The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-31-2020, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Social Isolation - Day 20

I started self-quarantining twenty days ago. However, I am not dis-engaged from the corona virus fight - more on that late. That doesn't mean I locked myself into a room, but rather abstained from going wherever groups may gather - like song circles, jam sessions, and gym workouts.

I found solace in walking the dogs through miles of single track trails where nobody else ventured - well, they shut that down. So now I can walk them around the block and see all these other people too.

I do understand. My destinations for me were always about the solitude. But they always had a singular component that was an attraction for the multitudes, and that one attraction prompted the closure of the entire area.

I have driven for hours and miles in the 500,000 + acre Anza-Borrega State Park and never seen another soul. But it is now shut down.

I have hiked many miles and many hours in the Carlsbad Highlands without seeing anyone within a quarter mile of me, yet the area is now shut down.

I get it, I do. It is just so frustrating because I am reduced to walking around the block and seeing all the other people walking around the block because we have no place left to go, and they all want to pet my pup cattle dog because she is so friendly and I am like "NO DO NOT TOUCH" because they might put the corona virus on her fur.

I do the grocery shopping. My wife is working, my mission Sunday was to drive to the University of Southern Cal and pick up some live samples of the COVOID 19 virus and bring it back to her lab. I felt like I was driving a time bomb.

But I digress. Going to the grocery store is a trip. There are more face masks on shoppers than gloves on hands. The problem is the germs on the product, which gets there through the hands.

Then I have my son, who just barely made it out of South America after being dispatched down there for a film project. He was quarantined in Los Angelos for two weeks, and on day 16 we told him to get down here ASAP. We have the space and reserve supplies for weeks, and it is all too easy for San Diego County to shut down I-5 in Camp Pendleton and I-15 just south of Temecula. At that point the only major highway into San Diego County is I-8 and it is a long round-about way to get there.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 03-31-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
...My wife is working, my mission Sunday was to drive to the University of Southern Cal and pick up some live samples of the COVOID 19 virus and bring it back to her lab. I felt like I was driving a time bomb....
Haha, I bet! It'd sure be good for somebody to find a cure! Meanwhile, yeah, just staying in, a rare trip to the market....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-31-2020, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

We are social distancing as well. I ride my bicycle around as I live beside a large park with trails up and down the rivers.

Here in western Iowa it's really just taking hold. People are not serious yet. I'm guessing three weeks until it gets really serious and intense.

At the grocery store no one was wearing a mask but my wife. I didn't go in. Why double our exposure. If one of us get it the other will anyway.

One older lady was wearing gloves but stood elbow to elbow with the bagger while helping her put groceries in her car.

Sunday I saw soft ball practice, volley ball games and parties and get togethers in the park. And groups of bicyclists riding together.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic