The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-10-2020, 12:13 PM

Default Motu M4

Hi,
Has anyone tried or acquired the Motu M4..? if so is it working OK with Window 10..? what do you think of it

Alan
Old 02-10-2020, 08:22 PM

I do not have any direct experience with this interface, but I have been seriously researching the motu line. I just checked and the M4 has the same converters as their more top of the line or “flagship” interfaces. So, it should sound as good as any of those. The Ess sabre converters are used in a lot interfaces that are highly regarded.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

I have no experience with the M4, but I’ve been using a Motu Ultralite AVB for about 4 years. I’ve been very pleased with my interface and Motu has really been upgrading the performance of many of their models over the last few years. The M4 specs seem to be as good as possible for a usb powered interface, and especially good for the price. If the M4 has the feature set you want I’d highly recommend it.

The only 'caution' I'll throw out is about USB powered audio interfaces (this is a broad statement, not specific to Motu). Since the amount of power the audio interface can draw from the USB is limited by the USB spec, the amount of power that the audio interface can provide for its phantom power output is limited. This isn't normally a problem but if you attached mics with higher than typical P48 current draw the audio interface phantom power output may be inadequate. This occurred on my son's USB powered Focusrite 2i4 when a pair of AKG C414 mics were attached; the mics did not work with the 2i4 due to phantom power incompatibility.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 02-11-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmarle View Post
Hi,
Has anyone tried or acquired the Motu M4..? if so is it working OK with Window 10..? what do you think of it

Alan
Hi Alan…

I have owned 4 MOTU interfaces including an UltraLite. They are solid recording interfaces. I ran a studio for 8 years using MOTU interfaces and recording software.

Sweetwater Music has a great review of the M4 on it's YouTube channel, and there are several other detailed reviews on YouTube.

My experience with Mark of the Unicorn is their devices are very solid, quiet and have above average headroom and below average noise, and low latency. Sweetwater's review covers specs.

Additional things which attract me to the unit (beyond the quality) are the Power ON/OFF switch (uncommon on USB interfaces), separate 48v power control, and great in/out meters.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-12-2020, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Alan…

I have owned 4 MOTU interfaces including an UltraLite. They are solid recording interfaces. I ran a studio for 8 years using MOTU interfaces and recording software.

Sweetwater Music has a great review of the M4 on it's YouTube channel, and there are several other detailed reviews on YouTube.

My experience with Mark of the Unicorn is their devices are very solid, quiet and have above average headroom and below average noise, and low latency. Sweetwater's review covers specs.

Additional things which attract me to the unit (beyond the quality) are the Power ON/OFF switch (uncommon on USB interfaces), separate 48v power control, and great in/out meters.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Thanks for reply, there are no Motu M4 units available as yet in the UK, So all positive post comments are are very encouraging
Old 02-12-2020, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmarle View Post
Thanks for reply, there are no Motu M4 units available as yet in the UK, So all positive post comments are are very encouraging
Hi again…

Well I hope some are on the way soon! Great company, with great equipment, and great support!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-16-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi again…

Well I hope some are on the way soon! Great company, with great equipment, and great support!

Hi There,
I am still awaiting the arrival of the M4.. in UK, most suppliers are saying not in stock. Others like Thomann have changed there expected delivery date 3 times. One supplier said to me that there has been a driver problem with the M4 but he wouldn't be specific except to say maybe another month

Cheers
Alan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD