The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-16-2020, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Facebook live advice

I have seen a few folks take to Facebook live to put some music out for the socially distant. I want to be able to run from an external source (GarageBand or my Voicelive 3) into my iPhone 11. I think the dongle is an issue to getting the phone to recognize the input. I have the stereo 3.5 to the Apple 3 ring adapter...but I have to plug it into the dongle and get no mix with effects... just the onboard mic. I have spent the better part of the day researching and testing with lots of different setups. What am I missing? I have tried to just use the camera as well to see if I could get the mixed signal going...no dice. Help!
Old 03-16-2020, 04:10 PM

You’re trying to process a signal through your phone while streaming live? First you’ll need a guitar interface adapter. I use the older version of this and works great.

IK Multimedia iRig HD 2 Digital Guitar Interface For iPhone, iPad And Mac (Ip-Irig-Hd2-In) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KPYGBR6..._pK.BEbA7MQ4TP
Old 03-16-2020, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

I've used an older iRig to send my old F'rite interface output to an iPhone - just used a stereo->mono cable from a (2nd) headphone output. If you want a stereo signal, then you'll need a iOS compatible interface that plugs directly into the Lightning port. (Chances are you'd get better audio quality - the iRig is really just designed for a guitar pickup, so probably not real hi-fi.)
Old 03-17-2020, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the input...no pun intended. Turns out I did have an iRig in my closet. Ran a quick test late last night and I think it will work well. I will run a Facebook live session today and see how it sounds. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Thanks all! Did the first Facebook live yesterday and it sounded decent. Take a look at it on FB under my Lawrence George Music page. Would love some input in how to improve it. Thanks
Old 03-19-2020, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Those are pretty good my only advice for visual effect (whichI need to do also) is think about looking more often , into the camera .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-19-2020, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Would love some input in how to improve it.

Put it on youtube

-Mike "not a facebooker "
Old 03-19-2020, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Mike. Not gonna go You Tube on this one quite yet. I want to get my setup right before volleying this into the Youtubeverse. Be well and play guitar.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound View Post
Thanks all! Did the first Facebook live yesterday and it sounded decent. Take a look at it on FB under my Lawrence George Music page. Would love some input in how to improve it. Thanks
Nice job, and the audio was good. What was your full set up?
Old 03-28-2020, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Thanks. Simple setup. I came out of the headphone jack on my TCHelicon voicelive 3 into a headphone amp and ran a line out thru a iRig into the phone.
Lessons learned include the fact that you need an interface like an iRig or something to get the mix into the phone. Also know that you need to be in the FB live function before you plug in the interface to the phone...otherwise the phone will default to the phone mic. Last but not least you can run a FB Live test and change you FB privacy settings to “only you” to allow you a test run before going live to the world. I see lots of folks including professionals go live and try to work out the issues with a live audience.
Final lesson use a bit more effects than normal for a good result thru a phone or tablet speaker...mine was a bit dry..,sounded good in the headphones...to dry when played thru a device speaker.

Last edited by Greyhound; 03-28-2020 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound View Post
This may sound weird but my advice would be to just use a really good single mic and record it acoustically. I know this may seem counter intuitive or counter productive to getting better sound quality but I personally enjoy FB live or Instagram live stuff when they are done this way, it just feels more appropriate for the medium imo plus I actually personally prefer the sound as it's more natural.

Anyway this is some advice on not necessarily how to improve the sound but maybe just a different approach. The results you're getting now sound good. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
McSpadden Mountain Dulcimer
Casio CT-S1
Old 03-29-2020, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Mike. A single mic would be good in a good space. I made a couple of videos with just the iPhone mic...one in my semi high ceiling living room and one on my deck and the results were pleasing. A quality mic would bring them up another notch..I’ll try it out. My small guitar room is pretty close and frankly...I’m just experimenting to learn new stuff in my down time. My Facebook page has this videos up under Lawrence George Music.
Next adventure is learning to make a simple backing track on GarageBand. My first project should be up by tomorrow. I’m doing Roll with it by Steve Winwood...good lyrics for today. Thanks for the input. Appreciated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD