew that was the sound I had been looking for. I will probably buy another Martin someday because I really do like their over all sound, depending on the model of course. Enjoy all those Eastmans you got. I know the 3 that I own right now aren't going any where. Just curious what your thoughts are on the Eastman E20om cause I have one of those on the way from Sun Valley but it is the Thermo cured version of it.
You may love it. I didn't think mine was a bad guitar, it just wasn't what I was wanting. I wanted something better for Flatpicking which, in retrospect, should have been something long scale instead of short scale. That's why I replaced it's role with a Martin OM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion