The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-28-2020, 01:19 PM

Default US Postal Service and the beach

The mayor of my little beach town where we have a second home just ordered the beaches closed and the boardwalk off limits. (This is in NJ....no one’s going to the beach except to walk anyway and there’s not a single business open on the boardwalk.) Super controversial because the 10,000 or so year round residents are making a stink about anyone coming on the island and “bringing the virus” even homeowners like myself.

Yet, at the same time,why are we still getting mail? I mean, I get it. Bills and communications and such. But how many people are touching the letters? Are the trucks sanitized? Seriously, when we’re trying to prevent the spread we’re shipping parcels, magazines and letters thru the USPS? It defies logic.

This would be a good time to finally eliminate Saturday mail delivery...ridiculous for an agency that racks up billions of budget shortfalls annually.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:39 PM

So we should stop any physical exchange of "stuff" from place to another until further notice?

Seems like a big bummer to me.

I'm with you that the chain of custody of letters and parcels probably puts all my incoming stuff in contact with plague. For that reason, I handle it with gloves and don't bring it into my home until it's been disinfected. I prefer this approach, personally, over simply stopping the physical exchange of stuff.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:42 PM

I think the general idea is to wash your hands if you touch anything from outside... groceries, takeout, mail, etc.

It's not that big of a deal as it only takes 20 seconds.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-28-2020, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I think the general idea is to wash your hands if you touch anything from outside... groceries, takeout, mail, etc.

It's not that big of a deal as it only takes 20 seconds.
Exactly the practice we've been following. It's become a pretty easy habit to get into.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-30-2020, 08:17 AM

Beaches were closed here in New Hampshire as of midnight Friday/Saturday. Why? Because people are stupid and were not observing best practices (6 feet apart, stay home if you have symptoms, etc).
Mail - I retrieve it from the mailbox, put it on the table, wash hands. Let it sit for 24 hours, the virus should be dead, but give it a quick wipe with a disinfectant wipe or alcohol-soaked papertowel. Don't forget the table where it sat.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-30-2020, 10:36 AM

I 100% agree that mail delivery should be limited. While there is mail that certainly does need to continue, we should ban any delivery unnecessary/unsolicited mail (credit card and refinancing offers, etc.). Most days that is all the mail I get, and it shouldn't happen at this time.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 03-30-2020, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
...an agency that racks up billions of budget shortfalls annually.
I do all my bills and everything electronically. However, I know that there is a need for paper document delivery and small parcel deliveries so the USPS will not "go away" any time soon.

With that need in mind, it is *ASTONISHING* to think that you can hand someone a document and they can deliver it *ANYWHERE* in the US for 50 cents, within days!. And people complain about them. What they do is nothing short of miraculous.

What they need to do is raise their prices MASSIVELY - letters should cost $5 to deliver anywhere in the US within 3 days. They need to stop giving their service away. The problem is that it has become a sort of welfare service with claims that you discriminate against the poor when you raise prices, so instead they hide the subsidies by funding it with tax dollars.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-30-2020, 02:46 PM

Little known fact: the Post Office used to deliver mail twice a day to residences And up to four times per day to businesses. Stopped doing it in 1950.

Crazy, huh?
Old 03-30-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
...Yet, at the same time,why are we still getting mail? I mean, I get it. Bills and communications and such. But how many people are touching the letters? Are the trucks sanitized? Seriously, when we’re trying to prevent the spread we’re shipping parcels, magazines and letters thru the USPS? It defies logic....
What defies logic is trying to imagine how the retired and poor would get their social security and assistance checks. How the USPS would "store" all the mail accumulated over a week, 2 weeks....2 months? How would people get their bills and be able to pay them. You see, over 70% of this country live rurally. Probably half of the poor (rural and urban) don't have computers even if they have internet access. Parts of Alaska (and other states) are completely off the grid and some have no electricity (the islands especially); and some areas of the country don't even have cellular coverage. Many elderly, like my mom, get their prescriptions delivered to them so they can take life-saving medication.

Please, what logic will you apply here to see that everyone gets everything they need if we stop someone from delivering it to them.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
You see, over 70% of this country live rurally. Probably half of the poor (rural and urban) don't have computers even if they have internet access. Parts of Alaska (and other states) are completely off the grid and some have no electricity (the islands especially); and some areas of the country don't even have cellular coverage. Many elderly, like my mom, get their prescriptions delivered to them so they can take life-saving medication.

Please, what logic will you apply here to see that everyone gets everything they need if we stop someone from delivering it to them.
Indeed.

The concept is ludicrous.

I don't get why people hate on the Post Office. They literally move mountains every single day.

If you're that paranoid, let your mail sit a few days. I'm not giving up my World to fear, or shutting down the entire Country. My wife and I both are "essential" and have to work every day. So are millions of other people who don't have the luxury to not work for months.

The USPS is vital in times of crisis and should be kept intact in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 03-31-2020, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Here in the UK we have a special relationship with the people who deliver our mail.
Our postman is a good chap, helpful and welcomed. He has to handle stuff from all over, including , of course from other countries.
Summer heat, rain or snow, grey haired and in shorts, he's there.

We don't have mail boxes, letters and small parcels come through a letterbox in the door, and if it won't fit, he both rings and knocks on the door.
Sometimes he will hide a parcel behind our recycling bins - he seems to know when that's OK.

Can you be 100% safe? no. Pick up your mail, open it, dispose all outer packaging and junk mail in recycling, then wash your hands.
Most bills and stuff will have been printed, folded and "enveloped" by machine and small packages, well yes, leave them for a few days.

My prescription meds were delivered yesterday, not by the normal guy who I now know by first names, but by a young volunteer.
he rang the bell (with surgical gloves) and placed the meds on my step, and waited for me to open the door. and stood back appropriately. It's cool.

Yesterday, I probably committed a crime, but the car has been standing for over a week and I thought I should give it a sort run to charge the battery. I drove to two local DIY stores which are "open" but for click and collect only.
So you order online, then they give you an order number or whatever, and you drive up and stop by a "wait here" sign. Then a sales assistant fetches your order on a trolly, then stands back so you can load it up.

Food outlets are still crazy at certain times, but not in others. numbers of customers are restricted - one in , one out (or t'other way around.

The supermarket delivery services have been overwhelmed and failed, so you have to shop, or send someone else.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic